Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
There are only two smart metrics for measuring our drafting skill i

1) to compare historical odds at the position to how we did (we did better than average, and top 10 in the league since 2000). It's very different to draft 28th where your have about a 90% failure rate and succeed/fail than it is to say, draft 15th where your odds of failure are only 45%. You simply cannot compare teams without looking at the position they had and the odds of those picks working out.

2) to actually look at the draft history and see how many players were available. After Faried went, there was nothing in 2011. There may not be a single guy that works out after him. Hamilton is trash and then there is a list of a 30+ other guys that will never get contracts or will wash out after their first ones. When you actually pull up the draft results, it makes it even more clear that the guys like Gasol are total outliers. Dude is an allstar, but 30 teams passed on him and 17 teams passed on him TWICE.
What? 2011 later than 22 which are getting solid minutes in the NBA:

Reggie Jackon 24th OKC
Norris Cole 28th Miami via CHI
Jimmy Butler 30th CHI
Chandler Parsons 38th Houston
Lavoy Allen 50th Philly
E'Twaun Moore 55th BOS
Isaiah Thomas 60th SAC

So of the 38 players picked after Faried, 7 are are contributing significant minutes on an NBA team. That's about a 1 in 5 shot you got a player that year who could actually play after the 22nd pick. Again, I'm not suggesting there's an All Star late in every draft. Pick any year and I'll bet the results are are close to the same. I'm not asking for a late round all star, just someone who can play!

EDIT: Just looked at 2010, not as strong with only 3 of 38 after the 22nd pick playing significantly, but 9 of 38 in 2009, 6 of 38 in 2008...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I'm not sure he can do it this season and have it come off the cap. They can waive him and re-sign him, but I think that at least 22.7mill will count against next year's cap either way. It may open us up for more flexibility (a second max player) in 2014-2015, though. If agreeing to be waived and re-signed doesn't help our cap situation, he might as well finish t his contract and sign a new one this time next year for 5m/yr or whatever he's willing to take.
Can he do some sort of extension and average the salary? then again that might work against next year...

Last edited by Dirk's Knee; 05-16-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Dirk's Knee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cad von ghostymooglebane, moogleghostfacechamp, ummmm