Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2001, 09:36 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Love to get this guy on the Mavs! plffft!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Danny Manning said Monday that he would love to return to Utah for a second season, but that his contract wasn't good enough and he planned to opt out of the final year of his contract with the Jazz and become a free agent, the Kansas City Star reported.

Manning said he hoped to find a team that would pay him more than the $1.32 million he was supposed to earn in 2001-02. Manning made $1.2 million in 2000-01, his first season with the Jazz.

"The average player's salary is $4.5 (million), and I'm making a little over $1 (million)," said Manning, who averaged 7.4 points in just 15.9 minutes during the regular season. "Basically, I'm playing at the minimum I can play for right now. Wherever I go, I'm not going to get less than that."

Manning arrived in Utah fresh off a disappointing season with Milwaukee in 1999-2000 (he averaged 4.6 points). Manning, who wasn't happy with the Bucks, said he opted out of his two-year contract with the Bucks knowing he would have to play elsewhere for minimal money. Still, finding "the right fit" was more important. He thought he had it in Utah.

"I love Utah," said Manning, who led KU to the national title in 1988. "I told Kevin O'Connor, the general manager, that I want to be in Utah -- but not at that salary." Manning has until Saturday to make his decision official. If that happens, he can begin negotiating with franchises, including Utah, on July 18.

If he can't negotiate a new contract with the Jazz, Manning said, he has no clue where he will end up. But he doesn't expect to reunite with former Phoenix teammate Charles Barkley in Washington. Barkley and former Chicago Bulls star Michael Jordan have hinted that they may come out of retirement and play for the Wizards, for whom Jordan is part owner.

"You never say never," Manning chuckled. "But I don't see that in the future."
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote