Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2001, 09:39 PM   #1
PeterVesceyisdumb

PeterVesceyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone. I am new to the board, but have read many posts on here over the last week. However something Reeds wrote really made me upset. He said that Don Nelson was his least favorite maverick, and that the mavs would never win the title with nellie as coach. I guess he thinks that nellie is a bad coach, although I am not exactly sure how he feels about Nellie. He also said that Nellie is one of the worst evaluators of talent in the nba. He told someone to prove him wrong, so i will. And it won't be very difficult at all.
Don Nelson is the third winningest coach in the history of the nba. He has led a team to over 50 wins, 10 different times. He has won 3 coach of the year awards. He was voted by his peers, as one of the TEN GREATEST COACHES EVER!!! He took a bad milwaukee team and made them into a great team for almost a decade. He took a bad golden state team and made them into a great team. Now he has taken the mavs from a bad team, to a great team. He has taken three different bad teams and made them into great teams. I can't think of any other coach who has ever done that. Don Nelson is going to the HALL OF FAME as a coach. Only great coaches go to the hall of fame, just like only great players go to the hall of fame.
Also, Reeds said that don nelson was a bad evaluator of talent. I couldn't disagree more. In fact, i think don nelson is one of the best evaluators of talent ever. Reeds, i dare you to find another gm who has drafted better talent than Don Nelson has. It will be tough Reeds, cause I don't think that anyone ever has. Just look at all the players Nellie has drafted. Chris Webber with #1 pick, tim hardaway in middle of first round, mitch richmond, latrell sprewell in the late first round, Dirk Nowitzki with the #9 pick in the draft, etc. He has also drafted many others who have been allstars, or are still playing in the league today. And none of these picks were top 5 picks in any draft, except for webber. Let's just look at his drafts in dallas. In the first round, with no pick higher than #9 in any of the drafts, Nellie drafted Dirk Nowitzki(who will be one of the top 5 players in the league in a couple years), courtney alexander(would have probably been ROY if he was on the wizards the whole season), etan thomas(too early to tell),Donnel Harvey(lots of potential and doing very well in summer league), Chris Antsey (was a middle first round pick who although decent, didn't pan out), and Leon Smith (last pick in first round who didn't pan out). Lets look at the second round now. Nellie drafted greg buckner(best defender on the mavs, good player, and a steal at where he was drafted), Eduardo Najera(another second round steal with a ton of energy), and Wang Zhizhi(7 foot 1 center with a very nice jumpshot, and would have probably been a top 15 pick in this year's draft). That was in the second round. If a second rounder ever makes the team, he is considered a steal. These players could all become big contributors down the road for the mavs. Just from looking at how Nellie has drafted in dallas, not to mention the steve nash trade, he has clearly done a fabulous job in the draft.
Now back to a comment you made earlier Reeds. You said that nellie is the winningest coach in nba history without winning a title. I know Lenny Wilkins is the all time winningest coach ever, but I don't think lenny wilkins has ever coached a team to the title. I could be wrong on this, so if someone could look it up i'd appreciate it. However, i don't think lenny wilkens has ever won a title.
Anyway, the point is that Nellie is a great coach. He is probably the most underrated basketball mind in the history of the nba. People like to point out that he never won a title. However, I can't understand why people were saying, at the beginning of the season, that larry brown was such a great coach, when he had never gone to the finals in his career. Now he finally has, although it was in one of the weakest eastern conferences ever. Anyway i think Larry Brown is a great coach, but this just shows how undervalued Nellie is. Don Nelson has a better resume than larry brown does in the nba. If Nellie had jordan and pippen or shaq and kobe, i guarantee you nellie would have won many championships. The point I am making is that Nellie has done what few have been able to do. On three different teams, he has transformed a bad team into a great team. To me that's just as impressive as winning a title. Everywhere Nellie has gone, he has built his teams into winners. He has taken teams in bad situations and made them great teams. He didn't just go to a team like the bulls with mj and pippen, and win a title. He didn't go the lakers with shaq and kobe, and win a title. He made bad teams into great teams, and that is extremely impressive. Saying he isn't a great coach cause he hasn't won a title is ridiculous. Is Karl Malone a great player? Is john stockton? Is charles barkley? I could go on and on, but you get the point.
Just to sum things up, I'd like to say that dallas is extremely lucky to have Don Nelson as their coach. He will be in the HALL OF FAME AS A COACH. I really think he will coach the mavs to a championship in a few years. His resume as a coach is so full of accomplishments, that he can be compared to any of the greatest coaches. In other words, I am saying that Don Nelson is one of THE BEST COACHES EVER, and one of THE BEST EVALUATORS OF TALENT EVER.