Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
cin

cin is on a distinguished road
Default Carlisle named head coach of Pacers

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle....toryID=3383091

Carlisle Named Head Coach of Indiana Pacers

Wed September 3, 2003 05:56 PM ET

INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - Rick Carlisle, the NBA coach of the year for 2002, returned home as head coach of the Indiana Pacers Wednesday, back to the team he served as an assistant three seasons ago.

Fired as coach of the Detroit Pistons after leading them to the best record in the Eastern Conference last season, Carlisle replaces Isiah Thomas, who was sacked last week by Pacers' president of basketball operations, Larry Bird.

"I'm obviously thrilled to be back in Indiana with an opportunity to work for the Pacers," said 43-year-old Carlisle, who helped them to the franchise's first trip to the NBA Finals in 1999-2000.

"I said when I left, this is one of the best jobs in professional sports and my opinion hasn't changed.

"I've always had great respect for and enjoyed working with Donnie Walsh (Pacers CEO) and Larry Bird."

Carlisle spent two seasons as coach of the Pistons, leaving with a 100-64 record.

In his first season in Detroit, Carlisle led the Pistons to the club's first Central division title since 1989, earning coach of the year honors.

Last season, Carlisle took his team to the conference finals for the first time since 1991, but they were swept aside in four games by the New Jersey Nets and that sealed his fate.

Carlisle and Bird's friendship extends back to their playing days with the Boston Celtics, bringing an NBA title to Boston in 1986.

"I know our fans are familiar with him and I look forward to a great year," said Bird. "I've had great respect for Rick, both as a player and as a coach.

"He has tremendous knowledge of the game and I firmly believe he is the right coach for this team"
cin is offline   Reply With Quote