Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2003, 08:54 AM   #1
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Spurs.. not scary anymore?

Is it just me or do the Spurs not look intimidating anymore? For years, everytime the Mavs would play against the Spurs, I would feel that the Mavs always had a disadvantage in the inside game. It almost felt like the Mavs was the little brother. I was trying to think about why the Spurs seem weaker:

1. For years, the Mavs had no answer to the Duncan-Robinson combo. Thank God Robinson has retired. He always kills the Mavs. Even though Rasho had 18 pts, 7 rbs and 2 blocks, he just didn't look like he was a factor in the inside. Most of his shots came from jumpshots, I think its to the Mavs advantage when he does that. Rasho's defense isn't as intimidating as Robinson. Robinson vs. Bradley is a big mistmatch for Spurs. Rasho vs. Bradley seems like a toss up to me.

2. Dirk is getting help on Duncan. Without any legitimate shooters, the Mavs can double team Duncan all night long. I think the Mavs are happy to let the Spurs shoot from the outside.

3. No one on the Spurs can guard Walker. Duncan and Rose are too slow. Maybe Bowen and Ginobili might give him probelms but I think he is still a handful for them. He's taller than both.

4. I think Nellie has found the answer to Rose. For years, the Mavs have tried Najera on Rose and for years Rose has gotten the best of Najera. I don't know why but Rose seems to outmuscle Najera most of the time. So what did Nellie do? He got bigger muscle in the form of Danny Fortson. I think Rose's game is based on rebounds. If he can't get rebounds, he's out of rhythm. Fortson keeps him off the glass.

5. No good backup pg. I think the loss of Speedy Claxton is huge as well. Nash and Parker is a good matchup. Being a homer, I think Nash is still the better player but I'm sure Spurs fans can argue your head off that Parker is better. Anyway, after Parker its Anthony Carter and Jason Hart. I don't think Carter can backup Parker adequately in the playoffs and Hart is just a rookie. Let's just say the Mavs have the advantage with Best and Delk.

6. What happened to these people?
Turkoglu: Has the size to give the Mavs fits but its looks like he likes to play outside and take the jumpshot more than he should. It fine if they go in but he usually misses his three pointers. I thought with his athletic skills, he would be a force by now. Seems like make to many dumb plays and isn't a good defensive player. Maybe he needs more time to play? or maybe he missed his good friends Peja and Divac?

Mercer: Isn't this guy a good shooting guard? What happened to him?

Horry: Maybe Pop is saving him for the playoffs? Horry can still defend Dirk but for some reason wasn't in the game last night. His magical threes aren't falling anymore as well. Could he be out of gas?

Willis: Frankly, I would use Willis more than Rasho. I guess all that money they paid to Rasho is forcing Pop to use him more. Willis gives the Mavs fits in the inside though.

Based on the personnel, I think the Mavs are now better than the Spurs. One on one, the Mavs still don't have someone that can stop Duncan. The beauty is they don't have to play him one on one. They can double him everytime.