Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2004, 07:47 AM   #1
NBAGnome

NBAGnome is on a distinguished road
Default Should Walker shoot any threes at all?

Now, i'm not silly enough to think Walker isn't a good player and doesn't help our team in a lot of ways. But I do think he is hurting us in his shot selection. Lets look at statistics.

Right now : 0.298% from 3 land, 31 games, 161 attempts
Last season: 0.323% from 3 land, 78 games, 582 attempts

Hes had worse seasons. In 99-00 he shot 3 pointers at .256%, and it was still a active shot in his shot selection.

Why does the 3 need to be in his shot selection? Does it help us? Sure, he can get hot and make them at a good percentage for a FEW games, but the vast majority of the time hes throwing up bricks.

At the moment Dirk's 3 stroke isn't that great, or perhaps its improved over the last few games i'm not sure...but hes shooting them at a similar percentage thus far in the season, but Dirk is a player that has been very effective from 3 land in the recent past, unlike Walker, he will get back his stroke before the season is over and certainly by the time playoffs roll around.

But even with Dirk's 3 pointers not very effective thus far, Nash and Finley are both shooting them at very respectable percentages.

People say he only shoots them when hes open, well thats great, he can do that all day, but its still not helping us, settling for a 29% attempt just doesn't cut it for a championship caliber team. Sometimes your open for the 3 because the other team knows that statistics say it'll only hurt your team if you take one.

I think Walkers great, hes very talented, very versatile, he can help our team significantly. But why does he have to shoot the 3? I don't know of any other player in the league that shoots that many threes with the kind of percentage Walker has. The other guys that jack up as many as Walker jack them up because they make alot of them. But Walker doesn't...

The facts are you only have so many possessions of the ball. The Spurs and Lakers have won the last 5 championships because they convert those possessions with dominant players. Shaq shoots at a stupid percentage normally, and Duncan can be relied on to shoot slightly over 50%. Antoine needs to stop practicing 3s, practice free throws instead, and pass the ball to Nash or Finley.