Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road
Default NVE to Indiana and Dampier to Dallas

Ok...take this for whatever it's worth...this is from CBSSportsline...

"A Denver Post source says that Portland and Indiana have expressed an interest in Nick Van Exel, who is unhappy playing with Golden State. One rumor suggests that Portland would send Rasheed Wallace to Golden State for Van Exel and Erick Dampier. Van Exel has been suffering knee problems, which may affect his trade value. "

Two things to note: 1) This was written a few days ago...obviously Wallace is now in Atlanta. 2) Do you find it funny that a "Denver Post source" is reporting the rumor?

I can see why Indiana would be interested in NVE. They're probably a decent PG away from not only securing the Eastern conference but maybe a chance to win it all. You think NVE's knees would miraculously get better in Indiana?

Here's a trade proposal:

Dallas trades Antoine Walker and Travis Best

Dallas receives Erick Dampier, Austin Croshere, and Kenny Anderson

Golden State trades Nick Van Exel and Erick Dampier

Golden State receives Antoine Walker, Jonathan Bender, and Kenny Anderson

Indiana trades Austin Croshere, Jonathan Bender, and Kenny Anderson

Indiana receieves Nick Van Exel

Why Dallas does it? I think we all agree that Dampier could help immensely at the center position. Croshere is a nice player to come off the bench...although he's expensive. Anderson is a slight upgrade from Travis Best. This deal could work without involving Anderson to Dallas...but I just threw him in there.

Why Golden State does it? Finally gets rid of NVE. Dampier apparently will opt out of his contract at the end of the year. They get something for nothing. Can evaluate Walker...see if he's a fit...if not...they say goodbye to Walker and get 16 million in salary cap space at the end of next year. Bender is an engima. The kid is talented...but he's done absolutely nothing up to this point.

Why Indiana does it? See above. Yes there's injury questions to NVE...but is he really that hurt? I'm not sure. I think a change of scenery would do him good. Plus they unload Croshere's terrible contract.
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote