Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road
Default GS/Dal/Cle - I think this works

From the Daily Online (Golden State paper):

"ESCHY'S DONE: It's official: Third-string center Evan Eschmeyer, who could find himself No. 1 on the Warriors' depth chart at some point this off-season if Erick Dampier and Adonal Foyle leave via free agency, won't play this season.

Hopeful of returning from surgeries on both knees sometime before the All-Star break, Eschmeyer has decided to have a second procedure on his left knee, ending any hope he'll make his Warriors debut in the next two months.

Eschmeyer, acquired from Dallas in the Antawn Jamison trade, has three years remaining on his Warriors deal. Dampier has the option of voiding the final two years of his contract this summer, and Foyle's deal expires in June. "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of comments: I feel bad for Eschmeyer...but I'm sorry...it's sad if Evan is potentially your #1 option. Golden State has to address their center position somehow. I know I've proposed Walker to the Warriors for Damp and Robinson. I still think it's a good trade for both teams...however...its pretty evident that the Warriors have a gaping hole at the center position if Dampier opts out and Foyle leaves via free agency. This is where Cleveland comes in. They would like to trade Illgauskas. He would be OK in Dallas...but I prefer Dampier. This trade works...I'm curious to get your thoughts.

Dallas trades Antoine Walker

Dallas receives Erick Dampier and Clifford Robinson

Cleveland trades Zydrunas Illgauskas

Cleveland receives Antoine Walker

Golden State trades Erick Dampier and Clifford Robinson

Golden State receives Zydrunas Illgauskas

Why Dallas does it? We've already discussed it ad nauseum...but Dampier and Robinson are two guys that can definitely help shore up the frontline...in particular Damp.

Why Cleveland does it? Silas is not a huge fan of Illgauskas. They already have Battie and the developing Diop at the center position. Walker, Boozer, Battie, Diop isn't a bad front line to pair up with James and Wagner.

Why Golden State does it? We talked about how attractive Walkers' contract is for next year...how he comes off the books. Illgauskas is the same deal...he'll be a free agent next year. But Golden State does this deal becuase they at least have some insurance at the center position. Again...Eschmeyer has potentially your #1 option? That's scary. And for those who say...let Damp walk...well...if they do...they still would be over the cap...so they can't sign a legit big man. At least with the acquistion of Illgauskas...they not only get talent and salary cap flexibilty but address a potenital glaring hole at the center position. They get something for Dampier. I mentioned this in another post...but if Van Exel remains a Warrior...his contract as well as Illgauskas contract will both be up...thats presents a ton of options for the Warriors.
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote