Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2004, 01:12 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do the Mavs not have a definitive go to guy?

I've heard alot of crap about the Mavs not having a go to guy the past few weeks. You know what? Whoever mentioned that is exactly right. Now, let's examine why the Mavs do not have a go to guy.

First off, I believe we should establish the fact that the Mavs did have a definitive go to guy establish himself the last half of the season last year and on into the playoffs. Dirk Nowitzki averaged around 28 points and 11 boards the last half of the season in 2002-2003. He continued his dominance into the playoffs. Dirk developed the attitude that no one could stop him and that the 4th quarter was his. Dirk was the league MVP the second half of the season last year in my opinion. There was no one better.

What happened? Well, we can first look back to the second round of the playoffs last season. After averaging 30+ points against Portland and just tearing them to shreds in virtually every game, Don Nelson decided to make him a passer going into the Sacramento series. Now, the Mavs went on to win the series in 7 games with much help from Webber injuring his knee. But, after the Mavs failed to close out the Kings through 6 games, Nellie finally decided to allow Dirk to be the focal point of the offense. What happened? Dirk goes off for 30+ points and around 20 boards in leading the Mavs over the Kings and into the Western Conference Finals. Unfortunately, an injury to Dirk ended his season and ended the Mavs title hopes.

How is he rewarded for his play in the 2002-2003 season in which he averaged 25+ points for the season including around 28 the last half of the season? Of course, Nellie decides to trade for someone to take his place as the focal point in the offense. Nellie gets his dream player in Antoine Walker. He now has his point forward that he has dreamed of for years and years.

What impact did this have on the Mavs? What impact did it have on Dirk? Through the first half of the season, the ball ran through Nash and Walker. Walker led the team in field goal attempts for much of the season. Dirk struggles to get looks as he's forced to take a back seat to a vastly inferior player on the offensive side of the court. The Mavs sputtered offensively. The Mavs sputtered on the road. The Mavs had absolutely no identity as they tried to incorporate a new offensive style. Did Nellie make an adjustment? Dirk sputtered in his reduced role. It wasn't just the lack of shots that he was getting, but it was the lack of touches. When Dirk actually got touches, he almost had to shoot the ball in fear of not receiving another pass the next 5-10 possessions.

Why did this occur? Wasn't it painfully obvious that Walker should not be the focal point of the offense? Wasn't it painfully obvious that Dirk was the best offensive player on the team?

Nellie completely undermined the aggressiveness that Dirk had developed the last half of the season by forcing him to take a back seat. Nellie completely undermined the identity that the Mavs had finally established by forcing Dirk to take a back seat. There is no excuse for such a horrendous decision from a head coach.

Why? Was Nellie simply being stubborn and wanting to do things his way? What else did it do to Dirk's game? Dirk either hit his shot or got to the line over 62% of the time in which he got the ball while posting up the second half of the 2002-2003 season. With Walker becoming the focal point of the offense, Dirk was suddenly forced to the perimeter and virtually only the perimeter. Nellie completely stiffled Dirk's development in the low post as well as halting his development as the go to guy.

I don't know. I've got nothing left to say about Nellie. I sincerely believe that Nellie's the reason why Dirk isn't the most dominant offensive player in the NBA. Nellie's failure to utilize Dirk in the low post has completely halted his development. That alone is reason enough to fire Nellie. Nellie's insistance in using Walker as a point forward and making Dirk play second fiddle to him is reason enough to fire Nellie.

I'm so thoroughly disgusted with his act. He set the Mavs back at least a year. He set Dirk's development as the go to guy by at least a year. He made me sit through a year of Antoine Walker. That alone is enough to fire Nellie.

I'm out.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote