Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
lonny22

lonny22 is on a distinguished road
Default What do the Mavs need?

I feel that a lot of people will acknowledge the Mavs need to reduce the roster, maybe cut down on the 2/3 glut, get a real SF, and get a backup 4. We could also use a good shooter off the bench. With that in mind I have a few thoughts.

There are still some free agents out there the Mavs could use. It creates another roster spot, but the Mavs administration may decide to add players and then do buyouts or dumpoffs. A baseball-type farm team would really help right now. It's hard to stockpile players for now and the future.

Karl Malone- He might come for the vet. minimum and he gives us a chance to win it all.
Toni Kukoc- He shoots, plays many positions, and has a high basketball IQ. I don't know if he takes a lot less money.
Rodney White- Good player, doubt he comes for $1 Million.
Keon Clark- Doubt we get him, but his options may run out.
Marcus Fizer- Doubt he comes, either.

As far as trades go, the Mavs after the Warrior trade don't have a lot of guys left to trade. I doubt the Mavs trade Fin for Vinsanity, so he's off the list. Salaries are approximate and off the top of my head (They're pretty close):

TAW $7.5 Million good for insurance, maybe if team needs 3's.
Henderson $8 Million expiring. In a multi-player trade we wait until October.
Bradley $4 Million good for backup center need.
Booth $5.7 Million good for backup center duty. Must wait until September for big trade.
Stackhouse $7 Million and desirable. Trade moratorium is up next week.
Steffanson $1 Million is cheap and reduces roster in trades. Will the Mavs keep him for the future?
Eschmeyer $3.2 Million and not wanted. Can't make big trade until October.
Dickau $800,000 and here until October for big trade.

I looked at every team's roster to see who had open spots and who need to reduce like the Mavs. I found that most teams without enough players either have players with salaries like the Mavs or a player(s) that they won't trade. Phoenix isn't on the list because Bradley and Booth aren't good enough to lose Marion and they won't want Stackhouse. Here's the list:

Utah doesn't have the salaries, but they might take Bradley for a draft pick. It's hard for me to pick between Bradley and Booth, but somebody has to go with 6 centers on the roster. The Jazz would probably rather have Shawn. I wish they'd take Eschmeyer instead of the Mavs buying him out.

Denver has spots and money. One of the centers might go for a pick.

The Nets have spots and 2 big trade exceptions. They could take a center and Henderson or TAW. I doubt they take TAW.

We might trade with the Raptors. I doubt the Vince rumors, but we could be in the market for Rose and Donyell. We'd fess up Stackhouse, a center, and Henderson. If you take out Donyell, it's Stack and Henderson. I can't speculate on TAW going, but I feel between the 2 wounded warriors he's less desirable because of Hendu's expiring contract.

The Knicks amazingly have roster spots with the highest payroll. We could fetch the Thomas Twins and Anderson or just 2 of them. That would be TAW, Henderson, Stackhouse, and Booth for all 3. Bradley, Esch, and Stef are the wrong color to be traded to the Knicks.

Last is the Bucks. They have a shortage of 2/3's, but I'm asking for Van Horn and Joe Smith. The Mavs would part with Stackhouse, a healthy and only healthy TAW, and Henderson or a center. Van Horn could go for Stack and TAW by himself.

Buyouts are an option. They might as well buy Esch out.

Avery not signing creates one spot.

How much can we really expect from Stef since we have a lot of guys in the backcourt? I hate to cast off players, but there is only 1 ball.

I like keeping Bradley and Booth as the backups for Dampier. I don't want to trade them for draft picks.

Could TAW play in Dallas this year? He's actually a SF, but costs a lot. They might as well buy him out if we can't trade him and they won't play him.

Will Henderson be healthy? He could be a decent backup if he's healthy. He won't get bought out.

Stack is a mystery. We better get somebody good if we don't keep him.

Please discuss. This is a good opportunity for the Mavs to win it all if they play all their cards right in the next 2 months.
lonny22 is offline   Reply With Quote