V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default M'Benga is backup center "He's dominant" says Nelly

Mbenga's emergence 'shocking' to Nelson

Rookie free agent already Mavs' backup center, coach says

12:12 AM CDT on Saturday, October 23, 2004

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

D.J. Mbenga was viewed as an intriguing prospect when the Mavericks opened training camp.

"I'd say right now he'd be my backup center," coach Don Nelson declared Friday before the team left for weekend games against Milwaukee and New York. "How do you keep him off the floor?"Erick Dampier, Calvin Booth and Shawn Bradley were projected to be the team's top three centers. The idea was to develop Mbenga and first-round pick Pavel Podkolzin in the hope they could contribute next season.

Mbenga has forced the Mavericks to amend that plan. The 7-foot rookie free agent has averaged 5.7 points, 4.3 rebounds and one blocked shot in three preseason games and is the sort of active, athletic presence the team wants on the court.

Booth, who isn't as strong or physical as Mbenga, is picking up more time at power forward to accommodate the rookie.

"I'm surprised," Nelson said of Mbenga. "I didn't think he'd be ready for a year, and here he's ready now.

"He's not getting in foul trouble. He's dominant. Every single practice, every single game, he's been a factor. It's amazing what he's done. He's improving every day."

Podkolzin, meanwhile, was scheduled to arrive in New York on Friday night from Russia. He'll fly to Dallas today, undergo his physical and begin individual workouts with Mark Bryant and Greg Dreiling. Look for him to spend the season on the injured list after he undergoes surgery to correct a pituitary condition.

"This is kind of shocking to me," Nelson said of Mbenga's emergence. "But it's happening in the flow of the camp, and it's like a train. You can't stop it.

"I'm not trying to stop it."

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote