Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2004, 09:37 PM   #1
auffe34

auffe34 will become famous soon enough
Default Funny comment about Nellie in Phil Jackson's book

"Up here in the clouds, I'm still savoring the victory, although there is one tiny dark cloud on the horizon. Karl, I'm certain, will be suspended for an incident involving Steve Nash. Early in the third quarter, trying to knock a rebound out of Karl's hands, Nash was met with an elbow to the chops. I leaped off the bench immediately, which for me in a regular season contest is about as frequent an occurence as a Shaquille three pointer. I was screaming for a foul on Nash, so when the official called it on Karl, I picked up a technical foul, my second of the year, normally about my limit for an entire season. I used to acquire Ts more routinely but then it dawned on me that all I was doing was giving free points to the opposition. Sure, maybe you'll get a call later in the game, and I can see occasions when a technical may send a message to your team, but there's a manipulative aspect to such outbursts that offend an old-fashioned purist like myself. I will argue for calls that should have gone our way, but there is a line that I will not cross. The game, whatever else, it may signify, is just that a game. Many coaches adopt a much different view. Nellie, for instance, when his team was stinking up the joint used to tell the refs: "Throw me out of this game, I'm going to call you a c***sucker and a motherf*****. Now throw me out, I can't stand my team." The refs didn't always submit. "I'm not throwing you out," one might say. "You're going to have to watch this s*** yourself." Nellie would still find a way to get thrown out, jump in a cab, and be in his hotel room before the game was over."
auffe34 is offline   Reply With Quote