Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2004, 02:59 AM   #11
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Damned... Detroit Fans are Trash.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Quote:
Provoked verbally or physically? You can't punch a guy for an insult, the law is very clear on that.
Sure, you can't punch a guy for merely insulting you, but you can use a reasonable degree of force to protect yourself from any person(s) who assault you. The actions that the first fan took in throwing threatening profanity and a full beer at Artest constitutes both assault and battery, thus the question of whether or not Artest used reasonable force to protect himself from the aggressor(s) in the crowd is something that only a court of law can decide.

Assault:
[i]A crime that occurs when one person tries to physically harm another in a way that makes the person under attack feel immediately threatened. Actual physical contact is not necessary; threatening gestures that would alarm any reasonable person can constitute an assault.

Battery:
A crime consisting of physical contact that is intended to harm someone. Unintentional harmful contact is not battery, no mater how careless the behavior or how severe the injury. A fist fight is a common battery; being hit by a wild pitch in a baseball game is not.
Can't argue with that. I don't know what happened exactly, and nobody except those involved know what was said. It sounds to me like Artest went over-board, but I couldn't say for sure.

I'm sure everyone can agree that it was an ugly incident. I hope we don't have to see plastic shields between the fans and the court or something now.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote