Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default New starting point guard

Armstrong might be joining starters
Nelson ponders making Harris third guard; Finley return close

01:10 AM CST on Tuesday, December 7, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks likely will have a new starting point guard tonight at Minnesota.

Coach Don Nelson said after Monday's 101-85 loss to Detroit that he is toying with the idea of starting newcomer Darrell Armstrong in place of rookie Devin Harris. That Armstrong, acquired Friday from New Orleans, opened the second half against the Pistons with the starting five was a sign that a change is coming.

"Maybe it's a good time to make Devin the third guard," Nelson said. "I still think he's going to be a very good player for us. But I think this is something I'm going to go to."

Harris has started all 19 games after winning the job in camp. The No. 5 overall pick in the draft said he's disappointed, but understanding, if Nelson makes the change.

"I'm struggling right now," he said. "I'm trying to climb over that wall."

Armstrong said he felt more comfortable Monday than he did in a brief stint on Saturday, barely 24 hours after getting traded.

"Devin has already had a taste of the starting lineup and playing a lot," Armstrong said. "He's going to be a great player in this league. When you're young and you're not used to this many minutes and this many games, it can be tough."

No major moves coming: It's inevitable that the Mavericks get linked to trade rumors regarding New Jersey's Jason Kidd and other major players who are on the block.

It's their reputation that gets their name dragged into the speculation, not anything that is happening now, owner Mark Cuban said.

"Other than a periphery thing, like Darrell Armstrong, we're not going to make any major trades," Cuban said. "Everybody fills a role on this team right now and for the future."

Finley nears return: Michael Finley's return is going to happen sooner, rather than later, the 6-7 swingman said.

Finley has been out since Nov. 11 with a sprained right ankle. The Mavericks made the decision to give Finley plenty of time to get the injury healed, rather than risk pushing him back early.

"I'll be back soon, hopefully," Finley said. Asked if there was a chance he could play this week, he said: "Yeah, there's a chance."

The Mavericks' only trip of the season to Finley's hometown of Chicago comes next Monday. Finley would like to be playing by then, but not so he can play in front of the home folks.

"I want to be there for my team and my teammates, not for anybody else," he said. "But even if I didn't play, I'd still need 50 tickets."