Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Trouble abrewin'

Artest Returns but Says He Won't Back Down

By JOHN ELIGON
Published: October 12, 2005

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., Oct. 11 - Before playing his first N.B.A. game in almost 11 months Tuesday night, Pacers forward Ron Artest insisted he had learned from last year's brawl with Detroit Pistons fans, which resulted in the longest suspension in league history.

But even if he has matured, do not expect Artest to be mild-mannered every time he plays or politically correct every time he speaks.

Talking with reporters at Continental Arena before Indiana lost to the Nets, 105-103, in the preseason opener for both teams, Artest showed he was still in touch with his inner Rodman.

"I'm going to be very edgy, and I'm not going to balance it," he said. "I'm ready to play some games and sell some records."

Artest's return to the court went off without incident and he had 8 points and 3 rebounds. Perhaps more telling, however, was that the Nets' Vince Carter, whom Artest guarded during most of his 12 minutes in the game, scored 18 points.

"I thought Ron struggled," Pacers Coach Rick Carlisle said. "At times, he went away from what we were doing as a team, and that disappointed me."

The Nets' three stars - Carter, Jason Kidd and Richard Jefferson - each played less than 20 minutes in the team's first tuneup.

Guard Zoran Planinic hit a running layup with 5.9 seconds remaining to give the Nets the victory.

The newly acquired big man Marc Jackson displayed Alonzo Mourning-like qualities. He was boisterous in every thing he did - screaming for help on defense, leaping over two Indiana players for a rebound and bowling into the lane to attempt a layup.

"That's just me," said Jackson, who sustained a mild groin strain but said he would be O.K. "I just love this game."

Artest seemed mellow. He has not played an official N.B.A. game, nor has he sold many records, since Nov. 19, when he climbed into the stands at the Palace of Auburn Hills in search of a fan who had thrown a cup of liquid on him. That cost Artest the final 73 games of the regular season, as well as the Pacers' 13 postseason games.

Artest made it clear that he was eager to lace up his basketball shoes again.

Artest, 25, said he played a lot of pickup games and practiced with the Pacers during his suspension. But he acknowledged he needed time to settle in.

"I've got to just let it come to me in the offense," Artest said after the game. "I just kept adjusting defensively. When I left last season, it was a totally different style, so I have to get back my timing and adjust."

Artest started on Tuesday night, but Carlisle has considered bringing him off the bench, hoping he will bring more offense to the second unit.

Although some may wonder whether Artest will be worried that the officials will watch him more closely than other players and will back down his aggressive play, Carlisle has no such apprehension.

"He's here to play, he's here to win," Carlisle said. "His moods are much more affected by winning and losing than anything else. I love having guys like that."

Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal said he was happy to have Artest back for his skills and his personality.

O'Neal said he had seen a relaxed Artest during training camp. Artest, usually quiet, has been very talkative and upbeat, O'Neal said.

"He's more at peace," O'Neal said. "He's a really happy guy right now. He really likes to be around the locker room and the guys now."

Fans at the Meadowlands had little reaction to Artest. But he will probably be subject to heckling as the season progresses. He assured that there would not be a repeat of what happened last year at the Palace.

"I'm only worried about my fans," Artest said. "That's it. Indiana fans."
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote