Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default Houston, we have a problem

So how 'bout Houston?

The team that was supposed to be in championship contention.

Swift was supposed to instantly make them better than us, and be a huge acquisition.
Now they are 3-10 with the most recent loss coming to the Grizzlies. How many more games can they lose and still make the playoffs? How will they play when TMac comes back? Even with TMac back, they could easily struggle to reincorporate him in to the offense. If they want to equal last season's 51 win total, they have to win 70% of their remainig games. The 8th seed last season was Memphis, hitting the 45 win mark. For the Rockets to equal that, they must win 61% of their remaining games. Can they do it? Are they digging themselves in to a deep hole much too early in the season?

My view:
They have the talent to do much better than this. Even with TMac out, they should be playing 500 ball, but they aren't. If TMac is out for another 7-10 games (and they continue to lose), I think they might quickly find themselves out of the playoff picture barring a collapse of the bottom of the West's teams. When TMac returns, I expect to see them struggle quite a bit. Right now TMac is their leader on the court, but they've been without him and will probably struggle to adapt to his marching orders. I'd love to see another Mavs-Rockets playoff series, but for them to pull through, they will probably have to win a 7 game series against a 'top' team in the West. A possible opponent could be the LA Clippers (calling it really early). Sam I Am will probably have health problems come playoff time and could be the key to the Rockets facing the Mavs for a second straight post season.

I know the season is young, but its far enough along to know the Rockets must turn things around quick or else their post season ambitions will be gone.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote