Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dalm's thoughts on what they should do this offseason and why....

Plan as a "whole" and don't do it if you can't do it all.

Trade Dampier/Marshall to Memphis for Battier/SNT Bobby Jackson

Why Memphis would do this... Memphis is stagnated if they don't make some changes. They have liked Damp for years, and frankly he would be better with Memphis than what Battier is with them. They would have the player to work with Pau, that could allow him to get to anther level, and take the defensive nightmares away from him. Bobby J could easily be gone either way, so this is basically a Damp for Battier swap, but they also get a young swingman in Marshall.

Why Dallas would do this... Dallas needs a defensive minded (but with some offensive game) player to back up Dirk. Someone who would actually do some of the "dirty" work, but could still knock down an occasional three. Damp is an assett, but one who's skills are basically duplicated by Diop and PPod. Diop is the better shot blocker, but Damp is stronger, PPod should be heavier and stronger than both. If they see any game in PPod at all, then him and Diop should be able to compensate for the loss of Damp. DJ is the player who will grow and benefit the most. This would allow for DJ to get lots more playing time, and allow for his game to improve greatly. DJ is one of the few players in the league I see with the potential to be a descent defender against Amare, TD, and KG. Is he raw, yes. Would I take the chance -- from what I have seen - probably. Do Mark, and Avery know better than I -- I would have to say yes here as well since they see him every day, and in practice. BJackson becomes the backup 1/2 swingman and shooter. It is a role he would excel in.

SNT Terry, Daniels, #1 pick to Seattle for R. Lewis and Watson.

Why Seattle would do this.... Seattle needs a change, and are having all kinds of trouble with their arena, etc. They don't want to lose money by going over the lux tax line, but they really don't have much to be trading either. They just need a change. JT is from Seattle, and would be coming home. JT running the point with Ray Allen would be good, and if you gave them Daniels to take the place of R. Lewis in their lineup and kicked in the #1 this year, I think you could convince them to make this trade. Watson hasn't been starting anyway for them, due to his offensive inefficiency.

Why Dallas would do this..... Robin...... R. Lewis is a player with very good length, can shoot the three, drive, and play some D. He would be coming back to his home state. He is still young, and is used to playing Robin to Ray Allen already. This would move Howard to the SG position which is a role that he could fill in nicely as a defensive player, with offense. Watson would be the defensive point guard that the Mavs need anyway. They don't need offense out of their point at times during the game.

Resign DJ, Griff, extend Howard, move DA to the coaching staff.

PG: Devin Harris*, Earl Watson
1/2: Bobby Jackson
SG: Griff
2/3: Howard*, Stackhouse
SF: R. Lewis*
3/4: Battier, Powell
PF/C: Dirk Nowitzki*
C: Diop*, DJ, PPod
* starters

This team could run, bang, shoot, defend, Be Big - even when going small.
Harris, Jackson, Howard, Lewis, Dirk -- could run with Phoenix and play right with them.
Harris, Howard, Lewis, Battier, Dirk -- could cause major defensive nightmare for people.

I could see this team playing any style, any time, any way, and still being able to play on the defensive end of the court. Admittedly PPod, Griff, Powell and Watson would be situational guys who had one skill so valuably needed at times, but they could play with any team.

Now you would have more shooters, and slashers which would cause other problems for teams.

Thoughts?

I like the Paul Pierce idea, but don't see it happening.
I like Terry, but he is the one trading piece that could go, because Devin Harris really needs to be the starting PG next year.
I like Damp, but if PPod, and DJ are to get playing time, his skills have already been seen in other players.
I like Daniels, but I don't see him starting for Avery, and Dallas has to many needs to not utilize him if they can. His shot will not allow him to be a true SG, and that is a problem when Howard has many of the same if not better slashing skills.
KG will never be traded inside the division.
Kirilenko I can't see happening.
Not enough D in Peja.

Who else is there that could be Robin, and still play D.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote