Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tell me why you don't like Hockey

I thought maybe we could have a civilized conversation without people posting things like "hockey sucks"

Tell me why you don't like hockey.

I'm originally from Phoenix, I discovered hockey when I was 12 years old and living in Los Angeles. The roller hockey community in particular is very strong in L.A.

Having spent the last 9 years in Dallas, I found a home at Reunion and the AAC with the Stars, and by extention the Mavericks.

I find the reasons people don't like hockey are:

1. Their parents didn't like it, so they don't either. (Sports is like religion, or racism, or anything else. Your upbringing tends to scew your judgement, steer you one way or the other)

2. Hockey is expensive. As a child who wants to play hockey you need somewhere between $500 and $1000 dollars worth of equipment. You have to buy new sticks all the time. League fees. etc. My parents bought for me the most god aweful used cheap crap equipment ever, but I didn't care.

3. You've never been to an NHL game. seriously, $12 tickets available. Go to a game. have a beer, you'll have a good time. I promise. Sit closer for a better experience of course. Dont try to judge hockey from your crappy tv set. HD hockey however, is greatness. Watch the playoffs. It's as dramatic as sports gets.

4. People say they don't understand it. Power plays, icing, offsides, etc. I bet half of the people that would say that, know exactyl what the ref signal for ineligible reciever down field is, so that's a lame excuse.

I got lucky, I fell in love with hockey when I was a kid. But it's not too late for you, if your open minded and want to try something new and realize how incredibly boring baseball is.

I took my fiance to her first hockey game ever last year, first game of the season. From that night on, she was hooked. She's got her Marty Turco jersey and she can't wait to get back for next season screaming and yelling.

Let the hockey bashing begin