Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Celtics @ Mavs: 53-11

Edit: This game was played in Dallas - not Boston. Title is wrong.

After a two game losing streak, Dallas found themselves needing a victory at home against a young Celtics team before heading out East on the road for the next 6 games. The Mavs started the game very sluggishly. They looked like they still had the last two games on their mind, a the young Celtics took a free shot at the Mavs. Boston was hot from the outside, and Paul Pierce was making life even more difficult for the Mavs without Buck and Devean. The Mavs were fortunate to find themselves down by only 10 at the half. But Dallas didn't need long to come roaring back into the game in the third quarter. They tied the game almost immediately with a big run, but they were never able to completely gain control of the game. The Celtics answered every run that Dallas made, and the game ended up coming down to the last possessions of the game.

I thought this was a great game for Dallas. This was the sort of game they needed to forget about what has happened in the last week, and since the game went down to the wire, it was a great game to work on crunch-time execution again after uncharacteristically failing miserably against the Suns.

Dallas won't be very happy with their game tonight. They got the win, and that is the most important thing. I didn't think the team played very well though. The defense wasn't up to par, and for much of the game, the offensive execution wasn't much better. Dallas even had some trouble taking care of the boards at times. Like I said, I thought the team looked kind of hungover after the last two losses.

How often does a guy coming off of a 30 point, 16 rebound, 6 assist night need redemption? If Dirk needed it, he got it tonight. Of all of the Mavs, I thought Dirk was the guy who looked most sluggish. I read his comment about how the Suns game kept him from sleeping, and all I was thinking while watching him the first 30 minutes of the game was that he looked like he hadn't slept. If he was sleepwalking on the floor though, he sure woke up in a big way. Dirk absolutely took the game over in the second half and delivered in a big way for his team. He had 26 points in the last 16 minutes of the game! 30 points, 12 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 blocks. More importantly, he delivered. I know we have all come to expect that since we watch this team every night, but I thought it was great to see him have to go the line in crunch time and knock those free throws down. It's not fair for a guy to get blamed for not doing it twice, but never get credit for doing it every other time in his career. I know Dirk's not into "credit-taking", and I doubt anyone nationally will give it anyway in this kind of game, but it was still good for him to get back up there again.

I thought Josh Howard was the best player on the floor for the first three quarters of the game. Josh single handedly kept the Mavs in the game by driving the basketball and attacking the Celtics defense. After Dirk got going, Josh's big contributions came through his defense against Paul Pierce and hustle plays like diving on the floor and crashing the boards. He had 30 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks. On any other night, he would be the big story of the game. Dirk's late game stardom overshadowed what Josh did that was equally as important.

Jason Terry just hits big shots. He had 16 points, including a couple of big baskets that kept Dallas close. Jet did a nice job of running the two man game with Dirk in the fourth quarter too. He made sure that Dirk was able to do damage.

Damp and Diop combined for 4 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks. I thought Diop was the better, more effective center tonight. He flashed in a good way in the fourth quarter. His energy was a big boost to the team.

Devin Harris got another start in the absence of George and Buck. I thought Devin had a nice few minutes to open the game by getting into the lane, knocking down a jumper, and getting others some good looks. He tailed off afterwards, but he was able to make some important contributions later in the game by being a pest on defense. He also got into the lane several times for finishes that put the Celtics on their heels. He had his usual 9 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals.

Jerry Stackhouse came back down to Earth after a great game the last time out. Tonight Stack wasn't able to shoot as well, but he still worked his way to 11 points off the bench, and although he was a little outmatched while trying to guard Pierce, he did compete. I think his toughness and competitiveness really rubs off on his team. And make no mistake, Stack was on the floor when it mattered too. Maybe that's the best compliment you can give him.

Austin Croshere had a couple of nice moves inside. He make a few bad decisions with the ball too, but he did his job and gobbled up minutes.

Mo Ager got a little run in the first half. I thought he looked good on defense. He was quick and moved his feet well. I think he even forced a turnover or two. He never took a shot, and I thought he had a good look or two. He looked like he knew he shouldn't be shooting. I think he got the message from earlier in the season, don't you?

JJ Barea got some more minutes. He did just fine as a third point guard.

But like I said, this game was all about Dallas being able to execute in the second half. The team finally tightened the screws on defense, and started playing more crisply on the offensive end as well. Good win, and I'm not sure many people would have thought that after playing the Celtics.

Last edited by ddh33; 03-16-2007 at 10:21 PM.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote