Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2002, 10:16 AM   #1
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

(I'm predicting there's going to be a total of no more than 3-4 responses for this thread, because this is too long. Oh well, the other sites complained about the same thing, so my feelings won't be hurt. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I really need to learn how to write shorthand.)

This is something I posted way back early this year after the Mavericks' loss to SA. I posted it on Dallasbasketball.com and many of the posters seemed to agree with what I had to say. I'm posting this again just to see what you guys think and because many of the same issues still remain. I also bring this up again in light of the Lewis chase. I think Lewis will create even more chaos rather than "rhythm" as shots become spread around even more. I'm just trying to counter the notion that trying to add superstar after superstar isn't necessary the best formula for a championship. Just an opinion. Tell me your thoughts. I know it's long, but if you don't know by now, I have a hard time expressing opinions in a couple sentences.

--------------------

Raef mentioned in the Dallas Morning News today that basketball is all about rhythm.

What is rhythm exactly? In my opinion, rhythm results from players knowing their roles, knowing what to expect from their teammates, knowing when to receive passes, knowing who the leaders are, and a continuous effort to develop consistency each and every game.

However, through nelson's constant puppetteering of the marionette that is your Dallas Mavericks, he has placed very broad, general roles and responsibility for everyone on the team. Basically, his design is for everyone to think that they are the MVP of the team and places such unconditional trust in all five starters that everyone is given the green light to shoot at any point in the game. In fact, I believe the actual vehicle that drives the Mavericks through most games is the exceptional talent and gifted ability of the players themselves, where all 5 starters can score 30 on any night. Still, to win a championship, a team needs rhythm, consistency.

I believe guys like Nowitzki and Finley come into the game not knowing exactly how many shots they are going to get. They go through games not knowing whether they should back off from shooting or take over the game. There's no defined go-to guy, so I'm sure guys like Nowitzki and Finley tell themselves, 'should i take these last minute shots or give it to that other guy who has the hot hand.'

To solve this, I think Nelson needs to let the players understand that Nowitzki is their go-to guy and allow Nowitzi to play as if he is the leader. Shooting around 18 shots in the first half and limited to about 5 shots in the second half is no mark of a go-to guy for a team. Ferry did not stop Nowitzki in that second half. Nelson did. He continuously called isolation plays for Finley and Van Exel. I understood Van Exel, but Finley was 1 for 12 at that point and still Nelson kept calling his number instead of Nowitzki’s. He was overcoaching, trying to look for mismatches. I cannot understand this. Also, as most fans should know by now, Finley is NOT a great one on one player. Just observe how many isolation plays for Finley end up with Finley draining down the shot clock to one or seconds leaving him with an impossible fade away over two defenders. Have you noticed how most of Finley’s last minute shots end up being fadeaways or 30 ft shots. It’s because he has trouble creating his own shot and the only way to do it is to shoot from far away or fade away. He’s not Jordan. He could be a great Pippen, but not Jordan. I’d rather take my chances with Dirk shooting a jump shot than a Finley fadeaway.

Regarding Lafrentz, how can this guy find a rhythm when the coach keeps telling him to shoot, but knows he's the fifth option at best on an offense with two all-stars and two former all-stars, and knows there's a better chance of a Nowitzki next to him making a shot then him. In Denver, it was easier for him to take shots, because he knew he was the first or second best on the team. The problem is – he’s probably right when he thinks that the Mavericks have a better chance of winning when Nowitzki takes the shot then him.

How can bench players like Najera, Griffin, and Buckner find rhythm when they come into most games not knowing exactly how many minutes they're going to get. Some nights they start and get 30 minutes, and some nights it's DNP basically.

Nelson should try to develop consistency instead of trying to overcoach and ruffling his whole team's chemistry to meet the specific needs of each game.

Despite all this, the Mavericks are a great team and will go far in the playoffs because Nash, Finley, Van Exel, Nowitzki, and Lafrentz are all great players. But a championship??? Until a consistency is developed, i wouldn't bank on the Mavericks winning a championship anytime soon.

Maybe it's too early to ask the Mavericks to gain some sort of consistency. We just traded for Van Exel and Lafrentz. That's a valid excuse for the lack of rhythm. However, it's my hypothesis that the lack of rhythm has more to due with Nelson's pulling one too many string on the Maverick doll than anything else.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote