Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Medical - Socialized or Private?

What are the various views as it relates to socialized medicine?

We have examples of Socialized medicine...in the U.S. via the VA or Military Medical...you also have the Public places that provide services to those without the financial means to choose where they want to be treated.

In Canada and Europe you have examples of Socializes medicine.

On the surface, it's an emotional issue...people want to come off like they care for those in need and believe everyone should have access to care.

Yet, as I have learned from various individuals over the years, appearances can be decieving.

Two examples...I will leave some details out to protect the individuals.

A senior citizen went in for treatment in a country with socialized medicine...tests revealed that they needed a heart transplant to have a chance at a continued healthy life...however, they were a bit older and thus over the age limit to qualify for a transplant. In turn they coordinated for a transplant in the USA, where they paid for the surgery with no insurance. They received the transplant and have had a full recovery and continue to live a good life as a retired individual.

Under the social program, they would most likely be dead.

In this next case...a woman detects what could be breast cancer...she contacts the hospital/doctor to schedule an exam...however she has to wait 4 months before she can get an appointment...once the appointment arrives, they believe she will need additional testing as they have also detected the lumps...but she has to wait another 2 1/2 months...

She told a friend that although in her country they have social medical care provided, she has to wait a rather extensive time frame to get anything accomplished and she commends her U.S. friends who when they want to see a doctor actually are able to schedule and get an appointment as well as obtain results rather quickly.

So again, this is an interesting topic, but one that has no one solution to cover 100% of the population.

Currently we have clinics and hospitals who provide services to those without the means...but we also have places that may provide a little better service because one has the means...I'm okay with this mix of solutions.

I've been treated by both sides and hey when I was broke, I was thankful just to get the treatment...when I've had the money, it was cool to get some of other added touches.

Either way, the responibility fell on me to figure out where I can get medical attention if I needed it.

Obviously we have some serious different views on how Medical care should be provided to the people...but can we find a middle ground that can de-politicize this topic?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy banter