Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-13-2003, 09:13 AM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default Decison day for Chris Thomas

Kid, You have some talent, but you are not ready to run an NBA team yet. Go back for your jr. year. IMO I don't think there is any doubt that he is a future NBA player though.

Decision deadline for Thomas
By Tom Noie

Indecision still dominates the thoughts of Chris Thomas, but his immediate plans may be a hint that he knows the ultimate answer.

Reached late Thursday morning in Bradenton, Fla., Thomas said that he will decide whether to return to Notre Dame for his junior year or remain in the NBA Draft no later than Monday. Thomas will take the weekend to sort through both options at his parents’ home in Indianapolis.

“It’s all still up in the air,” he said. “For me, either way, it will be a good decision.”

That Thomas wants to have his plans in place early next week could mean that he is leaning toward a return to Notre Dame, a team that he helped lead last season to its first Sweet 16 appearance in 16 years. A second team All-Big East pick, Thomas still has six days to officially file his plans with the NBA.

Irish head coach Mike Brey has said that if his starting point guard wants to return, a decision should be reached before the start of summer school. The first day of the summer session, where Thomas remains registered for two courses, starts Tuesday.

“He’s still got some things to think about,” Brey said. “We’ll know our squad by Sunday night or Monday morning.”

NBA Director of Scouting Marty Blake told the Tribune last week that he hoped Thomas would withdraw from the draft. This week, at least six various mock drafts — from ESPN.com to Insidehoops.com — do not list Thomas as a first-round pick.

Thomas originally said that he would leave school if guaranteed to be among the top 20 picks. He has since stretched that to being selected in the first round.

One draft site does not have Thomas being among the 58 players selected in the June 26 draft.

“If I don’t go in the draft this year, it wouldn’t be from anything I did,” Thomas said. “I worked as hard as I could and I did everything right. I gained a lot from my experiences and became a better player.

“If I do go, then that will be great. But if I don’t, then that will be great also.”

Thomas visited seven teams for individual workouts — Boston, Golden State, New Jersey, Minnesota, Phoenix, Portland and Seattle. Miami and Orlando evaluated Thomas during his stay at the International Management Group Academies in Bradenton.

“They’ve all noticed since the end of the season that I’ve become more mentally and physically stronger of a player,” said Thomas, who finished his tour Wednesday at New Jersey. “I’ve been working my (butt) off.”

For Thomas to return to Notre Dame and retain his eligibility, he must reimburse every team for various costs — airfare, hotel rooms, meals, etc., — incurred during each trip.

Thomas impressed Seattle and Orlando, both of whom have high draft choices, while Golden State and Phoenix offered that another year in college would be a wise move.

“A lot of people like him, but there hasn’t been that one team that has said, ‘OK, we love you, let’s go,’” Brey said.

Some NBA personnel questioned Thomas’ decision to skip last week’s pre-draft camp in Chicago. It was there where many, including Minnesota head coach and general manager Flip Saunders, had hoped to see how Thomas fared in fullcourt situations, something that does not happen during private workouts.

Players such as Troy Bell from Boston College, Jameer Nelson of Saint Joseph’s (Pa.) and Alabama’s Maurice Williams impressed with their open-court skills. Even Oklahoma’s Hollis Price, once considered free-agent material, may merit a second-round look.

Thomas did offer to come to Chicago and take a physical, a move typically reserved for the draft’s top 20 prospects, but Blake told him to stay away.

He refuses to have any second thoughts about not attending the camp.

“The feedback that I received (from Chicago), nobody played tremendous,” Thomas said. “I don’t think anybody helped their stock that would actually compete with me or take my spot.”

Schedule stuff

Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2003, 11:39 AM   #2
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Here's hoping that he goes back to South Bend, JK. Then comes back to the draft next year. He and Torin are just deadly together.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

He's just announced that he's OUT of the draft and going back to Notre Dame.

Irish eyes are smiling !!
Old 06-16-2003, 02:37 PM   #4
Chicago JK

yeah, good move to him. ND should be one of the better teams next year. They have to replace Carrol, but they should see further improvement in Francis.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:02 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Decison day for Chris Thomas

I have to give this kid some credit. I didn't think he would return to college. I think it is the right thing to do.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 03:13 PM   #6
Chicago JK

I also heard he has to repay all the trips he took. Chris didn't go to the Chicago camp, but flew to different cities to have workouts for different teams. He had to get invoices from every trip and pay it back before being eligible this year. He will be in the NBA soon if he stays injury free, so his future still looks very good.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:17 PM   #7
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Decison day for Chris Thomas

yeah, that sucks that he has to pay for all of those trips.