Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Will we make a deadline trade?
No 73 41.24%
Yes, for Kevin Martin 11 6.21%
Yes, for Iggy 22 12.43%
Yes, for Stephen Jackson 12 6.78%
Yes, for Crash 1 0.56%
Yes, for a backup 4 3 1.69%
Yes, for a backup PG 4 2.26%
Yes, for Lebron 20 11.30%
Yes, for more than one player above 4 2.26%
Yes, for other player(s) 27 15.25%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
The Mavs have clear holes on their roster but so does everyone else on the west so I don't think it is unreasonable to think we need to clear one up
Define hole? The weakest link on our roster is Brian Cardinal. You could do a helluva a lot worse because Brian is actually not that bad (and could fill in at sf/pf in a pinch). If people are still in the "Robin" hunt...well what do you need that for if the offense keeps clicking like it has? OK so I wish JJ was taller too, but he's been so money lately. Again...where are these holes? If you want to argue "upgrades" then that is an entirely different argument. There are no "holes" though as I think you're defining it.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'm all for cashing in the Butler chip, but I don't really get why so many think we need this upgrade at the SF spot. Peja and Marion are perfect compliments to each other with Marion finishing games. Both are playing very well lately, so where is this dire need for a sf? And I'd certainly make a case that Shawn Marion is indeed playing up to a Crash level lately. Like I said, I'm not against it, but I'm not seeing this sf hole like some people.
This is why we're not in desperation mode. I mean the cost of a possible 18 month rental today (DWill) is 2 1st round picks, a lottery pick in Derrick Favors and an established player in Devin Harris, that's a high cost, and possibly a costly gamble if DWill walks or is shipped out due to whining. Cost of players on desperate teams will drop come deadline time. WE're in a good position, we have a nice chip in Butler, Jones and picks...and cash. Do we cash in all the chips now, add Wallace, don't know what the new CBA brings and possibly lose Chandler, due to a hard cap? Will Stern draw a hard line on that, not allowing a team like Miami to add peripherals around the Big 3? I can't. But this is what brass is looking at. I'm sure they have a price tag their willing to pay for CERTAIN players.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

I'm not sure why the Mavs necessarily need to make a trade. I understand a trade brings excitement, but the way I see it, we've basically acquired Peja and Roddy for the stretch run. Peja and Marion compliment each other so well, and Roddy brings another dimension to this team that no other player on this roster can bring. Do we have holes? Obviously. Would it have been nice to bring back Harris or maybe acquire a Crash Wallace? Yes. But are they necessary? In my opinion, no. The Mavs honestly have all the pieces here to win in the playoffs. It's all about continuing to create that chemistry, remain consistent, and hope for the best with the injuries.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Peja is the weaksauce of the starting lineup....he would be a perfect complement off the bench next to Marion

Marion is our PF and hardly ever plays SF...with that being said our only true SF on the team is Peja...Stevenson is our backup SF and he's really a SG....in the 3 guard lineup, Kidd guards the other teams SF's....I would rather Crash start at SF and Peja playing backup SF instead of Stevenson, then maybe there wont be a need to the 3 guard lineup due to Peja stretching the floor

Last edited by Mav Addict; 02-23-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Landry to the Hornets for Marcus Thornton

just sayin

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Think about this way how exactly is a lineup of Kidd, Terry/Roddy, Peja/Roddy, Marion and TC going to defend?
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

it seems the argument is moot though cause charlotte is asking for too much

Last edited by mavs777; 02-23-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it seems the argument is mute though cause charlotte is asking for too much
"moot"

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, Portland pushing hard for Crash, but Wojnarowski thinks he'll stay in the East... (NJ?)

Old 02-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Wonder if MJ can get Batum in the package coming back.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Wonder if MJ can get Batum in the package coming back.
his stock is on the downside, Portland fans aren't happy with his play is what I have heard, also reading around he seems to make terrible decisions and has a bball IQ so we will see
Old 02-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Woj is almost always right, dude has some serious inside info

LOL@moot-mute close but no cigar!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

People are losing their minds right now. Settle down people.

The Mavs are opportunistic, not desperate.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
People are losing their minds right now. Settle down people.

The Mavs are opportunistic, not desperate.
I am hardly losing my mind, I just can't see how people wouldn't think Crash is a considerable and clear upgrade over Marion, I am not sure I would take on Diaws contract though if it comes to that
Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am hardly losing my mind, I just can't see how people wouldn't think Crash is a considerable and clear upgrade over Marion, I am not sure I would take on Diaws contract though if it comes to that
Insisting that Gerald Wallace is "clearly a better defender" than Marion is a sure-fire sign that you are indeed losing your mind.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #16
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Insisting that Gerald Wallace is "clearly a better defender" than Marion is a sure-fire sign that you are indeed losing your mind.
He is
Old 02-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

He has better stats, but isn't better defender than Marion.
deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

and 22 hours remain
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #19
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

marion can defender on SG and Crash on the SF...no problem guys
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #20
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Cleveland supposedly has a standing offer for Wallace, the LBJ trade exception.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #21
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Wallace really cheap to the Blazers:

PDATE 3:51 pm: It is a done deal, Gerald Wallace has been traded to the Portland Trail Blazers. And no, Nicolas Batum is not part of the package headed back to Charlotte. That makes this a win for Portland at first glance.

The deal will send Joel Pryzbilla, cash and other players back to Charlotte. The Bobcats had been working hard to save money and that seems to be what they get out of this deal. Not players that make them better.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #22
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

One Twitter report saying Crash to the Blazers is a done deal. Haven't seen anything else confirming this though.

http://twitter.com/dwightjaynes/stat...05304697409536
Old 02-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #23
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
One Twitter report saying Crash to the Blazers is a done deal. Haven't seen anything else confirming this though.

http://twitter.com/dwightjaynes/stat...05304697409536
good.then we will don't change nothing...
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #24
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

DP

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 02-23-2011 at 04:41 PM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #25
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

STOP.
PUNCHING.
ME.
IN.
THE.
FACE.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #26
Underdog

We like our boys in blue.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #27
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know, looks like it was never so easy (and cheap) to get quality player and we do nothing? Hmmm....
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #28
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Dont know, looks like it was never so easy (and cheap) to get quality player and we do nothing? Hmmm....
yeah sigh
Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #29
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Seems like Cuban sticks to the plan. No heavy contracts.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #30
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

How about AK 47?

Our options are getting thin.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #31
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
How about AK 47?

wouldn't mind
Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #32
Underdog

Quote:
How about AK 47?

Kirilenko or Prince are probably our best options (if we do anything at all...)

Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #33
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Kirilenko or Prince are probably our best options (if we do anything at all...)
From everything I have heard it doesn't even sound like Prince is available
Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #34
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
How about AK 47?

AK47 is cashing in on 17 million, we'd probably need to ship out Caron and Deshawn to match the salaries.

Ken Bergers hearing that Portland's sending out Pryzbilla, cash and a pick for Wallace, other's have said it's Andre Miller.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #35
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

Quote:
AK47 is cashing in on 17 million, we'd probably need to ship out Caron and Deshawn to match the salaries.

Ken Bergers hearing that Portland's sending out Pryzbilla, cash and a pick for Wallace, other's have said it's Andre Miller.
I'd have no problem with that.

To Dallas: AK 47

To Utah: Butler, Stevenson, Jones

Utah gets back a couple expirings and a young prospect. Dallas gets back their veteran forward who can D it up.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #36
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd have no problem with that.

To Dallas: AK 47

To Utah: Butler, Stevenson, Jones

Utah gets back a couple expirings and a young prospect. Dallas gets back their veteran forward who can D it up.
If we didn't do Butler/Dojo/pick for Harris, then there's no way that's happening. Plus it seems like overpaying.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #37
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

On the one hand, I thought (and still think) this team needs one more piece to really put them where they need to be.

On the other hand, I appreciate the FO's refusal to take on big contracts at this point. My concern with this approach, of course, is we really only have a few more years of contention anyway (and at least one of those may be taken away by a lockout).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #38
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Mayo?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/p...urn=nba-325193
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #39
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
Deshawn and a pick gets it done?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #40
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Deshawn and a pick gets it done?
I doubt it but if it does you got to do it, though Mayo doesn't fit great with all our SG he can play a bit of point and can be used as trade bait in the summer

Last edited by mavs777; 02-23-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Tags
flushbane, i hate dumars, return of the quack!, strike 17 for cadban?, thanks mods! more cadban!