Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold
Default The Monta Ellis Appreciation Thread

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 18 Min.Vor 18 Minuten

Monta Ellis agrees with Pacers to 4-year deal worth $44 million. (via @Chris_Broussard & @ESPNSteinLine)

Well we have to admit that he was exciting to watch sometimes and won us a lot of games on his own.

But at the same time he lost a lot of games for us and was way too much a distraction at the end.

Being such a liability on Defense wasnt helping getting us over the hump.

Still one of the better players to wear the Mavs Jersey so thanks Monta.

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

So I guess no sign and trade.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #3
Twenty4sevenn

Twenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
So I guess no sign and trade.
Yes. It's still possible. Teams won't be finalizing paperwork just yet. A lot of SnT opportunities once teams start figuring out their roster. The deal is SnT friendly for us.
Twenty4sevenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

S&T definitely still possible. Of course, if that trade involves Roy Hibbert...

Still, Monta gave his all on the court every night...at least on the offensive end. Sucks that it didn't work out. Good luck in Indiana!

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

I'm surprised he took a discount deal. He's getting paid like a 6th man under next year's cap. Is he going to come off bench also? He could've easily pumped the price up a bit by mingling with others. Kings seem to be trying to pay max dollar for any free agent out there while dumping draft picks and salaries that they don't necessarily need to dump...

IMO it would've made more sense for him to opt in and he probably would've gotten at least same deal next year (4/44) even with being 1 year older.

I loved Monta well before he got to Dallas. Since his GSW days but honestly won't miss him.

Last edited by Thebo; 07-02-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Pacers almost have to move Hibbert. If they don't Monta won't sleep knowing Hibbert is paid more than him.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Monta was entertaining as hell to watch -- easily the best acquisition since we won a ring... Indy should be a good fit for him, next to George Hill.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad he's gone... Never liked him
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #9
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoyed his time in Dallas.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Sort of disappointed he's gone. HE was the least of this teams worries and a 4 year 44 million dollar deal seems like pennies compared to what most guys got. You can't tell me him and Aminu are the same caliber of players.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
dongtouch

dongtouch is a jewel in the roughdongtouch is a jewel in the roughdongtouch is a jewel in the roughdongtouch is a jewel in the rough

He was a warrior on the court and always played hurt and played his heart out. He was like a lesser version of Iverson/Wade and I hated to see him go. He also played well during the playoffs in both years and if it wasn't for him, this wouldn't have been a playoff team. At the price he was payed, it could've been a lot worse had it been someone like OJ Mayo instead.
I hope he does well with the Pacers especially now that he's in the East.
dongtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:24 PM   #12
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

He made the last two seasons fun. They probably wouldn't have been much fun at all without him. Obviously it was time to let him go, but his time here was a net positive.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:45 PM   #13
Cerberus

Cerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to behold

Relentless driver to the basket that I enjoyed watching. Won many games for us. Thanks for everything Monta!
Old 07-03-2015, 01:50 AM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I really wanted to like Monta, but I could never really get into him... He was entertaining to watch, but he just never seemed like a guy who could elevate a team for a full 7 in the playoffs.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:21 AM   #15
jay3189
Banned

jay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nice

I'm mad that he is gone. I will just leave it as that. Dallas always going through these summer transitions. A foundation has to be in place. Dirk is not playing forever.
jay3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #16
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3189 View Post
I'm mad that he is gone. I will just leave it as that. Dallas always going through these summer transitions. A foundation has to be in place. Dirk is not playing forever.
Pretty sure Matthews/Parsons/Jordan is the foundation the FO is looking at. You'll have to look beyond Dirk now...and Dirk would want it that way. He isn't going to play forever. And as of right now, Dirk is still our starting pf.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #17
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
I agree with you. I would have liked to have seen him as a scoring 1.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #18
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To me his "pride" always came off as selfish and about him. He wanted to be THE guy but he also didn't want anyone else on the team taking away that spotlight. Same thing when it came to playing through injuries that he really should have sat out for. It was hurting the team and it came off as selfish. Refusing to talk to dallas media over two seasons, his attitude on the court, especially during the 2 OT, and the overall poutiness from Parsons contract and in the locker room. It's too much to cover his inefficient play on the court. Not worth it. But I'll always enjoy watching him just play basketball on the court.

After season 1, I felt the same as you. But he reverted back to the mean in year 2 and I was fine letting him go. I've followed him since GS and as outside observer I was naive in thinking it'd be different if he was in dallas. At the end, it just wasn't.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #19
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Aside from the bad taste in my mouth from the second half of this season, Monta gave us some great times. I am glad for him that he made the wise decision to avoid the Sacramento catastrophe and chose a team that is well suited to help compensate for some of his weaknesses while allowing him to do what he does best.

Also, I keep seeing on Social Media ( prob where I went wrong) that he is a sub average passer. I think this is far from the truth. I always felt like he could be a "Russell Westbrook" type if he was guided in that direction (albeit zero defense but heh).
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #20
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

I very much agree that Indiana is a great place for him to go.
I wish him success.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #21
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

Probably my favourite Mav while he was here. Sad to see him go but I can't say I'm upset about his replacement.
Fragism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #22
ffballer

ffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to behold

best player to be a mav since dirk, big ass balls played his heart out, best of luck in indy monta!