Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-23-2002, 03:55 PM   #1
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< It'll be business as usual with Nelson, Cuban

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

It was a weird week in Dallas, even before Tuna Mania overran the place. It was a weird one for the basketball guys, too.

Steve Nash, after 49 straight makes, missed a free throw Friday night. Then the Mavericks lost a home game, after a 12-0 start. Stranger still, both rarities were witnessed not long after it was learned that Don Nelson asked Mark Cuban for something, and Cuban said no.

Twice.

Once in the summer and again in September, Nelson asked Cuban to extend the coaching portion of his contract, which expires at season's end. Pressed on the subject in recent days by various media members, in lieu of losses to dissect, Nelson admitted that Cuban's preference to wait until next offseason to chart the future made him &quot;uncomfortable.&quot; That led to even more stories and questions, prompting Cuban to schedule his own private sitdown with Nelson to clarify his position.

Of course, as a result of all that, the 22-4 Mavericks find themselves answering a bigger question today, in the shadow of the Bill Parcells-Jerry Jones-Dave Campo triangle: Does the team with the NBA's best record suddenly have its own unforeseen coaching controversy? Or, at the very least, a distraction to deal with?

&quot;I am not at odds with Nellie,&quot; Cuban insists. &quot;My feelings about Nellie or towards Nellie have not changed. I'm as happy as I could be with our start, and see no reason why things would change.

&quot;Nothing has changed. Nothing bad is going on. I just won't discuss contracts with management in any of my businesses when they have a job to do. In most of my businesses, I won't even use contracts. If you are doing a good job, you keep it. That's the way I work.&quot;

It's no puzzler, really, to understand the way both parties feel.

After surviving two full seasons and two half-seasons without any success in Dallas, and overcoming prostate cancer to help guide the Mavericks into the NBA's upper echelon, Nelson is yearning to keep coaching -- for three more seasons, he says now. That's the role in which he can have the greatest impact on the franchise, since Cuban and son Donnie Nelson (the club's president of basketball operations) already handle a huge chunk of the personnel work. Seeing how refreshed he looks at 62, compared to where Big Nellie was at 59, it's no surprise he wants to secure his future today. It's also a fact that coaches everywhere get skittish about lame-duck scenarios; Boston's Jim O'Brien (with only a year left on his contract after this season) and New Orleans' Paul Silas (in his final year) are also eagerly awaiting (and highly deserving of) new deals.

Cuban, however, doesn't want to lock into anything now, having awarded Nelson an 11-year, $22 million all-encompassing extension in May 2000. Nelson got that contract after the Mavericks -- at 9-23 when Cuban agreed to purchase the team from Ross Perot Jr. -- finished the 1999-2000 campaign on a 31-19 tear. Cuban has said on numerous occasions since that he has little interest in job titles and that he gave Nelson the long-term deal to lessen the likelihood of such controversies. Going forward, having committed to that contract, Cuban prefers to evaluate the entire organization year by year.

Now for what they aren't saying publicly.

From Cuban's end, it's clear that he wants to see how the Mavericks fare in the playoffs before reworking anything, given that Dallas hasn't been competitive in the second round the past two springs despite ringing up 110 regular-season wins in that span.

For Nelson, that stance has to sting, with the Mavericks off to their best-ever start and his star players lavish in their praise of his tutelage. Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley, especially, credit Nelson's philosophy and faith in them during tougher times as key factors in both players' rise to All-Star status.

How will it all play out? Expect Nelson, stung or not, to coach the Mavericks for at least two more seasons, so long as the team continues on its upward arc. A first-round playoff exit is the variable that could change things, but it's a stretch to envision Nelson not coaching the Mavericks next season unless some of the key personnel changed as well in a far-reaching overhaul. Cuban knows that the harmony in the Mavericks' locker room, an unquestionably key factor in Dallas' success, is a byproduct of his shared efforts with Nelson. The contract, meanwhile, precludes Nellie from leaving town without compensation to Cuban, even if some team out there wanted to offer him a concrete three-year coaching deal.

The most likely scenario, then, continues to be Nelson chasing the championship ring he has longed for as a coach, while grooming an in-house prospect to take over down the road. The leading in-house prospect is Avery Johnson, with Donnie Nelson increasingly entrenched in his presidential duties. And Avery, remember, intends to play at least one more season.

It takes a strong, confident coach to share the marquee with a high-profile owner, as Parcells might soon find out with the Cowboys. Nellie and Cuban have been a more compatible tag team than anyone envisioned when they were thrown together 36 months ago, which is why the relationship is bound to remain an owner-coach bond despite any current tension.

&quot;It's not the way I would do it,&quot; Nelson said of waiting until the summer to cement the club's plans. &quot;But I think it's best for me to just leave it alone and keep plugging away and try to win a championship.&quot;

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.
>>

You can find it
here.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2002, 04:02 PM   #2
realclipsfan
Banned

realclipsfan is on a distinguished road

why would he say no to nellie like that? nellies a very good coach
realclipsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:45 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

The most irritating thing about this to me is Fish's &quot;All is well&quot; routine at dallasbasketball.com.

Clearly Nellie wants to keep coaching; clearly, Cuban is noncommital. You can't dispute either statement. Now, is either a bad thing? Maybe; maybe not. I have advocated Donnie as head coach for some time. But, if the players really want Nellie to stay, I don't know how you go against their wishes when the team does so well. I don't think anybody thinks this team underacheives.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 05:24 PM   #4
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

I think Cubans approach is pretty good.
Wait what happens in the playoffs.
And didn´t they &quot;promise&quot; Donnie the job for next year?
What about that?
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 05:53 PM   #5
realclipsfan
Banned

realclipsfan is on a distinguished road

I agree with Dooby, if the players want nellie back, Cuban should bring him back. What kind of message will this send to Nash, when he becomes a free agent? Everyone always talk about how players have to grow with each other, why isn't Nellie given the same oppurtunity? Sure, he has been here a while, but he has never had a team like this, and how can you not atleast consider bringing a guy back that's 22-4 to start the season? I think Cuban should sit down with Nellie and and workout a new deal, I would love for Nellie to come back. I respect him as a coach, and I think he has done a great jobe here. It will be sad to see this team win a title, without Nellie coaching them to it. And I am sure that Little Nellie would have no problem with his dad being allowed to continue coaching, if that's what his dad wants. I just think it sends a message to players if they came up with an agreement for Nellie to continue coaching, because everyone on this team realizes that Nellie has a HUGE part to do with this teams sucess right now. IMO, it's 1 of those things where, don't only reward us but also reward the guy we respect and love as a coach, he brought us here to win a title, let us stay together and win 1.
realclipsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 06:21 PM   #6
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

ÜberDirk is on a distinguished road

Now hold a second. Im pretty sure our guy's like Nellie, but they aren't going to come out and say they don't, their too nice. I LOVE Cuban's approach and to be blunt, Nellie's mind set is irking me. We all know how badly I want Jr. to be head coach. I candidly don't see Nellie getting us out of the second round. Mark is right. If Nellie proves people wrong, and gets us a ring, or to the finals, we'll see about bringing him back. But if not..... I'd say he's had the talent and time and we ought to hand the reigns over to Jr. Don't back off your stance Mark, your right.

As for Nellie, what's his deal? I thought he alway's said he wanted to stop coaching and retire, he's said this many times now, and all of a sudden he wants to stay head coach? I thought he promised his son the job after this year 2 years ago. Honestly, I see Nellie hurting this team if we don't get out of the 2nd round this year and he tries to stay coach.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:44 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Business is business.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:54 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< Now hold a second. Im pretty sure our guy's like Nellie, but they aren't going to come out and say they don't, their too nice. I LOVE Cuban's approach and to be blunt, Nellie's mind set is irking me. We all know how badly I want Jr. to be head coach. I candidly don't see Nellie getting us out of the second round. Mark is right. If Nellie proves people wrong, and gets us a ring, or to the finals, we'll see about bringing him back. But if not..... I'd say he's had the talent and time and we ought to hand the reigns over to Jr. Don't back off your stance Mark, your right.

As for Nellie, what's his deal? I thought he alway's said he wanted to stop coaching and retire, he's said this many times now, and all of a sudden he wants to stay head coach? I thought he promised his son the job after this year 2 years ago. Honestly, I see Nellie hurting this team if we don't get out of the 2nd round this year and he tries to stay coach.
>>

Isn't Nellie close to having the most wins in NBA history? I saw a stat and I am not sure if it was wins but he was like 3rd in soem catergorie and I think it very well could be wins. It from what I saw it is going to take him 2 seasons to take that title so maybe this has some effect to what Nellie's decision is.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 08:13 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Nellie will never be #1 because that particular coach (Lenny Wilkins) is still coaching.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:12 AM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that cubes treats nellie pretty much like he does his players, if you aren't part of the puzzle getting jewelry then you are part of the problem. He just won't accept anything less than total committment.

So if the team ends up with the best record in the league and isn't DAMN competitive in the second round then I think cubes does rethink things. Nellie has long term security with the 11 year contract, so that isn't an issue. But he also needs to produce, cubes is going to take a bath with the luxury tax when it comes in and nellie has to produce, just like all of the players will have to produce.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:32 AM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Let me just throw this theory out here and see what everyone thinks. Maybe this story of Mark not offering Nellie an extenstion and not willing to talk about it is a designed strategy. Why would Mark do this? Let me list a few possible reasons.

1) It generates news and focuses attention on the Mavs and what they have done so far. Gets people and media asking &quot;Why the hell won't you resign Nellie after all he has done?&quot; Kind of gets your attention. Mark is a master at generating publicity. See Dairy Queen statement from last year. Even at $ 1 million, you couldn't buy the free advertising he got for his product. This one is much cheaper. Also keeps more attention off of the train wreck known as the Lakers. Notice that no matter how well the Mavs do that everyone turns attention to Lakers when the decide to hold one of their impromptu Jerry Springer show impressions.

2) It unites the team. Several players, including all of the big 3 have spoken out for getting Nellie back. Never hurts the team when players increase their support of coach . Might even carry over into their play.

3) It gives the players who support Nellie an incentive to play hard to &quot;save&quot; his job. Mark even has the option to &quot;relent&quot; at some point in the season and announce that he wants Nellie back as coach, thus giving the players a boost in feeling that they have accomplished something. Never hurts to have a personal relationship as an extra incentive to strive hard.

4) Also gives Mark the opportunity to show that he is a players coach by &quot;giving in&quot; to player demands and bringing Nellie back next year. This will help in attracting free agents in the future.

That's all that I can think of right now. Don't know if this is the case, but I wouldn't put it past Cubes to do it. I wouldn't even put it past Nellie being in on the whole thing. Just a different perspective.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:37 AM   #12
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

5) Perhaps Cuban calculates that it will generate sympathy for Nellie and the players from league execs and officals by pitting him (Cubes) against the team?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:00 AM   #13
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

I'll take what's behind doors 2 &amp; 3. Whatever puts up W's.

But I don't think that it helps with FA's...shows a bit of instability.

Kiki's 5 is interesting...sounds like a long shot, but ya never know. It probably would be beneficial to have some separation between Mark and the team in the eyes of the officials/execs...

It's hard to believe that what we're hearing is totally true...there's so much behind the scenes stuff that fans never hear about until way after the fact, if at all. Given the job Nellie's done, it doesn't make sense. Given the job that Nellie's still got to do, it makes a little sense. Maybe somewhere, behind the scenes, it makes a lot of sense...but I don't think that we're going to know about it...again, if at all.

but you do have to ask yourself...WHY SO PUBLIC ?
Old 12-24-2002, 01:27 AM   #14
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

I agree with you that there is definetely something going on behind the scenes. ( extremely pissed off at myself and my usually good paranoid skitzo noggin for not being able to see something was up until your post). Cuban is a great owner, but at the same time is in constant need of the media attention. I believe that he trusts Nelly more than himself, perhaps this is more predraft day talk. If you are correct in your assumptions then this is truely a great situation for the MAVS.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:00 AM   #15
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< 5) Perhaps Cuban calculates that it will generate sympathy for Nellie and the players from league execs and officals by pitting him (Cubes) against the team? >>

Good one. Maybe this explains why Cubes isn't racking up any Dairy Queen size fines this year. He's decided to take a different approach. With some of the officiating that I've seen so far we definitely could use some sympathy.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:04 PM   #16
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Don Nelson has never won a championship. Just thought i would through that out there. i love what Don has done for the franchise but the fact is if we dont give his son Donnie a coaching job pretty damn fastlike, we are going to lose our &quot;future&quot; head coach who is not only one of the best young coaches in the game, but THE BEST(i say with no reservation or hesitation) evaluator of talent in the NBA. Thank Donnie for our best 2 players Nash and Dirk. Even when the rest of the NBA was laughing at our orginization for &quot;wasting&quot; a top ten pick and &quot;severely overpaying&quot; a now cheap ass contract for steve nash. Donnie was the creator of the Bradley, Booth tandem that made both players imeasurabley better, and the list goes on. At some point we look towards the future and exalt Don Nelson and put him in a diminished role in the near furure. Having that said i believe Findawg and company will really lay it out on the line come playoff time if it could be the last time they are coached by the Don. In general, Cuban said nothing untrue, or remarkable, HE WAS SIMPLY QUOTED in pointing out what was written in Nellie's contract right there in black and white. i think a lot of this hype is simply low level writters and the media trying to stir things up and create a &quot;scoop&quot; when nothing new at all has really been said, and no changes to the already agreed upon contract, of years past ,have been made. Experience has taught me to trust Cuban as a sports owner and buisness man, and we at least owe it to him to believe he knows exactly what the hell he is doing and for what reasons. he wants to win a championship, the players want to win a championship, the coaches want to win a championship, the fans want to win a championship, and the entire orginization wants to win a championship. its all good.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]