Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-26-2002, 11:29 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

For purposes of this discussion Bradley is a starter - he is playing much better than Raef at this point in the season.

But our bench is broken. Other than NVE everyone else is hurt or playing very poorly. This is probably the #1 reason why we've been struggling offensively.

Bell - invisible most games
Griffin - hurt, he's always hurt
Williams - hurt
Johnson - third point guard
Najera - hurt
LaFrentz - hurt or playing poorly, take your choice
Harrington - bench fodder
Jones - totally ineffective
Strickland - useless and gone
Eschmeyer - hurt

We need some bodies.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot the forgetable Tariq Abdul-Wahad.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:44 PM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Good post, MFFL.

Our bench was a very important factor to achieve the streak...now it's broken as you said.

Hope the starters can still hold it, even playing that bad; seeing your list, the 24-4 seems pretty awesome.

We need the injured bench's players be healed soon.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:47 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Though I think our bench needs to help us out some which include Nick, Griff, Bell, and Raef, I think this is Najera's doing. I think our bench feeds off him and not only our bench but starters. I think we are finally seeing why Najera is so important to our team. I must admit last season I didn't see this being he was here most of the time but now that he is gone I see why he is missed. No energy at all is provided to the Mavs.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 12:35 AM   #5
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I think Walt ought to come back around before too long, and getting Eddie back will obviously help out tons... but Raef HAS to quit playing like a 12 year old girl.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 12:45 AM   #6
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

IMO, all Raef needs is a low post game. It would complete the team, Dallas doesn't need his D, or his 3's. the coaches need to coach him into a post presence. It is exactly what the Mavs need to compete in the half court Offense. It is the only thing they are missing. Dirk tries a little, but he is not good enough in the post, and too valuable to pull away from the perimeter. If Raef could develop just 2 or 3 moves, enough to gain the defense's respect, the Mavs would be untouchable.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:43 AM   #7
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

ÜberDirk is on a distinguished road

Nope. We DO need Raef's D. We DO need raef to pull big man like shaq out on the perimeter. Raef has a weak game. And actually, dirk has a good post game that we don't utilize enough.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:17 AM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< For purposes of this discussion Bradley is a starter - he is playing much better than Raef at this point in the season.

But our bench is broken. Other than NVE everyone else is hurt or playing very poorly. This is probably the #1 reason why we've been struggling offensively.
>>

You're absolutely right. It's one of the main reasons that the Mavs are having to fight now to win every game when they were blowing people out earlier in the season.

<< Bell - invisible most games >>

He's made limited contributions to the team at times, but he definitely has not replaced Buckner, as some claimed that he would.

<< Griffin - hurt, he's always hurt >>

This is really frustrating and inexplicable to me. Is the guy hurt? If so, put him on the injured list and allow him time to completely heal. If he's not hurt, why isn't Nelson playing him more? Griffin has the potential to be a very valuable contributor -- if he can just stay on the floor.

<< Williams - hurt >>

This is really too bad, too. Walt has been the best player off the bench on a number of occasions this season, and then he injures his elbow. My question with him is: How badly is he hurt? If he's injured badly enough to where he's being rendered ineffective, why not sit him until the elbow has healed?

<< Johnson - third point guard >>

There's only so much AJ can do. He has been valuable to the team spotting for Nash and NVE, but his primary value now is as an extra coach in the locker room.

<< Najera - hurt >>

Amazing how much they miss this guy. It's not all about stats, either. He does seem to bring energy to the second unit, and he adds toughness, rebounding and defense to the mix that no one else on the bench really can.

<< LaFrentz - hurt or playing poorly, take your choice >>

This is perplexing. Did they bring him back too early? Or is he the kind of fragile psyche that just takes a long time to come back from injury? He's played terribly since returning, which makes me hope he's still physically injured. I'd rather sit him out again than learn that he's lost his confidence.

<< Harrington - bench fodder >>

Can't ask the 15th man to do anything.

<< Jones - totally ineffective >>

Was this ever an overrated signing. Popeye has a big bag...

<< Strickland - useless and gone >>

Perhaps they should have kept him and dumped Popeye???

<< Eschmeyer - hurt >>

Won't contribute this year, given that he's out until at least the All-Star break, and he wasn't exactly a regular minutes guy anyway.

<< We need some bodies. >>

So how do we get them? The Mavs can only carry so many guys on the injured list, and Najera and Eschmeyer are already there. But seriously, wouldn't Jimmy Jackson have been a nice pickup? The Mavs need to come up with a solution for the bench crisis, and they need to do it soon, because if not we'll be faced with the same thing as last season -- gaudy regular season record and a bunch of exhausted stars in the playoffs. Oh yeah, and out in the second round...

Old 12-27-2002, 09:46 AM   #9
realclipsfan
Banned

realclipsfan is on a distinguished road

raef is the problem, he has to step up.
realclipsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 10:04 AM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

KG! Where ya been? How is the little KG? Santa was good to him, I am sure.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 11:04 AM   #11
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Mavs can't put Walt and Griffin in the injured list right now; they are giving the necessary resting minutes to the axis (but, Griffin starting? it's crazy, with his injury).

It's needed a new player for the bench, or two. They have to waive Popeye.

Old 12-27-2002, 11:40 AM   #12
MFFL
Guru

Waive Harrington and get SOMEBODY who can help out.

What was the name of the old guy we had last year who gave us such a boost? Get him a uniform.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:53 AM   #13
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Newman. We should be able to do better. But the time for that was the off-season. Now we pretty much have to play the cards we are dealt.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 11:55 AM   #14
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

How about a trade for Etan or Donnell [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2002, 12:06 PM   #15
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

<< LaFrentz -
is he the kind of fragile psyche that just takes a long time to come back from injury?
>>

BINGO.
remember how long it took him to 'get into the swing of things' and to 'fit in with the new system' when he came aboard last year? He kept saying things like 'I'm not the smartest ball player, it'll take me a while to get into the new system.'

The guy needs a serious confidence infusion. Can't stay on the floor for fouls, coach getting down on him, confidence problems: his 02-03 season is starting to look suspiciously like Bradley's 01-02.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 12:10 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

As far as Free Agents available, does anyone know who are the top ones who still haven't signed. That's the only possibility that I see for help in the short term. I don't think any team will give us a player of any value for one of our hurt or ineffective players and we certainly can't afford to give up anyone that is effective because even if we got equal value (which would be difficult to do) we would still have to work the new player into the system which can be problematic (see comments reguarding Raef).

I really think that we need to get healthy and quick. But we are better positioned than any other team in the league to go through a shorthanded spell due to injury. At 24-4 we have a cushion. Admittedly we don't want to use the cushion if we don't have to, but nonetheless its great to have.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:44 PM   #17
realclipsfan
Banned

realclipsfan is on a distinguished road

You can forget about D.Harv, KIKI has always been high on the guy. And when the Mavs played them, you can certainly tell he's put in alot of work with much moe in his future. I'd love to get the guy back, but I doubt KIKI will part with him. Etan on the other hand, I would love to see him back and I am sure that the Wizards would trade him but with the injury to Jefferies/White can thy afford to? Who knows, maybe the Mavs should give them a call or something.

I agree with MFFL on cutting Harrington and bringing in someone. I don't know who exactly to bring in, but I think Newman would be a good fit. Especially since he can play D, and shoot the ball. Griff is to injury prone and I just hate it that the Mavs might face the Lakers in the playoffs and he is hurt. Newman plays good D, and the Mavs could use him in the playoffs. He is a vet who knows how to play the game. Just don't think we can depend on Griff.
realclipsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 12:56 PM   #18
COOLJAZZ

COOLJAZZ is on a distinguished road

My take is we're missing a good offseason trainer. Our guys seem to come out like gang-busters and loose steam as the season wears on. Or perhaps the players need to find a offseason plan to strenghten themselves.

Look at Bradley. He's still around in the 4th Qtr.
Look at Finley. He's doesnt seem to fatigue as quickly.
Look at Najara. He's always got a fire burning.

These guys Evan, Popeye and Raef appear to have conditioning issues.
These guys Griff, Walt &amp; TAW are getting older.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:03 PM   #19
COOLJAZZ

COOLJAZZ is on a distinguished road

<<
The guy needs a serious confidence infusion. Can't stay on the floor for fouls, coach getting down on him, confidence problems: his 02-03 season is starting to look suspiciously like Bradley's 01-02.
>>

During last nite's game, I thought the same thing. Then I said to myself that cannot happen if we hope to see the Western Conf. Finals this year.
Raef must produce. Remember everyone saying if we get anything from Bradley it would be GRAVY? It seems that Bradley's &quot;GRAVY&quot; is now our &quot;MAIN COURSE&quot;. When Raef plays aggressive our team is dominant!
Old 12-27-2002, 01:03 PM   #20
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just the long hard NBA season. When you realise that these guys play an NBA game every other night (15 games per month) then you can see why they get hurt. I don't see any conditioning issues at all.

Walt - Age, Elbow. He looks like he's about 40 already.
Grif - Bad back, bad luck (shoulder seperation).

Everyone else has been an injury. Assuming Najera/Esch come back stronger than before we will be fine. Dirk's ankle hopefully is getting much better, he's the one that we can't afford to be without.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 01:05 PM   #21
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

CoolJazz: I like your point about Raef. A lot of people have been ragging on him, but not very many have offered anything specific in the way for him to improve. I think an strong committment this offseason to conditioning for Raef is essential. You also didn't mention Dirk, but he did a good bit of offseason conditioning and dropped some weight. I think it has showed in his play this year.

I especially think that a great trainer is needed to customize programs for players to prevent injuries. Physical fitness is probably the best key to preventing injury. Look to Karl Malone as a great example. Jordan in his heyday when he was very fit was also a prime example.

Popeye definitely needs to lose some weight. I'm convinced that is a big part of his problem. The Mavs need to get him to drop 10 to 15 as quickly as its still healthy for him to make a meaningful contribution this season.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:06 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<<

<<
>>

During last nite's game, I thought the same thing. Then I said to myself that cannot happen if we hope to see the Western Conf. Finals this year.
Raef must produce. Remember everyone saying if we get anything from Bradley it would be GRAVY? It seems that Bradley's &quot;GRAVY&quot; is now our &quot;MAIN COURSE&quot;. When Raef plays aggressive our team is dominant!
>>

I don't know enough about raef to know what pushes his buttons. I don't believe he's a lazy player like bradley was last year, so I hope that nellie isn't just brow-beating him to death. At least nellie isn't planting him on the bench. I like the idea of letting him foul out of the games. If he wants more playing time then stay in there.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote