Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Dan1

Dan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to all
Default Tim Donaghy on the 2005 Dallas Houston Series

So... i was reading this article about the Lakers-Celtics series and suddenly the name of our mavs showed up. It might be a useless thread but do you guys recall this game? I don't think i've watched it.

Quote:
The big thing that stands out about the series is how dramatically the officiating changed after the first two games. In Games 1 and 2, the referees handed out fouls like candy — 54 were called in the opener, 58 in the next game. Over the remainder of the series, refs called an average of 44 fouls. What happened? Well, I can say from experience that it had nothing to do with the play on the floor and a lot more to do with what happened in a hotel room the morning of every game.

Here's how it works: In the playoffs, three refs and an alternate meet in a hotel room with a group supervisor before a game. The league office e-mails the supervisor a list of things it wants the officials to concentrate on, and the supervisor relays the message to the refs in their meeting. When I was in the league, the memos — hot off the desks of the likes of Stu Jackson, Ed T. Rush, or Ronnie Nunn — would usually detail what kinds of fouls needed to be better addressed. The message would be something like, Team X is getting away with an enormous amount of handchecking, or Shawn Bradley is hanging out under the basket, not really defending anybody. He's committing a defensive three-second violation. The goal was to set the tone for that night's game and, even more broadly, for the series. An extreme example: the 2005 Dallas-Houston matchup. I was the alternate for Game 3 and sat in on the meeting with the group supervisor. We were told explicitly to start calling moving screens and traveling violations on Yao Ming. (Jeff Van Gundy would later complain publicly that referees were targeting Yao; he got fined for it.) Houston was up 2-0 at that point. Dallas wound up winning in seven games.
http://deadspin.com/5567321/tim-dona...ences-a-series

Last edited by Dan1; 06-21-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Dan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

So basically they were not paying attention to Yao Ming's illegal screens until game 3.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

That was 5 years ago, who cares.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with mavsfan1000...

There, I said it. Now if you'll excuse me I feel that my soul has become unclean and I must attend to some corporeal mortification.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

They called 54 and 58 calls in the first two games, then an average of 44 in the rest of the series? That doesn't mean anything to me. First off, that's about 5 less calls for each team, not an extreme amount. Second off, it just means the team's adjusted. Adjustments happen all the time...I don't know what all the calls were, but let's say there was a bunch of blocking fouls called in the first 2 games. The two teams would realize they need to back off the physical D they were playing, because it was causing the refs to whistle them for it. Third, it easily can be the officials, too. Each official has different viewpoints on what is and what isn't a foul.

Last edited by tcat075; 06-21-2010 at 08:57 AM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

You say you are reading the Laker Celtics series on Deadspin? So you've been reading Tim's stuff through Game 1-7? They are good reads and you get to see how refs do or don't do with Tim's breakdown of all the calls and non calls
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how when the conspiracy talks caters to the Mavs rather than against them people say things like "So basically they were not paying attention to Yao Ming's illegal screens until game 3." AND "That was 5 years ago, who cares."

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Yao wasn't called for any moving screens in Game 3.

It's pretty obvious what actually happened, and how Donaghy is always trying to make something more of it than it is. Cuban, like he always does, sent in a bunch of clips after Game 2. The NBA realized he was right for once (so who has been screwed over again?), so instead of just ignoring him like Rockets fans would have wanted, they addressed the issue to the referees. Of course, Donaghy has to use suggestive terminology like "targeting", though he smartly never says anything ridiculous like the refs were intentionally throwing games in Dallas' favor. He's very clever when he claims the officials were mandated "to enforce rules strictly against one player", as if there's something wrong with enforcing the rules!

Then Donaghy claims that an NBA official warned Van Gundy prior to Game 3 about said "targeting". Somehow he makes this part sound fishy, but what would be the more prudent thing to do? Keep it a secret and let Yao rack up the illegal screen calls? That would sound far more conspiratorial than giving the Rockets the opportunity to adjust. And apparently they did, since Yao didn't pick up any illegal screen calls in Game 3.

There really is nothing to see here.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Dan1

Dan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to all

so... i did a quick search and apparently this information is kinda old, didnt know that
sry guys, feel free to delete this thread
Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
That was 5 years ago, who cares.
LOL irony
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
LOL irony
I would rather much care about iffy calls in a 4th round than in a 1st round.

The Finals is the only series gets my attention to bullshit calls and such, and was our chance at a ring.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
I would rather much care about
I'm sure that sounded clearer in your head.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #13
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all

As a Rocket fan, I can honestly say that Houston losing that series was not because of the refs. When you have a 2-0 series and in Game 3 at home you give up a 20-0 run to lose the lead in the 4th quarter - that's all on you.

All in all, it had more to do with the fact that after Yao and Tmac, the Rockets had nobody else. Both of them had to have monster games or else Houston was screwed. This why you see that in 2009 Houston finally won a playoff series (even though T-Mac wasn't there). This time they also had Brooks, Artest, Scola, Wafer, and Landry to help shoulder the load.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Who cares, even if the refs helped us, we paid for it one year later.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
Rick41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
I'm sure that sounded clearer in your head.
Actually yes, i've been off lately.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #16
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

What I remember about this series is not the Refs. Its the comeback. It's Avery's 1st time coaching a playoff game and he loses the 1st 2 games at home. How many teams have come back to win a series after losing the 1st 2 at home? I was at 1 of the wins and 1 of the losses. Beating those guys felt so great, Crushing Tmaq after watching him struff o out court after game 2 was just great fun.

I have no individual memory of the refs. As it should be. We all know what happens when the refs become the center of attention
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #17
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
How many teams have come back to win a series after losing the 1st 2 at home?
i would actually like to know this statistic as well.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #18
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Three.

Up 2-0 .. sport .. round ... site .... Game 3 rec. .... series rec.
Line #30: NBA ..... all ........ V ..... 14-11 (.560) ... 22-3 (.880)

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 06-23-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
call a whaaambulance