Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #121
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
And oddly enough, I think you are looking at precisely the wrong things. I mean, the penetration is nice--and sometimes it certainly stands out--but you have to look way deeper than that.
I was only looking for things a prototypical point guard does. He zone D stuff and drawing fouls stuff is good...but not to your point about him as a point guard.

I can appreciate your comment about him reposting Dirk, but I also see Terry do that as well (The entire team feeds Dirk when he is calling for it).

But I agree with others who say he is NOT a very good passer for a point guard and NOT a really good decision maker/play maker for his teammates with the ball. And I still say he is more offensively minded than a prototypical pg. I'm not asking JJ to be "sexy" or a great 3point shooter, I wasn't thinking of those things at all. I like what he does scoring wise, and I think that is his greatest strength...but, in my book, that is not a function of a prototypical pg.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2010, 01:38 AM   #122
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I was only looking for things a prototypical point guard does. He zone D stuff and drawing fouls stuff is good...but not to your point about him as a point guard.

I can appreciate your comment about him reposting Dirk, but I also see Terry do that as well (The entire team feeds Dirk when he is calling for it).

But I agree with others who say he is NOT a very good passer for a point guard and NOT a really good decision maker/play maker for his teammates with the ball. And I still say he is more offensively minded than a prototypical pg. I'm not asking JJ to be "sexy" or a great 3point shooter, I wasn't thinking of those things at all. I like what he does scoring wise, and I think that is his greatest strength...but, in my book, that is not a function of a prototypical pg.
I don't know about everyone else on the board but it's really concerning and disturbing when a strangely whoknowswhat-sexual alien talks so much sense...

It sort of distorts reality for me a little bit... disturbing.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #123
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

this team is sorely lacking in capable ballhandlers and JJb is definitely good at that.

assuming that soon Roddy is the starter at off-guard you more than likely have Jet sub in for Kidd near the end of the 1st Quarter. Jet & Roddy together should be able to handle the pressure and get the team into it's offense. it may take some time to gel but the team benefits in the long run if the best players are on the floor the majority of the time.

Last edited by mac222b; 11-25-2010 at 01:49 AM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #124
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
But I agree with others who say he is NOT a very good passer for a point guard and NOT a really good decision maker/play maker for his teammates with the ball. And I still say he is more offensively minded than a prototypical pg.
Well...we get into philosophical grounds here. The term "bus driver" comes to mind. And again...I am coming at this from what I expect is coach Carlisle's perspective. Some coaches have a very fond affinity for bus drivers. Not to say that they are right or wrong (that is another discussion entirely), but I'm sure you will concede the point. Parcells was a coach in that vein, you doubtless recall. He was, I think, more than happy to have a guy in Quincy Carter (or Vinny Testaverde) who he could keep "on the reservation," so to speak, and get to the playoffs with. Hell, for that matter, he was happy to let Phil Simms drive the bus all the way to the Super Bowl title.

Bus drivers are security blankets for coaches, and for teams. JJB is a bus driver. That last sentence encompasses everything we discuss about him on this board, I would bet, and yet I'm sure that most people who read this post would either disagree or not even know what it means.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:08 AM   #125
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Any place to catch a replay?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:24 AM   #126
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bus drivers are security blankets for coaches, and for teams. JJB is a bus driver. That last sentence encompasses everything we discuss about him on this board, I would bet, and yet I'm sure that most people who read this post would either disagree or not even know what it means.
The problem for me is that right now, he's doing more than that, and that extra something he's doing beyond "driving the bus" is mostly negative. I've actually defended him fairly strongly in the past, but his play the last couple weeks has me very concerned.

He's shooting too many shots at a horrible, horrible clip. I completely agree with what you said earlier that it's absurd when people get mad at him for shooting late in the shot clock after nobody else steps up to take a shot. But it's not like that's the only situation in which he's shooting. He's shooting at all points in the clock, from various spots on the floor, and missing just about all of them--especially from deep. It's just got to stop. He's costing the team immensely in terms of efficient possessions. And so is Butler, but that's a topic for another thread.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:08 AM   #127
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I don't quite understand the thinking that jjb isn't a point..He's got tremendous handles for example. He drives like a shooting guard but in this nba most pg's do. He plays well off the ball because he drives the ball.

He might not be a great pg, but he's certainly a point.
He doesnt have good court vision/isnt a good passer and he doesnt run an offense well. His best ability is his ability to score. That means he isnt a pure point.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #128
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

So i did hear right, he really said that Dirk's shot is ugly. What a freakin' idiot! Also, according to him Dirk's turnover prone when pressured. Silly me, i thought he has historically low turnover numbers for a go to guy. This has to be up there with Mashbum's comments about him. I say *+)! 'em! Go Mavs!
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #129
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

That'll do Mavs. That'll do

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #130
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
So i did hear right, he really said that Dirk's shot is ugly. What a freakin' idiot! Also, according to him Dirk's turnover prone when pressured. Silly me, i thought he has historically low turnover numbers for a go to guy. This has to be up there with Mashbum's comments about him. I say *+)! 'em! Go Mavs!
Yeah, they were definitely not the greatest duo. Things I remember them saying: 1) The shots Dirk takes are ugly (kind of makes sense because they were talking about how he leans and fades, so if they'd agree that Kobe also shoots ugly, I'm OK with it), 2) When Dirk is on the right side of the floor he likes to put it on the floor and shoot a righty hook, 3) Dirk will turn the ball over some if you pressure him (as you said above), 4) Dirk is not good passing out of a double team, 5) Dirk does not get any elevation on his shot, 6) I remember at one point the guy shouting good defense after a foul was committed by Krstic..., 7) kept talking about how Stevenson had only made like 15 threes on the year when he made one, as if it was a fluke that he was making them, not mentioned that he's second in the league in 3PT%
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #131
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

JJB is NOT a pure pg. Just thought I'd weigh in on that...

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #132
sinsin

sinsin will become famous soon enoughsinsin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The fact that he's[Stevenson] hitting 3s is the icing on the cake. You ride that until it absolutely breaks.
I think this possibly can break sooner than expected.
Other teams in the NBA do not sleep and while i like Stevenson taking those catch 'n shoot 3's, i do not see anything producitve offensively of him when the other teams start actually guarding him.

Also, earlier in this threat someone said something about Caron thought to be our Robin (e.g. 2nd offensive option) :
I have to admit i really thought he could produce around 19ppg, but i didn't took the fact into consideration that he would be just at 38% FG. He is right at 44% for his career and i really thought his FG% could go up, simply because he would get easier shots in DAL than he had in his prior teams.
sinsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #133
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

BIG WIN BOYS!!!WELL DONE!!!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #134
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
This is what's going to happen:

Chandler/Haywood 48
Nowitzki 36 - Marion 12
Butler 24 - Marion 20 - Kidd 4
Beaubois 32 - Terry 16
Kidd 29 - Terry 19
I don't think so--If the Mavs thought Terry could handle the point, then he'd be playing it now. I think we're more likely to see something like this:

Chandler/Haywood 48
Nowitzki 36 - Marion 12
Butler 28 - Marion 20
Beaubois 24 - Terry 24
Kidd 32 - Barrea 16
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #135
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I've said this much already (but used the word scrappy instead of "bus driver")...I do think Carlisle has a real affinity for JJB that will keep him getting minutes once all are healthy. But Roddy will gobble up much of them.

Quote:
Well...we get into philosophical grounds here. The term "bus driver" comes to mind. And again...I am coming at this from what I expect is coach Carlisle's perspective. Some coaches have a very fond affinity for bus drivers. Not to say that they are right or wrong (that is another discussion entirely), but I'm sure you will concede the point. Parcells was a coach in that vein, you doubtless recall. He was, I think, more than happy to have a guy in Quincy Carter (or Vinny Testaverde) who he could keep "on the reservation," so to speak, and get to the playoffs with. Hell, for that matter, he was happy to let Phil Simms drive the bus all the way to the Super Bowl title.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #136
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Mavs, let's get on a roll. You know who is next!
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #137
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting discussion in this thread.

I don't think Barea is a prototypical PG, but there aren't very many of those left in the NBA.

Back to the rotation, Serious, you may be right. That wouldn't disappoint me too badly, at least in the regular season.

Overall, I'm looking toward the playoffs and what I think this team needs for a deep playoff run. With the right trade, both Marion and Terry would ideally be bench players (in name and role) at playoff time. If no trade is made, I think Marion is pressed into a starting role, even if he doesn't have the title. Either way, the rotation can only realistically include about 8 players. I don't see the Mavs going 9 deep at playoff time.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #138
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
Why is there a post game thread before the game is even over? What is wrong with you people with 7's on your name??

HEY WOOOOAAAAHHHH!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 11-25-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Oh N/M you said 7('s) I only have one.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #139
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer View Post
I don't think so--If the Mavs thought Terry could handle the point, then he'd be playing it now. I think we're more likely to see something like this:

Chandler/Haywood 48
Nowitzki 36 - Marion 12
Butler 28 - Marion 20
Beaubois 24 - Terry 24
Kidd 32 - Barrea 16
I think you are correct..JJB will get the true backup pg minutes. Hopefully he will not be expected to be as aggressive offensively in that role.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #140
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice

i think you aint to far of serious summer but i can not imagine jason terry only getting 24 minutes a game or being happy with only 24 minutes.. it will be more like 28-30 minutes a game for JT and 12 for barea..

the next question mark is roddys ability to come back from an injury that kept him off the court for more than three months. so as long as i have not seen him come back and play at a high level i am not sure if he will get more than 20mpg.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #141
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Quote:
This is what's going to happen:

Chandler/Haywood 48
Nowitzki 36 - Marion 12
Butler 24 - Marion 20 - Kidd 4
Beaubois 32 - Terry 16
Kidd 29 - Terry 19
Are you joking?

Beaubois 22 - Terry 26

Old 11-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #142
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mvp View Post
Are you joking?

Beaubois 22 - Terry 26
if you'll notice, he also has terry down for 19 minutes at backup pg, are you suggesting he plays 45 minutes a game?
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #143
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Because we were up by 12

Thanks for comparing me to xxxx777
Just didn't want to piss off the basketball god and jinx our boys. That is all.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #144
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

The coaching staff has advanced statistics for a while now, Cuban hired those guys to do some advanced +- on players, best combination of players on the floor, etc. So, that, unfortunately means, they knows some quite time already that Jose's impact is not the greatest, to put it this way. Yet, they keep playing him. You don't see DOJO, you don't see Terry at backup PG, they just play Jose, 19 minutes per game.

That should tell us that he'll continue to play no matter what, until Carlisle is our coach. He doesn't care that every advanced statistic shows we are a worse team (actually, much worse) with Jose on the floor, than without him.

He doesn't care that Jose is 2 for 20 in the last 3 games, without getting to the line, or create for others consistently. The only consistency he brings, is that he consistently gets burned on defense. And yet, he always plays. Buckle up people, i don't think that's gonna change once Roddy comes back.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 11-25-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #145
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
HEY WOOOOAAAAHHHH!
Haha, you're an exception... for now .

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #146
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Yet, they keep playing him. You don't see DOJO, you don't see Terry at backup PG, they just play Jose, 19 minutes per game.
I keep seeing people quoting this as evidence that Jet won't play backup PG; simply because he hasn't.

Look, Jet hasn't been playing PG because he's our best SG and we need him to play 30+ minutes at that position. We're about to be in a position where not only do we not need him to play that many minutes at SG, but they won't even be available.

So either you slash Jet's minutes significantly or you slash JJB's. This seems like a no-brainer to me, but I guess we'll see.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #147
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I keep seeing people quoting this as evidence that Jet won't play backup PG; simply because he hasn't.

Look, Jet hasn't been playing PG because he's our best SG and we need him to play 30+ minutes at that position. We're about to be in a position where not only do we not need him to play that many minutes at SG, but they won't even be available.

So either you slash Jet's minutes significantly or you slash JJB's. This seems like a no-brainer to me, but I guess we'll see.
That makes sense, i hope you're right.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #148
41mvp
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
if you'll notice, he also has terry down for 19 minutes at backup pg, are you suggesting he plays 45 minutes a game?
no no 45 minutes is too much for him.He is 33 years.I think Terry will be play 25-30 minutes on SG spot.When he plays on PG I can't see for him.
I think Roddy will be play 18 minutes on SG and maybe 10 minutes on PG.
This is my opinion.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #149
Mascha99

Mascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really nice
Default JJB as point guard

OK, I am the newbee here.

Still, I will try define what a a great point guard does.

The perfect PG gels the team. He instinctively knows what the team needs in any given situation. If points are needed, he scores. If people get cold,
he will give them the ball in the best position to get hot.

He will slash and kick out to a guy slashing to the rim.

He will slow games down when people are tired and will start rushing when the opposing team gets tired.

Thats what Jason Kidd does, and it can only be learned so far, most of it is instinct.

JJB does not have this instinct, he is a SG in an undersized PG body.

JJB will spark the offense when it is stale, he still has that undersized juvenile advantage where NBA players do not take him seriously slashing to the basket, but his ability to go into the paint and score is more of an abnormalty then a consistent threat. In the playoffs bigs will just stand in the lane and not even jump to block him.

That said, he can be an important part of the team, but to consider him a point guard is ridiculous. He has the handles of one, but thats it. He is a SG and because of his size he plays the PG spot. But he disrupts the offense and seldom gives the number 1 option, Dirk, a pass, when it is really needed, because he wants to be the last shot hero.

I do not know the other players well enough to suggest the needed changes, but JJB should only come of the bench if nothing else works. He is too short, a defensive liability, although in the zone that still works because of defensive help. Yes, he does work his ass off, and gets charges, I applaud him for that.

He is a role player with too many minutes at the moment - and I still admire him because to get as far in the NBA as he did takes a ton of heart, which he has. Loosing his shooting touch sure does not help him get further...

I hope he will be a bench player with perhaps 15 minutes in the future and will be part of a champion team. However, if he plays more then that he will never be, imo.
Mascha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #150
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Very interesting discussion in this thread.

I don't think Barea is a prototypical PG, but there aren't very many of those left in the NBA.

Back to the rotation, Serious, you may be right. That wouldn't disappoint me too badly, at least in the regular season.

Overall, I'm looking toward the playoffs and what I think this team needs for a deep playoff run. With the right trade, both Marion and Terry would ideally be bench players (in name and role) at playoff time. If no trade is made, I think Marion is pressed into a starting role, even if he doesn't have the title. Either way, the rotation can only realistically include about 8 players. I don't see the Mavs going 9 deep at playoff time.
I agree with the part about the 8 man rotation. In a perfect world the rotation would consist of the starters and either the combination of a backup combo guard, combo forward and center or a backup PG, backup 2/3 and backup 4/5 The minutes would then be divided as such

Starting PG-34 mpg
Starting SG-34 mpg
Starting SF-34 mpg
Starting PF- 36 mpg
Starting C- 30 mpg

Combo Guard-28 mpg
Combo F-26 mpg
Backup Center-18 mpg
or
Backup pg-14 mpg
Backup 2/3-28 mpg
Backup 4/5-30 mpg

Based on the current players we have I think we have 7 of the 8 positions in the first option filled(assuming Roddy B is both healthy and what everyone wants him to be) That would leave you with

Kidd-34 mpg
Roddy B-34 mpg(and no I dont think this is too many, though I do think its more than we will give him)
SF-Not here yet but 34 mpg
Dirk-36 mpg
Chandler-38 mpg

Jet-14 mpg at Pg, 14 mpg at sg. I see no problem with Jet as the backup one as long as theres always another ballhandler(Roddy) on the court with him. We still run quite a bit of Isos and pick and rolls anyway and he is our best pick and roll guard. With another ballhandler as good as Roddy and Dirks ability to help a little if necesarry, I dont think bringing the ball up is as bad an issue as some.

Marion-!4 mpg at SF, 12 mpg at PF. Perfect role for him imo.

Haywood-18 mpg at C. Perfect role for him imo.

That means that you have everything you need except a SF. That leaves you with Caron Butler's expiring contract, Dojo, money and picks to go get that SF. If you chose to go the other way it would be more like this

Kidd-34 mpg
Roddy-34 mpg
Marion-34 mpg
Dirk-36 mpg
Chandler-30 mpg

JJB-14 Mpg at pg(hes the truest backup pg on the team)

Backup 2/3-Not here yet, 14 mpg at sg, 14 mpg at sf. Stevenson would probably actually be closer to this imo than Butler

backup 4/5-Not here yet.

This would leave you with Butler, Terry, Haywood(hes BYE though and I dont think he has any value with his contract), Dojo, picks and money to try to get a backup swing man and a backup 4/5.

I would lean toward option one because it only leaves you with one hole to fill though I could understand if someone argued that getting a backup 2/3 and 4/5 would be easier than getting a starting SF.

Edit-Just so were clear, I do understand that for foul purposes and spark reasons that other people will get spot minutes. This is simply what I would have as my main goal going into games.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 11-25-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #151
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

To me, the reason JET has not played point guard (and not a few minutes here and there...absolutely NO point guard in years) is because the new coaching staff believes he's not one. And if that's the case, they're not just going to change their mind.

I do think they are correct. He's not a point guard. However, that doesn't mean he can't pretend to be one for stretches off the bench. The fact that he isn't even playing point in garbage minutes makes me believe that the coaches think that he can't do that either.

Not playing a position doesn't mean you can't play it, but if the coaches don't think you can it doesn't matter.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #152
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
To me, the reason JET has not played point guard (and not a few minutes here and there...absolutely NO point guard in years) is because the new coaching staff believes he's not one. And if that's the case, they're not just going to change their mind.

I do think they are correct. He's not a point guard. However, that doesn't mean he can't pretend to be one for stretches off the bench. The fact that he isn't even playing point in garbage minutes makes me believe that the coaches think that he can't do that either.

Not playing a position doesn't mean you can't play it, but if the coaches don't think you can it doesn't matter.
I'm afraid you're right. When Roddy gets back we'll still be complaining about JJB. In Carlisle's mind there's only 2 people on the planet capable of playing PG for the Mavs and that's JJB or Kidd. He hasn't given anyone else a chance in years.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #153
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
I'm afraid you're right. When Roddy gets back we'll still be complaining about JJB. In Carlisle's mind there's only 2 people on the planet capable of playing PG for the Mavs and that's JJB or Kidd. He hasn't given anyone else a chance in years.
Roddy will not come in, fresh off an injury, reacclimating to the speed of the game, and take all of JJB's minutes at a position he has sucked at. So that probably means that, yes, JJ's place in the rotation is safe, at least until the All-Star break.

Let's not rule out a trade, though. If Carlisle truly believes Terry cannot play the point well enough, then I respect that, and I realize that his only option is to stick with JJB at this point. Seriously, its not like he has some veteran on the bench he could play, and I would be rather nervous to throw Jones out there alone (though he should get some time at the 2 from time to time, I still think). He's got Kidd, and he's got Barea. He's the head coach...its easy to armchair coach and say Terry should play point, but he's the one who really should know, not you or me viewing the team from a very large distance. So maybe the Mavs need to go trade for a veteran point guard who can really help get Kidd some rest.

Last edited by tcat075; 11-25-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #154
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Roddy will not come in, fresh off an injury, reacclimating to the speed of the game, and take all of JJB's minutes at a position he has sucked at. So that probably means that, yes, JJ's place in the rotation is safe, at least until the All-Star break.

Let's not rule out a trade, though. If Carlisle truly believes Terry cannot play the point well enough, then I respect that, and I realize that his only option is to stick with JJB at this point. Seriously, its not like he has some veteran on the bench he could play, and I would be rather nervous to throw Jones out there alone (though he should get some time at the 2 from time to time, I still think). He's got Kidd, and he's got Barea. He's the head coach...its easy to armchair coach and say Terry should play point, but he's the one who really should know, not you or me viewing the team from a very large distance. So maybe the Mavs need to go trade for a veteran point guard who can really help get Kidd some rest.
I never said Roddy should play PG. Roddy should play 2-guard and JET should be the backup PG. And yes, JET is some veteran with skins on the wall as a PG.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #155
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

SLAMonline game notes:
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...vs-at-thunder/
Quote:
Game Notes: Mavs at Thunder

Dallas sacrifices for the W.

by Todd Spehr

PREGAME

- Steve Novak is sweating. Already. He’s running sprints up and down the sidelines, working on his off-the-dribble shot, basically giving attention to the parts of his game that, to be blunt, urgently need attention.

- Darrell Armstrong is working Novak out, and he legitimately hasn’t aged a bit. He could still be the 27-year-old who bombed in the 1996 dunk competition, just by looking at him. It’s somewhat appropriate that he works Novak out. There was a point in Armstrong’s career where he was in the position Novak is in now: Fork in the road, a career waiting but certainly not guaranteed, one that won’t be handed out but instead worked for. Armstrong lasted 14 seasons – hopefully Novak can stick around.

- Shawn Marion’s jumper has been analyzed sufficiently during his 12-year career, but for the record, his release point is somewhere between his chin and lower lip.

- 79 minutes before the tip, Dirk Nowitzki is warming up with Mavs assistant coach Brad Davis (who, it has to be pointed out, is sporting one of the finest Fu Manchu’s in recent memory). Every motion is broken down to mechanics: Nowitzki will lunge before shooting, take a low dribble before shooting – it’s as if you’re watching his game in slow motion.

- Nowitzki also has a jovial side that we need to know more about. He kids a ball boy who’s miming a Justin Timberlake song, he pokes fun at an assistant who has strayed from another Mavs player in order to talk to a lady on the sidelines, and he even impersonates the streetball movement with a variety of gyrations and exaggerated dribbles. He’s having a good time. He also makes a kid’s night by stopping by on his way to the locker room for a quick chat.

- Random tidbit tonight: Thunder head coach Scott Brooks and Mavs guard Jason Kidd were once teammates. Brooks joked prior that he was a better shooter than Kidd when they played together and held on to that as long as he could, that is, until he realized one day that only four people have ever made more threes than Kidd.

- The League’s top two scorers are squaring off tonight – Kevin Durant and Dirk Nowitzki. Somewhere, Bob McAdoo is happy.

FIRST QUARTER

- Kidd has Thanksgiving greetings for all on press row, whether he knows them or not.

- Kidd exudes a little playfulness; you can tell he enjoys a match-up with a hot young player like Russell Westbrook. Westbrook is isolated in Kidd early and Kidd just smiles. Kidd goes under all screens, and is playing roughly 37 feet off of Westbrook, daring him to shoot.

- For those who don’t know who Kevin Cutler is, and I dare say there’s many, just know that he’s quite possibly the world’s largest referee. He runs about 6-9 and is wide. He whistles Shawn Marion for one of his three first quarter fouls, Marion whirls around, sees that it was Cutler who made the call, and decides to walk to the other side of the floor to debate the call with a referee who wasn’t involved. Not saying Marion’s scared, I’m just saying that… well, I don’t know what I’m saying.

- Jason Terry and Serge Ibaka find themselves checking into the game at the same time. Terry puts out his hands and greets Ibaka warmly; Ibaka is thoroughly perplexed by this.

- A fan rims out a half-court shot that would’ve paid $20,000.

- This is just an observation, but I’ve been coming to Thunder games since they moved here, and Kevin Durant’s legs are a lot thicker than they used to be. He used to be working with a couple of twigs but his base is really rounding out. Sure enough, he gets bumped off balance by Caron Butler but is able to steady himself quicker. Of course, it helps that you can make a one-legged fadeaway in the first place, but still.

End of first: OKC 27 Dallas 24. Durant 10 points, and Westbrook 7 assists and just one shot taken. Nowitzki has 6 points.

SECOND QUARTER

- The visiting scouts sitting courtside are earning their pay tonight: Rick Carlisle is covering his mouth on most play calls, and of course, don’t forget this is the self-described “Loud City.”

- The Thunder are so hard to stop when their defense leads to offense; they run in numbers and get layups and dunks, which gets the crowd crazy. It’s cyclical like that.

- Kidd throws a bullet to Chandler for the layup. Kidd is not breakneck like he once was, but he’s thoughtful and calculated, and his game lends itself now to gradual aging: Run the offense, push on occasion, and spot up for the open looks.

- Nowitzki, similarly, operates within the confines of something that allows him to operate at a high level as he ages. He’s living right now off switches and post-ups, and doesn’t force anything.

- Tyson Chandler is feisty tonight. Not only is he rebounding at a high rate, but he shoved Jeff Green out of the way on one possession, then was called for a technical on the next when he got into it with Ibaka. Durant put out that flame during the next timeout, sharing a smile with Chandler.

Half: OKC 56, Dallas 55. Durant 15 points, Green 14, and Westbrook with 9 assists and just 2 shots taken. Butler has 15 points, and Nowitzki has 12.

THIRD QUARTER

- Nowitzki rakes his arms through the defender and draws a two-shot foul, much to the amusement of Durant, who has been tabbed as someone who resurrected the move. Durant walks over to Scott Foster, who has a little bite himself, to discuss it.

- Speaking of Foster, he and Carlisle have been involved in an unconvincing argument all night, neither of their hearts really in it. Just banter, basically.

- DeShawn Stevenson is now matched with Durant. Then Butler. Then Marion.

- Green fouls Nowitzki and then bites his jersey. He wasn’t T’d up and thus a suitable reaction was born.

- Westbrook gets his first field goal halfway through the third. He’s more aggressive now. Conversely, Kidd’s jumper is off – he’s missed 6 in a row.

- Durant hits another one-legged floater, and OKC is up 11. But Kidd fires oDirk Nowitzki & Shawn Marionff two assists, and Chandler is rebounding everything; Dallas claws back.

End of third: OKC 81, Dallas 75. Durant has 26 points on just 13 field-goal attempts Nowitzki has 17 points, while Chandler has 14 points and 14 boards..

FOURTH QUARTER

- Marion walks by press row, and on his left tricep is the word “Loyalty”; on his right, “Courage.” He’s guarding Durant in the fourth, so he’ll need the right arm.

- Nowitzki draws James Harden on a switch and hits a shot over him. Nowitzki then laughs. Later, he baits Harden into a foul and pokes his tongue out.

- Scott Brooks stands up to referee Kevin Cutler, barking at him, and if anyone remembers Brooks as a player this will come as no surprise.

- A sign titled “Dirkey Season,” with a picture of Durant shooting at a turkey with Nowitzki’s head on it, wins something during a timeout.

- Dallas rips off a 9-0 run, including a Nowitzki four-point play, to go up 93-90.

- When a shot clock violation call is missed, Jason Terry walks over to the scorer’s table during a stop in the action to pick up the TV monitor with two hands. The call isn’t reversed.

- Kidd finally hits a long two, then hits a three, this after missing eight straight shots. Then Marion, the unsung hero of the fourth, tips one in for a 100-93 lead. The crowd is deflated.

- Durant has been somewhat nullified in the fourth, thanks for Marion. He misses five shots in a row.

Final: Dallas 111, OKC 103. Nowitzki finished with 32, as did Durant. Kidd had 12 assists, and Marion was huge on both ends in the fourth.

POSTGAME

- Rick Carlisle is pinned to the wall in the hallway by the media, and talks about how this team is as closed-knit as he’s coached. Carlisle played on the ’86 Celtics, so he knows a close-knit team when he sees it.

- Sure enough, as the reporters enter the locker room Nowitzki yells at the top of his voice that everyone you get over to Tyson Chandler to talk about his night. The media obliges. He’s knee-deep (both legs) in ice but Chandler is happy to talk about his night.

- Marion is also happy to talk – happy to be appreciated, really. He talks about his defense on Durant, and is asked about this Dallas team. “We all like each other, that helps.” There you go.

- The last word comes from Kidd, who is dressing quietly in the corner but is polite with the media. He talks about how Dallas is made up of guys who have all had their own individual success (he’s right: Nowitzki, Butler, Marion, Chandler, Terry and himself) but who are now focused on sacrificing. It certainly looked that way tonight.

Last edited by mavErika; 11-26-2010 at 12:44 AM.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #156
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
I never said Roddy should play PG. Roddy should play 2-guard and JET should be the backup PG. And yes, JET is some veteran with skins on the wall as a PG.
Yeah, my bad, my post was confusing. I was more trying to state a fact that he won't be available. Anyway, the other point remains: Carlisle does not appear to think JET can play point. Nothing else really matters, because obviously he gives out minutes. Personally, I'm not going to say he can't, but am going to say that Carlisle is a lot closer to the action.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #157
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

We need a game day thread for tonight! Paging "Bayliss"
Old 11-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #158
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
Love the bit about each of the players on the roster has had individual success and is now sacrificing for the team.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #159
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
Thanks MavErika...I may have to check out slamonline a little more often. that is a wonderful game synopsis..I love the off the court stuff...

what I come away with on this is that these are two teams that are classy, mavs seem especially so. It's also kind of surprising to see sportswriters who just now find out what a goof-ball the dirkster is. And how much hard work he puts into it.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #160
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreed on both counts.

I commented on the Dirk wing three in the GDT. I really can't recall Dirk EVER shooting corner threes before those two plays the last two games.

It really makes sense though. Why not get a shooter like Dirk more of the most efficient shots in basketball (corner threes)? I love it.
The corner three used to be Dirk's bread and butter earlier in his career before teams made so much of an effort to not give it to him..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote