Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-17-2003, 10:38 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Sorry to be so gleeful about such a tragic event. But I love this feature and I'd love to see this girl get what she deserves. Why? This is what she told the officer about why she ran over a waitress who was writing down her license plate while she skipped her $100 dinner tab.

"What the ... [expletive] was I supposed to do, stop the car?"

For those of you not in D/FW, this story made big headlines for a couple of days before an ex-cowboy did something equally stupid with even more tragic results.

Detective: Driver cursed at waitress
Murder suspect heard laughing before arrest; bail reduction denied

01/17/2003

By TIM WYATT / The Dallas Morning News

The 19-year-old driver charged in the death of an Irving waitress cursed the injured woman for hanging onto the trunk of the getaway car as it sped out of a restaurant parking lot, a detective testified Thursday.

Minutes later, officers overheard the driver laugh and talk with her friends in the car before their arrest.

The testimony was in contrast to defense attorneys' portrayal of Sarah Foust as distraught and remorseful over the death of Jennifer Sanchez, a 20-year-old college student.

During a bail-reduction hearing in a Dallas court, Irving Detective Randall Johnson provided more details on the Jan. 3 death of Ms. Sanchez. She was fatally injured while trying to write down the license plate number of a carload of people who left without paying at a Bennigan's restaurant.

According to testimony, Ms. Foust yelled, "Bitch, get off the car!" as she tried to skip out on the $131 bill that included nine alcoholic drinks for the four diners, three of whom were underage.

Prosecutors called Detective Johnson to the stand to refute the defense's arguments to have Ms. Foust's $100,000 bail reduced to $25,000 on a murder charge. The bail reduction was denied.

Detective Johnson quoted Kortnie Henson, 19, who dined and drank with Ms. Foust and two other friends before running out.

With Ms. Sanchez still holding onto the trunk, Ms. Foust made a hard turn out of the parking lot, the detective said. Ms. Sanchez was thrown to the pavement and died later at the hospital of head injuries sustained in the fall.

A Dallas County grand jury has yet to hear the case against Ms. Foust, but police said they charged her with murder because Ms. Sanchez was deliberately thrown. Ms. Foust also faces a drunken-driving charge.

Ms. Henson of Midlothian and 19-year-old David W. Thornton of Duncanville have posted $500 bonds. The two, who were in the back seat of the car, are charged with theft of service for not paying the restaurant bill, a Class B misdemeanor.

Police have issued an arrest warrant for Michael John Prewitt, 26, who is accused of theft of service and providing alcohol to minors, both misdemeanors.

Mr. Prewitt was not in the car, but police said they believe that the front passenger seat was open for him.

Detective Johnson cited reports by patrol officers who pulled over the 1978 Chevrolet Nova less than two miles from the restaurant. Officers said Ms. Foust was "laughing with Kortnie Henson and very talkative," not the emotional wreck described by defense attorney David Scoggins.

Emotional scene

Thursday's testimony triggered sobs from family members of Ms. Sanchez, whose funeral was last week.

Mr. Scoggins asked state District Judge Janice Warder to cut Ms. Foust's bail to $25,000, an amount that her relatives could afford to post. He told the judge that his client could be monitored with an electronic bracelet and put under house arrest that would allow her to stay at her mother's Grand Prairie apartment and care for her 3-year-old daughter.

Prosecutor Keith Robinson argued against any reduction, given the "callousness of the defendant's actions and her demeanor upon her arrest."

"We're not talking about a situation that was a spontaneous act," he said. "This was premeditated."

In declining to lower the bail, Judge Warder said the amount was appropriate for such an "egregious" act.

As bailiffs led Ms. Foust back to her jail cell Thursday, she looked at her family and broke into sobs.

Mr. Scoggins said the stress on both families was intense and the testimony was "regrettable."

"I'm sorry they had to hear those details right now," he said. "This entire tragedy is still fresh and raw in everyone's minds."

According to the Irving police investigation and interviews between Ms. Foust and Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission investigators, the four people left an Irving motel room shared by Ms. Foust and her boyfriend, Mr. Prewitt, to have dinner and drinks without paying.

Man 'still running'

Detective Johnson said the group arrived about 12:30 a.m., had dinner and was served nine alcoholic drinks in less than an hour. The three 19-year-olds walked out to the car, and Mr. Prewitt sat at the table for a while before bolting out a side emergency exit, the detective said.

Mr. Prewitt ran out just in time to see the waitress being hit as Ms. Foust backed out of a parking space, Detective Johnson said.

"He continued to run and is still running," the detective said of Mr. Prewitt.

During an interview hours after her arrest, Ms. Henson told Detective Johnson that she asked Ms. Foust why she kept driving after hitting the waitress.

According to the detective, Ms. Foust answered, "What the ... [expletive] was I supposed to do, stop the car?"
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2003, 11:01 AM   #2
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

i personaly object the death penalty.
i believe no man has the right to decide when a man should or deserves to die,thats doing gods job.

i know there's alot of stuff thats so horific you think twice,but even than,its wrong.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 11:15 AM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

This is another sad and traggic story. The driver of that car should never see freedom again in her life. She has forfeited the right to live in society with her actions. There is no excuse for her actions.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #4
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

than put her in jail for the rest of her life,but dont continue the killin,it would'nt help.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:32 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I wholeheartedly support the death penalty.

And she can be a candidate for it as far as I am concerned.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< than put her in jail for the rest of her life,but dont continue the killin,it would'nt help. >>

Actually many times the death penalty give closure and some measure of pease to the victims families. While this is not always the case, it is in some. The families are tortured by relieving the crime with each parole hearing if life is given. There are some other factors to take into account her. The death penalty is also a very strong deterent. No criminal has ever committed a crime after being executed. I don't think the woman in question fits the bill of one who will committ major crimes in prison, but you never know.

I firmly believe that the death penalty is a necessary punishment to have. I don't think that it is appropriate in every case. However with this case I will be able to live with either the death penalty or life in prison with no chance of parole. I do not want that woman on the streets again, ever.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:05 PM   #7
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

im sorry but no matter how more pisitive arguements you'll find,it could never be enough.
what your doing is justifying killing a humen bean!you cant kill him because it brings closure to the families,or because you think that man should never be alowed to walk among us.

i thought about this subject alot,long before this thread,its something i think each of you should do aswell.
i can give you the best example i know:
in israel,the only way you could get the death penalty is if you we're a nazi responible of the attempt of wiping out jewdeisem,if your a spy,or if you betreyed israel during a war.
the max penalty was implemented once,when israel caught Adolf Aicman,a nazi who is personaly responsible for the killing of more than 300,000 jewish man,women and children.

the hollercost is rememberd very very strongly in this country as you can see,every year we dedicate a day to remember the over 6 milions.
despite that,despite the pain and as much i want that man tortured and despite the amount of closure it will bring to the survivors,i see it clear as day,
we should not hav killed him,its not our choice.
this is what i mean when i say we're doing gods job.
the way i see it,when you legalize killing a man,it is the lowest point humen kind can be.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I guess this all stems from my &quot;...and I'd love to see this girl get what she deserves&quot; comment. The death penalty was the furthest thing from my mind when I said that.

Sorry.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 01:33 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

NP: I understand how you feel and see your points. I just don't necessarily agree with all.

For me personally, I would rather see the death penalty for those who prison cannot reasonably keep from committing further crimes. But I have no problem with it being applied to people who committ heinous crimes. I do think that the standard of proof for a death penalty to be given should be substantially higher than for life imprisionment.

A few years ago some men escaped from prison and shot and killed a police officer. Prison cannoth protect us from people such as these and the death penalty is the only way that I see to protect society from those this intent on inflicting harm.

Israel and most other countries do support another form of the death penalty. War. In war we must fight and often kill our enemies to retain our freedoms. There are good arguments for and against the death penalty IMO. While I don't agree with you, I respect your right to have the opinion that you do. This is not an easy and clear cut issue. Whatever decision exposes at least some risk. If more people had moral convictions and stuck to them maybe the death penalty would not come up as much. But it does not gladden my heart to see someone executed.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:38 PM   #10
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

i do understand your point LRB,and i respect it and your right to express it.

lets just hope for better times for all of us,we see too much grief.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:46 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

NP: I will gladly second that.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:56 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Until there is peace in the hearts of all men.....seek it with all your power.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:59 PM   #13
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

i personaly dont think its possible,heaven on earth if you will.
man,in is nature is stupid,he'll find a way to ruin it.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:22 PM   #14
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I agree with N_P's postion. The death penalty is wrong because killing is wrong. I agree that it is the work of God to decide the day and hour for all human beings. In no way, however do I mean that this person should not be held accountable for her actions and lose her right to her freedom. Also, and this is the least of the arguement, it does cost more to put a person to death than to inprison them for life in the U.S.

If any of you want to explore this issue further I encourage you to read about the life of Sister Helen Prejean. The movie, &quot;Dead Man Walking&quot; is a true story of her work with a death row inmane in Louisiana. She is an excellent speaker who has come to Texas in the past to discuss the death penalty. I heard her in San Antonio a couple of years ago. Even if you believe very strongly in the death penalty you could learn much from her and at least feel that you have heard the other side.

A second point: If you work in a store or restaurant NEVER chase after a shoplifter unless you are trained to handle that kind of situation and have been hired to do so. No item or money is worth your life.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:38 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Not to be argumentative, but historically speaking the bible references the death penalty. It also directs us to &quot;obey the laws of the land&quot; which is where the phrase &quot;When in Rome do as the Romans do&quot; came from. I have heard some very interesting debates on this here at Baylor and appreciate and respect both sides of the discussion. It is a difficult debate to be sure.