Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-08-2003, 01:01 AM   #41
centrlpark08

centrlpark08 is on a distinguished road

Ok everyone lets stop this shit talking here! Look steve nash is just saying he doesnt want war, he's half right and half wrong ok? he's right about not going to war for many reasons like the economy, families, and deaths. He's wrong about how we shouldnt go to war, if we dont go to war saddaam could develope nukes and kill us all damn it! so i think what he says i can agree and disagree. Now can we get back to mavs talk?
Old 02-08-2003, 01:04 AM   #42
kepper

kepper is on a distinguished road

I AGREE!!!
Old 02-08-2003, 01:06 AM   #43
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

be careful EVILMAV2 you might make the gods angry! oh wait a minute, you think your one!

Actually, I don't much feel like an angry god... I do feel like going to the bathroom and taking a piss though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]...
Old 02-08-2003, 01:24 AM   #44
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

<<

<< Ahh, he's just uneducated on the entire situation and overly idealistic. Big deal. I disagree with him. Big deal. I still like the guy. Most celebrities and athletes are too insulated to really go beyond the &quot;let's all love each other&quot; level anyway.

Seleen, I don't know what country you think this is, but there's nothing all that courageous about stating an opinion held by 40% of Americans. It's his opinion, he can state it. You act like this is Orwell's 1984 or something over here.
>>

I don't know why you are trying to impugn seleens free speech??? Stern has just as much &quot;right&quot; to discipline nash for saying this as he would for that coach in denver making racist comments. Free speech is free speech isn't it?? Not really if it reflects poorly on your business. Haven't you taken sensitivity training??
>>

The difference is clear. Saying you're against war is not the same as calling someone a &quot;mexican piece of shit.&quot; Disciplining racism is something you have to do because of PR. Disciplining opinions that don't even differ from any sort of &quot;offical&quot; opinion is called the Thought Police. Duh. C'mon, people can say they're against war. I'm speaking from common sense, here. You don't punish people for differing opinions.. unless it's one of those hot buttons.. race, sexuality, etc. Even then, it's not technically something you should be able to do but you get away with it because of societal norms.

Anyway.. I'm not against war, but Steve is, oh well. Whoopteedoo. He's a ball player. He can say what he wants. This is America. I think he's wrong and generally get annoyed by celebs trying to be political. For that reason, I don't pay much attention to any of them. They're all unqualified.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 01:30 AM   #45
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

I hate Peace Fakers. I believe Bush over Sodom, Clooney and the Frenchies. Screw the looney left and hollyweird. I guess they wont mind the wifes and girl friends dressed in tents if we let the Wahabies and Bin Laden free reign in the US. Attack them before they attack us.

NASH Just shut up and play basketball for gods sake!!!
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 02:21 AM   #46
TexRich23

TexRich23 is on a distinguished road

IMO,

Nash made a bonehead move. He should just field basketball questions and shut up about his anti-war statements. He is Canadian so I guess he doesn't understand how much of a prevledge it is for him to make millions of dollars in America, while American troops make sacrifices for him and his lap of luxury.

Even though I am a Mavs fan, I will not be an apologist for a jerkoff. While he is on the court, he is cool. But now that he has shown his stupidity and disrespect towards our troops and commander-in-chief, once he walks off the court he is just another lousy pathetic Canadian, eh.

Old 02-08-2003, 02:34 AM   #47
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Good Grief. I guess only certain people have the rights to freedom of speech in this country according to a lot of your postings. Now I'm about a 180 on Nashs views as you can get. But he has the right to say them. Just because he's a basketball player doesn't mean he should lose his rights to free speech. So he says something that I disagree with. Big hairy deal. He wears a T-shirt and answers a few questions on his views. It's not like he's making visits to Bagdad and saying how nice they are treating American POWs. He has an opinion and expressed it and then moved on. I don't have a problem with that. It's not the end of the free world.

He didn't say he would go play in France if we went to war did he? (BTW I'm still waiting on Steisand to keep her promise and move out of the USA since Bush won the election. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

I think that this is pretty much a non issue. And I somewhat shocked by many of the responses.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:05 AM   #48
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Steve Nash, why would you say such a thing? You are playing in TEXAS!
Old 02-08-2003, 03:12 AM   #49
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, Nash...I admit, probably wrong forum but what about freedom of speech?? I thought, that is one of America`s highest goods?? What did he say?? Oh, he was against war!!! Bad boy, traitor...
OK, if your governement has got a new policy, then you should got to war against North Korea, as well...that is by far the greater threat right now...too bad, North Korea has got no oil and 1.2 billion chinese people are just waiting across the border...you NEED to go to war against North Korea, if your new policy of making the first strike should be taken seriously...
Why did the US support Bin Laden and Saddam in the past?? That`s the problem, if you constantly support bastards around the world to help you against a certain regime...that will you get back at you, some day...

...did you know this??
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 03:41 AM   #50
TexRich23

TexRich23 is on a distinguished road

IMO,

It's not like the guy is going to be shot as soon as he walks back on Texas soil. As I recall he still has the right to say what he wants and know one is going to take that away from him. Especially with our troops defending that right for him. But we also have the right to criticize the jerk for his idiotic and thoughtless opinion or comments. He knew when he wore that &quot;No War&quot; shirt to media day, that he was putting himself in the crossfire. He is a big boy, and I'm sure he doesn't care what we think.

Old 02-08-2003, 05:56 AM   #51
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

why i support nash and his T-shirt?

look at your reactions guys!

so much for freedom of speech. as long as you jump on anyone voicing his opinion the way nash did it there is no freedom of speech in your holy country, and a -&quot;millionaire basketball players&quot; should not care about what´s happening beyond the court- statement shows exactly why i am proud to have nash on our team.

there are things more important than basketball around that EVERYONE should cope with, and it is just the easy way to sit back and be a &quot;millionaire basketball player&quot;.

and MavsKiki - i live in a country that is labeled &quot;like Cuba and Libya&quot; for voicing it´s opinion, so please DON`T TELL ME YOU KNOW ABOUT TREATING FREEDOM OF SPEECH RIGHT in the U.S.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:52 AM   #52
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

It's surprising to read so many angry posts about this modest display of Steve's political view on Iraq. The shirt merely expressed a view point held by at least one out of every three Americans, and more than that percentage of Canadians.

Being a bball player does not mean one forfeits their abilty and right to express their opinion on our government's (as well as his, as Canada has forces in the gulf too) actions. There is a strong tradition of public discussion regarding the correct course of public policy in both our countries history, and I'm glad Steve has the balls to do so himself.

He's an intelligent guy who is interested in more than just the gym. What's wrong with that?
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:08 AM   #53
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Nash's oppinion, valid or not valid, correct or wrong, is overrated over here.

I like when he talks with his speeding legs.

I´d like to see him making WAR to kings, with hate not with fear.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:12 AM   #54
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

The bottom line is that Nash gets his paycheck from a diverse group of Americans with many different views. Most of them believe very strongly one way or the other. Nash shouldn't make his views public if he wants that diverse group to still support him 100%. Thats it. He had to know the consequenses of wearing a political t-shirt in such a public forum. He had a purpose when he wore this shirt. These entertainers must be stupid and must not realize where their bread is buttered. How many business owners would actually wear a t-shirt of that magnitude in front of their clients? None. They are not that stupid. Imagine if you owned a large pizza chain and you wore a t-shirt that stated that you were an &quot;athiest for life&quot;! It is certainly your right to do so but, as a business owner, you better be ready for the consequenses. Nash screwed up and I hope this doesn't get any national pub.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:22 AM   #55
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Another thing, how many of you felt warm and fuzzy with Chris Jackson (aka Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf) after he refused to stand during the National Anthem? If he would have simply ignored his political views in such a public forum nobody would have know his real views. Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf brought an enormous amount of bad pub to himself because of his &quot;political statement&quot;. What an idiot.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:53 AM   #56
dalek

dalek is on a distinguished road

From a cbs.sportline article:

The political statement of the day came from Dallas Mavericks guard
Steve Nash, in his second All-Star Game. The native of Victoria,
B.C., was wearing an anti-war T-shirt. &quot;I believe that war would be a
huge mistake and that people should really educate themselves on the
situation,&quot; Nash said. &quot;I think that war would have incredible
repercussions not only in the Middle East, but also here in the States.
In the Constitution, it states that war is to be used in the case of
self-defense and I don't think that this is self-defense or that it is
necessary.&quot;

I don't mind someone who disagrees with me. Heck that's what makes America great.
What I DO mind is someone who says &quot;If you were as EDUCATED as me then you would
have no choice but to agree with my stance&quot;. A parallel would be the Michael Jackson
interview where everytime he would be asked a hard question regarding what people
thought of his lifestyle he would respond &quot;They're just ignorant!&quot;. Come on! Just
because someone has a singing gift or can hit a 3-pointer at will does not make them
more enlightened.
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:07 AM   #57
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

WAH! WAH! WAH!... Boo hoo hoo. Like criticising nash is somehow stopping his freedom of speech, if he has it, then so do the criticisers. If he's WRONG and in my opinion creating a climate where terrorists will be emboldened because the american people do not show resolve then I(and obviously other americans) will CALL HIM OUT on it.

It is dangerous, when the next terrorist attack comes to these shores (and it will, we ARE in an elevated terrorist level right now) nash's comments and others like him will have emboldened these murderers because they do not feel that america has the long-term resolve to combat them.

These islamists are like the terminator.... THEY WILL NEVER GIVE UP, until they are dead, don't you GET IT. That is why there are so many folks upset about his stupid comment.

And let me tell you something, if he keeps it up I will NOT be cheering him at the arena and I will be re-thinking season tickets. That's just the way it is. I have to deal with not enjoying something that I like very much, but Stevie (and unfortuanately HIS COMPANY) has to deal with it as well..

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:19 AM   #58
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< why i support nash and his T-shirt?

look at your reactions guys!

so much for freedom of speech. as long as you jump on anyone voicing his opinion the way nash did it there is no freedom of speech in your holy country, and a -&quot;millionaire basketball players&quot; should not care about what´s happening beyond the court- statement shows exactly why i am proud to have nash on our team.
>>

Sorry seelenger, what kind of comment is your &quot;holy country&quot;, you know where you can stick that one. And the point about &quot;millionaire basketball players&quot; is that here is a person who has reaped wonderful riches by using the wonderful freedom(s) that OTHERS have been willing to give their lives to provide him. If steve wants to make an ass of himself and risk THAT MILLIONAIRE lifestyle then fine, go for it, but don't expect the &quot;little people&quot; to continue blindly paying 150 bucks a ticket to see him. Tough. YOU can support him, it's fine, others will not and that is fine as well. This IS freedom of speech, you just don't like anyone calling you on it.

<< there are things more important than basketball around that EVERYONE should cope with, and it is just the easy way to sit back and be a &quot;millionaire basketball player&quot;. >>

Again the &quot;millionaire basketball player&quot; reference is that IN GENERAL that entertainers and millionaire basketball players are completely insulated from reality and they use their high visibility to many times voice their opinions but many times don't have a clue about reality

<< and MavsKiki - i live in a country that is labeled &quot;like Cuba and Libya&quot; for voicing it´s opinion, so please DON`T TELL ME YOU KNOW ABOUT TREATING FREEDOM OF SPEECH RIGHT in the U.S. >>

Oh did you get your poor baby feelings hurt because Rumsfield just told the truth. I assume you are talking about germany, but you are internet savvy, go read the actual transcript not your filtered press. Rummy was commenting on the countries that are offering support and since your country has said they would offer NO SUPPORT no matter what the UN says, then he just listed the countries that have said this. Unfortunately you, our ally in nato and the UN decided that you would have the same policy as Libya and Cuba. Whatsa' matter, don't you like free speech unless it's &quot;nice&quot; speech or maybe the correct side of the argument.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:00 AM   #59
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

simma down Now! He has the right to say what he wants about the war. We aren't NBA scouts and we debate and comment on the Mavs same thing. Besides he said he would get drunk on his birthday. What is this roast steve nash day. A lot of celebrities get their take on war, but their opinions don't really matter. Neither does nash. He still is a great basketball player, he hasn't smoked weed. He hasn't beaten his girlfriend or anything else evil. He just shared his opinion and that's the bottom line. Don't be so quick to censure people. I don't agree with him. They aren't role models. Take it from Barkley &quot;I am not a role model&quot;

Maybe a miracle will happen and Saddam and his regime will step down. Its happened with other dictators.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:28 AM   #60
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'll leave the thread here until it disappears on its own, but I'm locking it now.