Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
C_Man

C_Man can only hope to improve
Default After prolonged slump, VC playing well going into playoffs

After the all-star break, Vince had a long stretch of shitty games, with the occassional good game mixed in. Overall though, his numbers were very, very poor from the all-star break through April 6th vs. Portland. Since then though, he's played very well, which is a good sign going into the playoffs.

Last 6 games:

29.3 MPG
10.7 PPG on 57.2% TS%
5.0 RPG
2.8 APG
1.2 BPG
0.8 SPG
C_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
4DN1
Banned

4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts

It's VC though. It won't last.
4DN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
redzwestisbest

redzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really nice

Vince didn't have ANYTHING left in the last couple Overtimes last night.

He definitely has played decently the last few games though.

Last edited by redzwestisbest; 04-17-2012 at 07:23 PM.
redzwestisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
C_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DN1 View Post
It's VC though. It won't last.
He's played great for entire seasons in the past. So your statement has no truth.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see him play this well but in a more limited role... I think his bread and butter is in catch-and-shoot plays. He is a knock-down shooter when he has open looks with his feet set. I'm just hoping that he sticks to that and trying to draw fouls. No more off-balance, off-the-dribble shooting. He's probably shooting less than 20% on those shots, outside of the paint.

I love what he could bring to the table but I fear that we'll get 2010 playoffs Vince and not Know Your Role Vince.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
4DN1
Banned

4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Man View Post
He's played great for entire seasons in the past. So your statement has no truth.
No one said anything about his whole career genius
Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
Dark_95

Dark_95 will become famous soon enough

When Vince was in Orlando him and Dwight had a great 2 man game. In the playoffs they used Jameer and Dwight instead and he got unfairly dumped on by the Magic. Vince is at his best driving to the rim. He's better when he doesn't settle.

Last edited by Dark_95; 04-18-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Dark_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
4DN1
Banned

He's obviously turned into too much of an outside shooter and he isn't even that consistent at it
Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I'd love to see him play this well but in a more limited role... I think his bread and butter is in catch-and-shoot plays. He is a knock-down shooter when he has open looks with his feet set. I'm just hoping that he sticks to that and trying to draw fouls. No more off-balance, off-the-dribble shooting. He's probably shooting less than 20% on those shots, outside of the paint.

I love what he could bring to the table but I fear that we'll get 2010 playoffs Vince and not Know Your Role Vince.
That's the thing that annoyed me most when he got to NJ to play alongside JKidd. Kidd would get him great passes in great spots to just catch and shoot. VC had to bounce the ball, or hold it, let the defense catch up, then he'll decide what to do. "SHOOT THE DAMN BALL!!!" The HC there at the time was questioned about it and he said it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, he was frustrated with it too, because they were running the Princeton at the time and the passes should result in catch and shoots.

Agree with the shot he has, he can save a lot of gas by just catching and shooting it. Not as proficient as Ray Allen, but we should be running similar plays utilizing this skill he has.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
adonis
Golden Member

adonis is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Man View Post
Uh, no. I remember him averaging like 9 points on 30% shooting in early 2010 before turning it on late in the season, and then fucking up when it mattered the most for the Magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ6lvChs7To

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42F801aTDLI

The last great season for Vince was 2009.
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
ottawasucks

ottawasucks is a jewel in the roughottawasucks is a jewel in the roughottawasucks is a jewel in the roughottawasucks is a jewel in the roughottawasucks is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
He's obviously turned into too much of an outside shooter and he isn't even that consistent at it
Hey idiot. VC says whattup.

23 points and huge shot after huge shot to keep the mavs in the game down 8 in the most important game of the year.
ottawasucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
4DN1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawasucks View Post
Hey idiot. VC says whattup.

23 points and huge shot after huge shot to keep the mavs in the game down 8 in the most important game of the year.
Hey idiot, I said he was inconsistent, not a bad player.

in·con·sist·ent/ˌinkənˈsistənt/
Adjective:
Not staying the same throughout; having self-contradictory elements.
Acting at variance with one's own principles or former conduct: "parents can be inconsistent".
Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #13
C_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis View Post
Uh, no. I remember him averaging like 9 points on 30% shooting in early 2010 before turning it on late in the season, and then fucking up when it mattered the most for the Magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ6lvChs7To

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42F801aTDLI

The last great season for Vince was 2009.
Hey genius, I NEVER SAID he played well every season. I said there have been entire seasons where he has played well.

You need to work on your reading skills. They are abysmal.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey idiot, I said he was inconsistent, not a bad player.

in·con·sist·ent/ˌinkənˈsistənt/
Adjective:
Not staying the same throughout; having self-contradictory elements.
Acting at variance with one's own principles or former conduct: "parents can be inconsistent".
Semantic rhetoric... The person you quoted never said that you said he was a "bad player" - take your trollish bullsh!t somewhere else.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #15
4DN1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Semantic rhetoric... The person you quoted never said that you said he was a "bad player" - take your trollish bullsh!t somewhere else.
Nah, you're just pretending he didn't imply it so you could post a reply that might show how cool you are.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #16
ottawasucks

ottawasucks is a jewel in the roughottawasucks is a jewel in the roughottawasucks is a jewel in the roughottawasucks is a jewel in the roughottawasucks is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Nah, you're just pretending he didn't imply it so you could post a reply that might show how cool you are.
lol wut
Old 04-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #17
C_Man

last 7 games:

29.4 MPG
12.4 PPG on 56.8% true shooting
4.9 RPG
2.9 APG
1.0 BPG
0.7 SPG
Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not following your rhetoric here.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #19
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Nice gymansium
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Trying to keep this thread on topic ---
I am concerned about Carter's propensity to pull an Antoine Walker and completely kill the flow of the Mavs offense. Sometimes, he's just a complete ball stopper especially when he has a smaller defender on him. When he and West are out there at the same time, you almost wait for craters to appear in the ground from the amount of times the ball is pounded aimlessly into the ground with the shot clock winding down...
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
Trying to keep this thread on topic ---
I am concerned about Carter's propensity to pull an Antoine Walker and completely kill the flow of the Mavs offense. Sometimes, he's just a complete ball stopper especially when he has a smaller defender on him. When he and West are out there at the same time, you almost wait for craters to appear in the ground from the amount of times the ball is pounded aimlessly into the ground with the shot clock winding down...
This ^
a legit concern
I love what West brings defensively, his ability to get to the rim and get hot
shooting wise. But he pounds the rock incessantly regardless. So even when he's on and "getting his" every one else is lacking touches. By "touches" i dont necessarily even mean shots, but just actually touching the basketball
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

another good game by VC...i think he is only a SF now,he can't play SG.

ready for PO!
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
C_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffViggiano View Post
another good game by VC...i think he is only a SF now,he can't play SG.

ready for PO!
Defensively he can't really keep up with quicker guards on the perimeter, so he is generally better playing SF on the defensive end. He is a pretty good defender though within about 16-18 feet of the basket.

Offensively, it makes no difference what position he is officially playing. He's not going to play any different.

What I like is he is finally starting to get to the foul line again.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #24
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

Vince Carter has been playing outstanding recently, hopefully he can carry it into the playoffs.

If he can, Dallas can have a shot at pulling an upset.
He15man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #25
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by He15man View Post
Vince Carter has been playing outstanding recently, hopefully he can carry it into the playoffs.

If he can, Dallas can have a shot at pulling an upset.
I don't know if you can technically "pull an upset" when you're the defending champs, but I definitely agree that Vince is our x-factor going into the playoffs...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see some more V.C. and Dirk pnr. Dirk and Jet is fine but you can't continue to draw from the same well forever.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #27
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

Quote:
I don't know if you can technically "pull an upset" when you're the defending champs, but I definitely agree that Vince is our x-factor going into the playoffs...
True, but from a seeding standpoint it is.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #28
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Did his slump started here?

sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #29
ottawasucks

VC is the x-factor. If he drives and gets to the free throw line and sinks his outside shot he will have a chance to become a legit 3rd option offensively to help take pressure off Jet and Dirk. It'd be like entering Caron Butler into last year's playoff run.

Center is the big question mark though.