Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #241
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Two Nick Calathes tweets:

Had great time in Tenn for my brothers wedding. Just landed in Dallas now
12:26 PM - 25 Jun 2013
https://twitter.com/Nick_Calathes15/...79265399988225

Great seeing my guy @swish41 today
1:38 PM - 26 Jun 13
https://twitter.com/Nick_Calathes15/...59962904113152

Hopefully that means he's in talks to join the team this season.

Last edited by spreedom; 06-26-2013 at 02:52 PM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #242
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
The problem with the way you post is that all you ever do is pick out whatever flaw a player has as a reason not to sign them, as if there are any flawless players in this league.

42% career 3-point shooters don't grow on trees... If there are better options available, then I'd love to hear some.
JJ Redick. Thanks for playing.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #243
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
This. Also I'm not sure how much you need to 'fight' to shoot a 3. If you are draped by a defender and need massive strength just to shoot the ball through the defender's arms, the point guard shouldn't have passed you the ball.

And shooters built like a toothpick? Reggie Miller comes to mind...
Yes cause we know Dirk has had nothing but open shots in his career.

And Reggie Miller had no problem losing guys on the floor so he could get the shot off.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #244
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Two Nick Calathes tweets:

Had great time in Tenn for my brothers wedding. Just landed in Dallas now
12:26 PM - 25 Jun 2013
https://twitter.com/Nick_Calathes15/...79265399988225

Great seeing my guy @swish41 today
1:38 PM - 26 Jun 13
https://twitter.com/Nick_Calathes15/...59962904113152

Hopefully that means he's in talks to join the team this season.
Fingers crossed... Anyone know how much he would count against the cap, or is it entirely dependent on a new contract?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #245
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I really like the idea of Calathes coming over. I don't know exactly what he'll be in the NBA, but he's done very well in Europe.

I haven't gotten to see him much lately, but I think his best fit in the league will be playing beside a smaller, quicker 2 guard. Calathes is 6'6, and I worry about his quickness to stay with some of the water bugs in the league. If he could play with someone and they could cross assignments on defense, it might help.

With that in mind, and in light of all of the Marion rumors, I wonder if going after someone like Monta Ellis wouldn't make some sense. It could make the team more appealing to Dwight Howard, and your group is suddenly a much bigger threat in the West.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #246
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33 View Post
With that in mind, and in light of all of the Marion rumors, I wonder if going after someone like Monta Ellis wouldn't make some sense. It could make the team more appealing to Dwight Howard, and your group is suddenly a much bigger threat in the West.
I keep hearing about using Ellis to entice Howard, but we would only have ~$26m in cap space even if we unloaded Marion and stripped down to the bone - Howard costs a little over $20m, and Ellis just opted out of an $11m contract... The numbers don't add up in our favor.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-26-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #247
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fingers crossed... Anyone know how much he would count against the cap, or is it entirely dependent on a new contract?
He was a second-rounder, so I believe he has no cap holds until he is signed.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #248
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
JJ Redick. Thanks for playing.
I like that you named a guy that will probably get 3-4 times the guaranteed money that Morrow does. In fact, signing Redick outright would probably take up over half of our cap space.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #249
Underdog

Quote:
Several East teams interested in Brandan Wright

link

The Mavericks would like to bring Brandan Wright back to Dallas, but there are several teams interested in the high-flying, high-efficiency backup big man’s services.

According to a source, the Mavs, Atlanta Hawks, Orlando Magic, Detroit Pistons, Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks all expressed interest in Wright during the opening hours of free agency.

Wright, like Brandon Bass and Ian Mahinmi in recent years, was a minimum-salary reclamation project whose value increased significantly during his two-year stint in Dallas. Wright, the eighth overall pick of the 2007 draft, had the league’s 20th best player efficiency rating (21.03) in a limited role last season. The 25-year-old fell out of the rotation for a stretch in the middle of the season, but he finished on a high note, averaging 11.2 points, 5.7 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 24 minutes per game to help the Mavs got 15-8 down the stretch.

The Mavs own Wright’s Early Bird rights, which would allow them to exceed the salary cap to sign him to a multi-year deal worth up to 104.5 percent of the average player salary (more than $5 million per year). The cutoff point for the Mavs’ bidding could be the four-year, $16 million deal Mahinmi signed with the Pacers last season.
I still hope we can bring him back, but I doubt Wright is going to wait around for Howard to make his decision.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #250
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to jump the gun 12 hours into free agency, but rumors seem to indicate that teams are very willing to keep spending under the new CBA.

Be very interesting to see what kind of contract guys in Wright's talent level receive.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 07-01-2013 at 11:12 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #251
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be pretty pissed if we let Wright slip away for nothing

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #252
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

Chandler... why Cuban why?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #253
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I still hope we can bring him back, but I doubt Wright is going to wait around for Howard to make his decision.
He doesn't necessarily have to. There's nothing that prevents he and Dallas from coming to an agreement in principle while Dwight's still mulling his options, provided Dallas has a mechanism lined up for clearing the necessary cap space to sign Dwight without relinquishing early bird rights on Brandan.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #254
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
He doesn't necessarily have to. There's nothing that prevents he and Dallas from coming to an agreement in principle while Dwight's still mulling his options, provided Dallas has a mechanism lined up for clearing the necessary cap space to sign Dwight without relinquishing early bird rights on Brandan.
True, but only if he fits into our Dwight plans... Otherwise, we might have to wait and see.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #255
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
True, but only if he fits into our Dwight plans... Otherwise, we might have to wait and see.
Well, I'm really just talking about what can happen in principle: timing shouldn't have to be an impediment to a deal getting done. Beyond that, though, and just from my own perspective, why wouldn't he fit into the plans with Dwight? Seems like a really nice option to me as first big off the bench behind Dirk/Dwight, and he's the one free agent on the market that Dallas can go over the cap to sign (ignoring the room exception). I just tend to think a crazy high offer from another team should be the only reason Dallas doesn't keep him.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #256
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Vince Carter won me over as a fan this past season. I'd like him back with the Mavericks going forward, but really more than anything, I want to see that guy win a championship to cap off his career be it with the Mavericks or not. I just really grew to like the guy in the past couple of years. Anyhow, someone posted this video of Vince highlights from last year at db.com, and I thought watching it was a nice break from this freeagency madness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYOvN...layer_embedded
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #257
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled View Post
Vince Carter won me over as a fan this past season. I'd like him back with the Mavericks going forward, but really more than anything, I want to see that guy win a championship to cap off his career be it with the Mavericks or not. I just really grew to like the guy in the past couple of years. Anyhow, someone posted this video of Vince highlights from last year at db.com, and I thought watching it was a nice break from this freeagency madness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYOvN...layer_embedded
They said he trimmed down some more and got more lean for next season.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #258
stoble

stoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nice

+1. Hope we see more of him.
stoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #259
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

We should do whatever we can to keep VC here.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #260
some1nw
Golden Member

some1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to all

"Mavs fans, if you saw @MrVinceCarter15 at Dirk's baseball game, you know he looks lean, trim and ready for next season." Earl K Sneed 3 hours ago

Tags
murph's teats are oily, murphy's troll subsidy, smc rulz, wanna be my lover, you wanna be my lover