Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #3721
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed that we're better off with Parsons than we would have been with Stephenson.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2014, 03:24 AM   #3722
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I'm not the only person excited by the play and possibilities of Richard Jefferson.

After watching him the 2.5 years he was with the Spurs, I figured he was about done. Before that, he'd been a consistent 20 point scorer in NJ. Then in San Antonio, the points dropped in half. Still, he started every game from 2010 to 2012. I only watched them when they were playing the Mavs, and he wasn't my focus. I just know I wasn't impressed. But the fact that he started for Pop must mean he knows how to play defense.

They traded him to Golden State, where he didn't start, In 2012, he averaged 10 minutes for 3 points...of course he was playing behind Iggy. Then the next year he starts 78 games in Utah...his scoring is up to 10 in 27 minutes.

It is entirely possible the mediocrity in his record is not his fault. In SA, there just were not many shots left after the big 3 there. He was basically plugged in to Bowen's slot. But he plays every game every year, and he can still get to the rim and elevate. If he can guard the backup 2, I don't think many SG's could handle him. I think a second team with RJ, Harris, Aminu, Smith and Wright could be very hard to score on.

And he has one key factor that propelled the old guys on the championship team. He's been very close to a ring, but denied. In Jersey, he went to the finals his 1st 2 years, but never got close again, even though the Nets, with Kidd at point, always got to at least the 2nd round. Same at SA. Then, when the Warriors got to the playoffs, they gave him 5 minutes a game. You don't think this guy is ready to compete and show people what he can do? Its like the careers of Kidd, Peja and Marion before they came to Dallas. He passed up money and chances to start to come here and take another shot at the ring.

In the OKC preseason game, he hit 3's from both corners, made back door cuts for dunks and defended Duncan pretty well. If he keeps this up, we may not miss Vince so much after all.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #3723
jasonic

jasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to all

I disagree because VC and RJ are different players. Vince could make his own shots and he could make plays with the ball in his hands (the p&r with Brendan was excellent) while Rj is going to be a spot up shooter. VC is a better player but maybe Jefferson is a better fit right now because of the players that they are going to be in our rotation we have 4 ball handlers (Nelson, Ellis, Harris, Felton) and Parsons also who can handle the ball. Basically if RJ can play the role of Marion with slightly worse defense and slightly better offense i would be very pleased.
jasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #3724
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Jefferson is much more Morrow than he is Vince. We will miss Vince, he's much better than RJ, he can handle the ball, make decisions out of pick n roll, he made himself into a much better defender. For the minimum RJ is a steal but he doesn't do what Vince does. He's a spot up shooter at this stage and that is pretty much all.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #3725
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Jefferson is much more Morrow than he is Vince. We will miss Vince, he's much better than RJ, he can handle the ball, make decisions out of pick n roll, he made himself into a much better defender. For the minimum RJ is a steal but he doesn't do what Vince does. He's a spot up shooter at this stage and that is pretty much all.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #3726
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

If most of the shots that Vince was taking is now in Parsons hands, I'm fine with that.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #3727
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

If most of the shots that Vince was taking are now in Parsons hands, I'm fine with that.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 10-12-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #3728
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure on the fence about Ledo being on the big squad and getting minutes. I really like his size and skill set. He's also nice and young and active. Moves the ball well also.

But I can't figure out who's spot and minutes he takes.

The mavs don't have a shooting guard on the team really. If Ledo was a little more efficient I think he would be above jae, Jefferson and aminu ( amino doesn't have an offensive game worth a durn) unfortunately.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #3729
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure on the fence about Ledo being on the big squad and getting minutes. I really like his size and skill set. He's also nice and young and active. Moves the ball well also.

But I can't figure out who's spot and minutes he takes.

The mavs don't have a shooting guard on the team really. If Ledo was a little more efficient I think he would be above jae, Jefferson and aminu ( amino doesn't have an offensive game worth a durn) unfortunately.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-12-2014, 11:01 PM   #3730
dude1394
Guru

I forgot about monta as two guard but it is nice to have a 2 with size.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #3731
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I forgot about monta as two guard but it is nice to have a 2 with size.
I haven't seen Ledo in preseason, but from watching him in summer league and last year my read on Ricky is that he's still a pretty poor defender. I don't think he brings that thing that you're really hoping to get from a SG with size, so even though they don't have the kinds of offensive games you expect from SGs, I still feel more comfortable with RJ and Crowder in the big-SG role than Ricky.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #3732
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

The EPIC season preview podcast with both Followill and Skin on board the entire way.

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/10/...st-episode-90/
Old 10-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #3733
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The EPIC season preview podcast with both Followill and Skin on board the entire way.

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/10/...st-episode-90/
Great podcast. THANK YOU for not doing a bunch of schtick and just sticking to pure basketball talk. I've heard other basketball podcasts and when people try to be cute and funny it ruins it.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #3734
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

The S5 will play on Friday, with Dirk and maybe other guys out on Saturday.

Quote:
DALLAS -- The Mavericks’ starting five will make its debut as a full unit in Friday’s preseason game against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

“We’re going to play our normal group Friday and we’ll go from there,” coach Rick Carlisle said.

It is a certainty that Dirk Nowitzki will not play Saturday against the Indiana Pacers. Nowitzki, who is entering his 17th season, has said that he will not play both ends of back-to-backs during the preseason.

It’d make sense for the Mavs to rest other veterans, such as center Tyson Chandler, shooting guard Monta Ellis and point guards Jameer Nelson and Devin Harris, against the Pacers as well.

For now, the focus is on the starting five building some chemistry after minor injuries to Nowitzki (hip) and Ellis (knee) have prevented the starters from all being on the floor together for game action.

“I’m looking forward to seeing how it works in a game,” Nowitzki said. “We put in a lot of new sets here the last couple of days, so I think it’s going to take a few reps and a few games to get everybody on the same page. But, yeah, it should be a fun game."
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...l-sit-saturday
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #3735
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

DP...

Last edited by Kante; 10-15-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #3736
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
The S5 will play on Friday, with Dirk and maybe other guys out on Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...l-sit-saturday
Going to be the best 20 minutes of this offseason.

Second half will be Yuki Tagoshi, Ricky Ledo, and Charlie V getting destroyed by Cavs starters, but the first half should be really good.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #3737
dude1394
Guru

Now I have to wonder about the wisdom of three games in four nights in preseason. Exactly who was that scheduling genius. It is not like pre-season games aren't already a poor product.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #3738
dude1394
Guru

Now I have to wonder about the wisdom of three games in four nights in preseason. Exactly who was that scheduling genius. It is not like pre-season games aren't already a poor product.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #3739
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Seriously. It's not like they need to fit in a ton of games in such a small period of time.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #3740
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

^^ Agreed. We have three back-to-backs this preseason, meanwhile we have a 5 day break in-between our last game and our next game... makes no sense.
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #3741
sike
The Preacha

can't wait!!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #3742
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Great podcast. THANK YOU for not doing a bunch of schtick and just sticking to pure basketball talk. I've heard other basketball podcasts and when people try to be cute and funny it ruins it.
I thought it was also cute and funny. Oh wells.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #3743
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I thought it was also cute and funny. Oh wells.
Perhaps in your "still talking about basketball" sense...sure. But you didn't derail it with schtick.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:00 AM   #3744
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Weird trivia: Friday we will see Chandler starting opposite Haywood. Probably the last time we saw a previous Mavs center starter start against a current one was against the Miami Heat with Dampier vs. Haywood.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #3745
ffballer

ffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to behold

oops i dont think erica is gonna like this..
Report: Mavericks shopping Gal Mekel and Bernard James
The Dallas Mavericks are looking to open up roster spots by dumping one or two deep bench pieces in point guard Gal Mekel and center Bernard James, according to a report from Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/606790
ffballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #3746
ffballer

ffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to behold

oops i think erica is gonna like this..
Report: Mavericks shopping Gal Mekel and Bernard James
The Dallas Mavericks are looking to open up roster spots by dumping one or two deep bench pieces in point guard Gal Mekel and center Bernard James, according to a report from Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/606790
Old 10-18-2014, 06:07 AM   #3747
ffballer

we might lose all of our rookies, if we stay with charlie v, dumping gal and sarge is leaving our roster at 18

Last edited by ffballer; 10-18-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #3748
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Eric Griffin released.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #3749
spreedom
Diamond Member

Eric Griffin released.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #3750
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

A little sad but not surprising. Dude has a year or two until he's NBA-ready. Love his skillset, but he's still really raw.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #3751
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

A little sad but not surprising. Dude has a year or two until he's NBA-ready. Love his skillset, but he's still really raw.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #3752
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Eric Griffin released.
DLeague will be good for him. I like his game.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #3753
Kante
Diamond Member

Togashi also gone (no surprise). Johnson and Lamb will be next i guess.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #3754
Kante
Diamond Member

Last edited by Kante; 10-21-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #3755
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

I'm watching the Dallas Mavericks preview on NBA TV right now... and the cliffhanger going into the commercial break was, "Can the Mavericks find a way to sneak back into the playoffs?"... dear lord. These media idiots really don't realize how good we are smh
Old 10-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #3756
Vinsanity
Golden Member

I'm watching the Dallas Mavericks preview on NBA TV right now... and the cliffhanger going into the commercial break was, "Can the Mavericks find a way to sneak back into the playoffs?"... dear lord. These media idiots really don't realize how good we are smh
Old 10-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #3757
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Considering that we were a lottery team last year with only 20 wins, I'd say that that's not too far off.

Wait, we made the playoffs and went 49-33?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #3758
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Considering that we were a lottery team last year with only 20 wins, I'd say that that's not too far off.

Wait, we made the playoffs and went 49-33?
Yup, and took the eventual champs to 7 games, upgraded the roster at every position, and got even deeper on the bench... but let's just forget all of that
Old 10-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #3759
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I still can't believe how Carlisle got THAT to almost 50 wins. One bounce that went our way in the last 8 seconds of any number of games and we would have been a 50 win team with freaking "Sleepy Toes" Dalembert, Marion in a walker, and Calderon as our starters and no appreciable bench.

it's an absolute testament to how good Carlisle is. Last season was rough as a fan, but in hindsight, we may have been the single most overperforming team the league has had this decade.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 10-21-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #3760
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I still can't believe how Carlisle got THAT to almost 50 wins. One bounce that went our way in the last 8 seconds of any number of games and we would have been a 50 win team with freaking "Sleepy Toes" Dalembert, Marion in a walker, and Calderon as our starters and no appreciable bench.

it's an absolute testament to how good Carlisle is. Last season was rough as a fan, but in hindsight, we may have been the single most overperforming team the league has had this decade.
I think we could manage to live with Dalembert and Marion if they were still on the team, but Calderon had to go. His putrid defense along side Ellis was never going to work long term. Plus, a guy that takes no risks looks good on paper.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 10-21-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Tags
double post double post