Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #681
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
I didn't think Howard would either...
Howard didn't take less money to go to Houston (in fact, I believe he took slightly more, although I can't recall whether the Mavs offered him a true max or not). And at the time he chose, the Mavs' cupboard was pretty bare other than Dirk. That's not the case anymore.

The Mavs have Rondo's bird rights. They can offer him more money (and more years) than any other team. Completely different situation than with Dwight.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #682
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Howard just took a few 100k below his max i think.

Rockets have no cap space, they would pretty much need do dump Brewerm, Papa, Jones etc. Morey had his chance to get Rondo (the 2015 pelicans pick), looks like he didnt want. He wont go after him in FA and dumping half of the roster for this...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #683
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Howard didn't take less money to go to Houston

The Mavs have Rondo's bird rights. They can offer him more money (and more years) than any other team. Completely different situation than with Dwight.
The Lakers had Howard's bird rights. Just like us with Rondo.

Howard left a year of guaranteed money in LA
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #684
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dwight's year in LA was pretty much a train wreck from the beginning. Still only a month into Rondo's tenure, but I don't see the two situations as being all that comparable. Dwight bizarre pre-free agency saga and eventual free agent decision were the exception, and very far from the rule.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 01-22-2015 at 07:06 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #685
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Dwight's year in LA was pretty much a train wreck from the beginning. Still only a month into Rondo's tenure, but I don't see the two situations as being all that comparable. Dwight bizarre pre-free agency saga and eventual free agent decision were the exception, and very far from the rule.
Agreed. Howard never wanted to be 2nd fiddle to Kobe. Rondo doesn't have to be the man. He just finds the open man.

Very different situations.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 01-22-2015 at 07:07 PM.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #686
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

All I'm saying is that don't count your chickens before their hatched. We have an advantage in resigning rondo but it's not a given
Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #687
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if Kobe's Rotator cuff will allow him to shake Rondo's hand without re-tearing

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-22-2015 at 08:24 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #688
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Ok, I missed that you were talking about the Lakers. That's an even worse comparison than the one I thought you were making. The Lakers had a terrible year, had the wrong coach for Dwight's skills, and put him in exactly the kind of spotlight (and with the kind of teammate in Kobe) that he wants nothing to do with.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #689
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok, I missed that you were talking about the Lakers. That's an even worse comparison than the one I thought you were making. The Lakers had a terrible year, had the wrong coach for Dwight's skills, and put him in exactly the kind of spotlight (and with the kind of teammate in Kobe) that he wants nothing to do with.
I don't at all understand why so many people disliked the D'Antoni fit (Gasol notwithstanding, but there's no reason they couldn't have sold high on him before his injury). I thought the traditional run-and-gun style should have been right up Dwight's alley. Had Nash been healthy (or, in place of that, had Kobe been willing to play any semblance of team ball outside of his vanity triple-double performances) the Lakers could have and should have pick-and-rolled the league to death with Dwight. But alas, he is pretty stubbornly insistent on posting up even though he doesn't finish very well around the rim.

I do agree as a whole that the Dwight and Rondo scenarios don't really compare. With Rondo, the Mavs are simply much better than they were without him, especially defensively, and there really aren't a lot of clear suitors for him that can offer both a max contract and a chance to compete for a championship. Dwight's (correct) decision to leave LA is something of an anomaly in my opinion.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:00 AM   #690
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I don't at all understand why so many people disliked the D'Antoni fit (Gasol notwithstanding, but there's no reason they couldn't have sold high on him before his injury). I thought the traditional run-and-gun style should have been right up Dwight's alley. Had Nash been healthy (or, in place of that, had Kobe been willing to play any semblance of team ball outside of his vanity triple-double performances) the Lakers could have and should have pick-and-rolled the league to death with Dwight. But alas, he is pretty stubbornly insistent on posting up even though he doesn't finish very well around the rim.
Two things. First, I think the real lack of fit was with regard to D'Antoni's defensive philosophy. Dwight is a good enough offensive player, but his real strength has always been defense. He's a complete game changer clogging the lane, and he quite rightfully won three straight DPOYs. But if you give him a coach who, frankly, doesn't care much at all about defense, you're turning Dwight from a dominant overall player into just a good offensive center.

Second, on the offensive side, while I think you're definitely right that Dwight can "run and gun" a bit, asking a guy of his frame to do that for an entire game is a bit much. There's a reason D'Antoni's Suns went with Amare (and even Diaw for a season) at center. It's pretty hard for a full-fledged five to keep up with the "seven seconds or less" philosophy for 35+ minutes a game.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-23-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:01 AM   #691
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC dirk had just had the only "significant" injury of his career the year prior and many on the national media scale said he was done as a star. I think for Howard it came down to Harden plus parsons and hakeem was there apart of the pitch. I believe he and parsons became fast and near immediate friends on top of that. In the preseason game this year there was that video of dwight bear hugging parsons as soon as he saw him. So for dwight it was young talents like harden and parsons with young assets like tjones and motiejunas for further improvement and hakeem vs a Dirk that was old and a "?" as to what he had left and a promise to add something the following year when space opened up. I don't think rondo and howard situations are anything close to similar at all.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #692
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Tim Cato had this gem. Don't know if it's been posted.

Quote:
Rondo w/out headband: 11 points, 9 assists, 6 rebounds, 38% shooting

Rondo w/ headband: 21 points, 7 assists, 8 rebounds, 59% shooting
Old 01-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #693
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

I think one thing to keep in mind is that unless Rondo has just an ungodly playoff run (which I am all for), there aren't going to be alot of teams willing to even come close to a max contract. It's not even a sure bet that we are willing to go the 5/125 that our Bird rights allow us to do. Right now there is a wealth of talent at the PG position in the NBA. It makes the most sense for us to offer him whatever it takes to keep him just in that we have no other way to acquire a PG with his talent any other way. We are going to be pushed to the cap as is just retaining T. Chandler and M. Ellis (albeit bird and early bird rights we do have on those two respectively).

I'm not saying we shouldn't or won't retain Rondo with a max offer. I am a strong believer in his game come playoff time. I just think that all of the contract resigning talk is entirely too premature to be anything more than far reaching speculation at this point.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 01-23-2015 at 01:44 PM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:01 AM   #694
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
FreshJive, your initial assessment of the incident ends up sounding quite reasonable compared to some of the total clowns on DB.com:

http://t.co/CzIGh0GZZg

(Note that there is literally a guy who says he thinks Rondo will be traded before the deadline. Remind me never to go to DB. Ever.)
I apologize for anyone who visited that place on my account.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #695
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Db.com is different, it is quite enjoyable with an active ignore button. The traffic there is about 10x here which makes it interesting. Sometimes in a trainwreck kinda way.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #696
iggymcfly

iggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I do agree as a whole that the Dwight and Rondo scenarios don't really compare. With Rondo, the Mavs are simply much better than they were without him, especially defensively, and there really aren't a lot of clear suitors for him that can offer both a max contract and a chance to compete for a championship. Dwight's (correct) decision to leave LA is something of an anomaly in my opinion.
Don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative.

Mavericks before trade: 19-8, +7 PD
Mavericks since trade: 11-8, +3 PD

LOLOLOLOL @ "simply much better". Rondo's probably improved the defense of the starting unit a little more than he's hurt the offense, but he hasn't come close to replacing the impact of Brandan Wright off the bench. According to 82games.com, Wright was the best player on our team on a per minute basis, and Greg Smith has been the worst by a mile. That's a pretty difficult minute transfer.
iggymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #697
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggymcfly View Post

LOLOLOLOL @ "simply much better". Rondo's probably improved the defense of the starting unit a little more than he's hurt the offense, but he hasn't come close to replacing the impact of Brandan Wright off the bench. According to 82games.com, Wright was the best player on our team on a per minute basis, and Greg Smith has been the worst by a mile. That's a pretty difficult minute transfer.
I'd be more interested in seeing what we're like once we have a true back up center. I'd wager once we have that, the Rondo trade will look better.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #698
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
I'd be more interested in seeing what we're like once we have a true back up center. I'd wager once we have that, the Rondo trade will look better.
Well too bad we gave him up for a known stat padder.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #699
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Just an idiot doesnt see that Rondo isnt the issue here...the issue is Devin and Barea playing like trash and killing our entire bench/2nd unit production.

And yeah Brandan was our great backup center...we would have totally beat the Clippers and grizzlies with him on the roster.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #700
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Just an idiot doesnt see that Rondo isnt the issue here...
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #701
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Rondo 0-7.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #702
sefant77
Guru

Mavsfan 0-1000
Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #703
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
According to 82games.com, Wright was the best player on our team on a per minute basis, and Greg Smith has been the worst by a mile. That's a pretty difficult minute transfer.
Wright was good because we were playing BAD teams. He didn't produce much when we played GOOD teams.

We were losing against the best of the West before the Rondo trade and we still are. Its a work in progress - you can't change the point guard midseason without a LOT of growing pains
Old 01-28-2015, 10:40 PM   #704
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

Blaming losses on Barea and Harris, who play less than 15 minutes each, when Rondo in 35 minutes does not know what scoring a basket is and when he commits almost as many TOs as assists = 0 - ∞
Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 PM   #705
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mavsfan 0-1000
How long until you realize Rondo is the problem?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #706
sefant77
Guru

How long until you realize that Wrights stats were terrible leastern conference inflated and that he wasnt anyway the backup center we need for the WC? Huh?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #707
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
How long until you realize that Wrights stats were terrible leastern conference inflated and that he wasnt anyway the backup center we need for the WC? Huh?
We are a better team with Wright than without.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #708
sefant77
Guru

And Nelson killed our entire defense, so what?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #709
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
And Nelson killed our entire defense, so what?
We have more wrong with our defense than just Nelson. But Rondo single handedly disrupted our offense.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #710
TheDirkKnightRises

TheDirkKnightRises is on a distinguished road

We are having a lot of trouble without Wright and Crowder.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:40 PM   #711
xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I don't know the stats, but as a rockets fan I was thrilled Brandon weight was gone. Rondo doesn't scare me. Even on his really good days. Wright was a pain off the bench.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:42 PM   #712
xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirkKnightRises View Post
We are having a lot of trouble without Wright and Crowder.
Crowder too. Him and weight off the bench worried me. I was actually relieved when those two were moved. Seemed like they always made plays against us.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:46 PM   #713
xtruroyaltyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
We have more wrong with our defense than just Nelson. But Rondo single handedly disrupted our offense.
Nelson actually worried me more than rondo. Bev isn't going to do much offensively so his defense wasn't that big of a deal to me. But his ability to shoot the three and stretch the defense was something that concerned me.

Personally I'd have sat right in the rondo thing. I thought you guys were better with the guys you had just from a match up and depth perspective.

Rondo is a good player, but he just doesn't scare me. No outside shot defense from the pg is a little over rated at times I think. Playmaking is great but that lack of an outside shot is just a killer.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:21 AM   #714
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Nelson actually worried me more than rondo. Bev isn't going to do much offensively so his defense wasn't that big of a deal to me. But his ability to shoot the three and stretch the defense was something that concerned me.
Rondo guards harden. While he obviously can't stop him he's exponentially better at defending than nelson was. So if we still had nelson it would be ellis on Harden which would lead to early foul trouble for ellis which iirc happened in the first rockets meeting. Nelson's shot was pretty broken here and he had a ton of extremely open looks here. He also was prolly twice as bad as harris at the "wtf pull up 3" frequency even though his shooting was abysmal.

As for wright, I'm pretty sure every mavs fan misses him for bench purposes but last year, in the playoffs vs a good front court in splitter/duncan we had to go to dejuan blair cuz wright got abused almost comically defensively and rebounding. When blair was suspended it was noted as a "key" factor in the loss the following game. When ur 3rd center is a key in a loss, not the starting or primary backup big... u know something is terribly wrong. Wright has always been a beast in PER and whatever stat there is but he might be a better regular season player than post season when the game is slowed down.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #715
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

When you pick up a supposed max like, all star, super duper high iq point guard for two bench players your offense should not go in the toilet. Unless said point guard is not nearly what he is cracked up to be.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #716
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
When you pick up a supposed max like, all star, super duper high iq point guard for two bench players your offense should not go in the toilet. Unless said point guard is not nearly what he is cracked up to be.
Or unless it requires a complete revamping of a system and you spend a month and half long stretch where you can't practice due to scheduling.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #717
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Or unless it requires a complete revamping of a system and you spend a month and half long stretch where you can't practice due to scheduling.
You do realize what you saying. Rondo is so inflexible and so specialized that even on a team with 10+ year veterans the team has to almost completely overhaul the offense because this point guard cannot play it straight.

I know im being harsh but this is a guy some folks think he is actually a max player but his style of play is so rigid that our offense has just been blown up. Ive yet to see the bbiq that has been so highly touted.

Do we think we would be having nearly this trouble with any of the other point guards in the west or east? I dont know about the east as i am not familiar but i am pretty sure any one from the west would be an order of magnitude better.

Last edited by dude1394; 01-29-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #718
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
You do realize what you saying. Rondo is so inflexible and so specialized that even on a team with 10+ year veterans the team has to almost completely overhaul the offense because this point guard cannot play it straight.

I know im being harsh but this is a guy some folks think he is actually a max player but his style of play is so rigid that our offense has just been blown up. Ive het to see the bbiq that has been so highly touted.

Do we think we would be having nearly this trouble with any of the other point guards in the west or east? I dont know about the east as i am not familiar but i am pretty sure any one from the west would be an order of magnitude better.
Bingo. As Dirk and Parsons have said in interviews that they've gone back to basic plays and even those aren't working.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #719
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

There sure is still a lot to be figured out involving Rondo. Ideally, he somehow turns into a Jason Kidd+ that is able to finish at the rim.

The P&R between Kidd and Dirk, which admittedly used to happen a lot less than Terry/Dirk, was much more effective despite Rondo being the superior player it would seem.

And I might reiterate that I still like the 2/5 high P&R between Monta and Chandler in the starting unit. Rondo's shooting deficiencies can be hidden because he can always hockey assist Dirk in the corner on the weak side or fake and drive to the basket without a center that protects the paint.

But that's already a workaround, you don't want Dirk just to spot up all the time.

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-29-2015 at 10:08 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #720
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
There sure is still a lot to be figured out involving Rondo. Ideally, he somehow turns into a Jason Kidd+ that is able to finish at the rim.

The P&R between Kidd and Dirk, which admittedly used to happen a lot less than Terry/Dirk, was much more effective despite Rondo being the superior player it would seem.

And I might reiterate that I still like the 2/5 high P&R between Monta and Chandler in the starting unit. Rondo's shooting deficiencies can be hidden because he can always hockey assist Dirk in the corner on the weak side or fake and drive to the basket without a center that protects the paint.

But that's already a workaround, you don't want Dirk just to spot up all the time.
The problem is that every single play we learned no longer works for a guy who can't shoot OR drive on a team that also has no sharpshooters. Kidd at least could shoot the three, even though he was terrified of driving and we had Terry who could hit a cold-hearted three as the pop-out guy.

Pick and roll? Teams just double the roll guy and beg Rondo to shoot.
Pick and pop? Rondo isn't aggressive driving and Rondo doesn't seem to be very good making a pass to the mid-range. It's a dump down or a kick out, and he hasn't even been good at that.
Ellis drives are effective but don't even include Rondo. Plus, teams don't need to cheat off of the center spot anymore, because they can pack the paint without cheating off of Chandler resulting in fewer oops.
Screen/double screen? Teams just go under and beg Rondo to shoot.

For both of those, we don't have the set shooters to make either of those work. Teams just swarm the paint making all of our plays useless. Parsons is pretty good at 37%. Dirk isn't too far behind at 36%, but doesn't usually hang out there unless he's trailing. After that, we're depending on Devin Harris at 35%. Those are all decent numbers but none of them are sharpshooters who absolutely need to be guarded.

Looks like a roster problem to me made worse by Ricks hands-off approach on offense. We can't run any of our old plays. We can't be run-and-gun/quick strike because we can't rebound. We can't pound it inside, because we don't have a post center. We're not an inside-out team. We're not even an outside-in team either. We're an outside-out team with no go-to play with no role for Rondo.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-29-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Tags
goat offense, jameer nelson goat