Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 05:52 AM   #1
Thukydides

Thukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to all
Default RC is a genius

Guys, that´s my first thread ever: I just had to express my appreciation for the work RC and his stuff have done:

If this keeps working from now on, you really gotta had it to RC and his stuff.

Just look at the offense. It´s completely different to the pre-Rondo offense:
- posting-up guards (Rondo, Ellis)
- using Ellis as a spot-up guy (which he did really well last night)
- letting Parsons handling the ball a lot (that´s awesome)
- way less alley-oop plays (unless Tyson is rolling to the rim in the early offense) -> this just wasn´t working with our post-Rondo floor-spacing; this really hurts Devin´s production though
- more spot-ups less Isos for Dirk (great because he really wasn´t doing well on his post-isolations
- letting Rondo create offense out of the corner (I noticed that a few times last night and I don´t really get why that is working)
- having Stoudemire as a post-up big
- letting Rondo handle parts of the play-calling

you certainly could continue that list. And here´s what I love about it:
in a very short period of time RC was able to completely reconstructure the offense. How many coaches do we have in this league, who could do this?

I really hope this wasn´t a short-term offensive eruption, but I don´t think so.

And just watch last nights game again and keep an eye on what plays Brooks and RC ran after time-outs: it´s really an unbelieveable difference.. even though Mona missed that wide-open lay up in the fourth and Jefferson had a wide open three he couldn´t make, I´m totally sure that RC gives us at least 8 points a game by calling great out-of-timeout plays

Isn´t that amazing? I know RC is already very much appreciated around here, but I just wanted to highlight that again.

Last edited by Thukydides; 03-17-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Thukydides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

It's been said before, but Rick Carlisle is easily this team's greatest asset these days.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
MaverickGold

MaverickGold is a glorious beacon of lightMaverickGold is a glorious beacon of lightMaverickGold is a glorious beacon of lightMaverickGold is a glorious beacon of lightMaverickGold is a glorious beacon of lightMaverickGold is a glorious beacon of lightMaverickGold is a glorious beacon of light

Great post. The amount of changes made really is remarkable.
MaverickGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

That are more changes and tricks than Brooks made in over five years in OKC
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I hate when I hear general basketball fans say Carlisle is underrated anytime I discuss Mavs. RC works gymnastics on any roster he's given. He's top 3 coach in the league. And probably just behind Pop.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I hate when I hear general basketball fans say Carlisle is underrated anytime I discuss Mavs. RC works gymnastics on any roster he's given. He's top 3 coach in the league. And probably just behind Pop.
Don't you mean overrated? Because, yeah, the average basketball fan definitely has no clue when it comes to Carlisle's ability as a coach... And I agree that the only coach you could say is better would be Pop.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

When you consider the constant roster turnover (which Popovich hasn't been forced to deal with, really) I might even have Carlisle at #1 on my list, tbh.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
When you consider the constant roster turnover (which Popovich hasn't been forced to deal with, really) I might even have Carlisle at #1 on my list, tbh.
That's a tough, tough sell, but I appreciate the sentiment.

I don't think as much of Doc Rivers as I used to (not to say he's bad), so for me, Rick is far and away the league's second-best coach. Thibs runs his players into the ground too much to warrant my consideration, and I'm not sure who else you could even put on the list--though I will say that Spo is better than many people think he is.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 03-19-2015 at 07:32 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #9
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

my current top 5 NBA coaches
Popovich - Spurs
Carlisle - Mavs
Budenholzer - Hawks
Casey - Raptors
Doc - Clippers
need a few more years exp. for Kerr @ GSW
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Buds and Brad Stevens are in my top 5, for sure.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote