Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default PGT: We tried

It's always Parsons, Dirk, Ellis, and JJB that are cold and when they are, we lose. Simple as that.

This team has a LONG way to go to be competitive. Lots of miscommunications. Lots of defensive lapses. Lots of episodes of little energy. No confidence/confident body language

Amare was pretty steamed at least. He probably could have helped us if he wasn't ejected, but I'm glad someone complains to the refs still.

1-3 against the Grizz this year
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

This idea that the Grizzlies are a tough, grind it out team is the biggest misconception in sports. All they do is either foul you and get away with it somehow, or they flop and the refs fall for it somehow. And I'm not just saying that because of this game... it's always like that vs the Grizzlies. I don't know how the NBA lets them get away with it but it's sad.
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
This idea that the Grizzlies are a tough, grind it out team is the biggest misconception in sports. All they do is either foul you and get away with it somehow, or they flop and the refs fall for it somehow. And I'm not just saying that because of this game... it's always like that vs the Grizzlies. I don't know how the NBA lets them get away with it but it's sad.
They have a style. It's like WWF where you have to develop a style.

Mavs have no identity so they don't get any special treatment. Rockets get the FTs on every drive. Memphis is allowed to wrestle without a call. What is our identity?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute
Default PGT: We tried

Quote:
Lmao yeah, it's seriously sad how refs let media narrative get in the way of their jobs

Anyway, we sucked to start the third and the refs made sure to put the final nail in the coffin. On to the next...

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.

Last edited by Skywalker; 03-21-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #6
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
They have a style. It's like WWF where you have to develop a style.

Mavs have no identity so they don't get any special treatment. Rockets get the FTs on every drive. Memphis is allowed to wrestle without a call. What is our identity?
Pretty much this. If you get a rep for being a physical team you tend to get away with a crap load more than a team who has the rep of being average to below average on defense like the mavs. It's just much much worse in basketball compared to other sports since refs can influence so much of a NBA game.

As to the game, the refs were bad but honestly the way we played I feel like we would have found a way to lose. 14 team assists to 17 team turnovers. We allowed Memphis to dictate how we played. Going to lose almost every time you do that. Rondo shooting better than Dirk, Ellis, and Parsons certainly doesn't help either. If you want some sunshine blown up your skirts we actually won the boards.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:56 PM   #7
Igor1988

Igor1988 will become famous soon enough

when you start third quarter like this, you must be happy to see (-11) as final score.
OMG we finally "outrebounded" MEM !
Igor1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote board:

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2015/03/...mphis-game-70/
Old 03-21-2015, 01:31 AM   #9
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

There's your preview playoffs. Lol at anyone thinking we could bully Memphis in a series and win. This team is too weak.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:53 AM   #10
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think people realize just how bad nba refs are at their jobs. They are so much worse at their jobs compared to other sports it's just sad. And there is a simple solution to a large part of it. They need more athletic refs. This is going to sound super discriminatory and if you worded it this way you'd get used but they need to fire every single ref over the age of 55.(the simple solution is require every ref to meet certain physical requirements) certain refs just aren't good enough athletes to get where they should be to see things correctly. Because of that they to by what they think is most likely to happen/ have happened.

On a side note one of the things Iv found most odd about bball refs is that everyone who's ever played basketball knows the difference between the sound that skin on skin makes and the sound that skin on ball makes. Refs apparently don't. I used to think maybe you couldn't hear it in loud arenas but Iv sat court side and you can absolutely hear the skin slap sound.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:32 AM   #11
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

we played very slow - usually attempt in the mid-80's for shots attempted
tonight - 76. At least we won the rebounding 41/38.

would like to know a little more about Dirk's quote: On why they still look a little lost on defense:
“I don’t know, I guess we just have to communicate more, execute the game plan. A veteran team, we do switch coverages during the game some. We’ve just got to all be on the same page, talk it out, and really execute the game plan. Whatever we say in the timeout, we’ve got to go out and execute.”
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:12 AM   #12
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Missed it. Good thing I did.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #13
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
we played very slow - usually attempt in the mid-80's for shots attempted
tonight - 76. At least we won the rebounding 41/38.

would like to know a little more about Dirk's quote: On why they still look a little lost on defense:
“I don’t know, I guess we just have to communicate more, execute the game plan. A veteran team, we do switch coverages during the game some. We’ve just got to all be on the same page, talk it out, and really execute the game plan. Whatever we say in the timeout, we’ve got to go out and execute.”
Monta, JJB, Devin and Parsons look lost on defense. Esp Monta and JJB.

Dunno why we did not play Jefferson instead of small ball.

Last edited by markus1234; 03-21-2015 at 09:05 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #14
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Team can't keep see sawing between offense and defense. The defense was great there for a while but the offense sucked. Now the offense has gotten back on track and the defense is back to almost pre rondo trade bad the past few games.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 03-21-2015 at 09:44 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

At first, I thought the thread read "We tired". That would have been accurate.
The team looked tired out there.
Was at the game, but left after the third because there were a bunch of obnoxious Grizzlies fans around me making a difficult to watch game even more difficult.

Yeah, the officials were awful. They didn't just blow calls. They seemed to pick Mavericks momentum instants to blow them. I felt like Amar'e was asking for a second technical. He was frustrated. The fans were too.

With a few minutes left in the first half, I was thinking: We should be up 15-20 points right now and would be if we had hit good looks that did not go down. Then the end of quarter 2 and quarter 3 happened. Just gross.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #16
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Monta, JJB, Devin and Parsons look lost on defense. Esp Monta and JJB.

Dunno why we did not play Jefferson instead of small ball.
Weird that they chose to run everything through Randolph. With much success.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #17
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately Tyson can't stop Randolph, but that was not the reason why we looked so helpless.

They killed us in the backcourt.

Beno Udrih, Vince Carter, Mike Conley and Tony Allen made the difference.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Hated this loss.

Mavs just looked so helpless and clueless for long stretches.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #19
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't the Mavs ever look competent in a loss to a top team. I understand losing because it's a brutal schedule and you aren't winning them all but it's generally a complete slaughter. That's what bothers me most about these losses to top WC teams.

Last edited by Melonhead; 03-21-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #20
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Why can't the Mavs ever look competent in a loss to a top team. I understand losing because it's a brutal schedule and you aren't winning them all but it's generally a complete slaughter. That's what bothers me most about these losses to top WC teams.
Sure, but if they were constantly losing by 1-2 points to top WC teams, you'd just be saying, "Why can't the Mavs ever close out a game against a good team?"

The Mavs have a handful of bad losses this year, but other than the Cavs loss, nothing too outrageous. Let's not get carried away with "complete slaughter" narratives.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #21
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Sure, but if they were constantly losing by 1-2 points to top WC teams, you'd just be saying, "Why can't the Mavs ever close out a game against a good team?"

The Mavs have a handful of bad losses this year, but other than the Cavs loss, nothing too outrageous. Let's not get carried away with "complete slaughter" narratives.
I would be much more inclined to believe in this team if they were competing with the top teams each meeting. Complete slaughter is hyperbole, but I can think of at least a dozen games where Mavs get beaten fairly easy to playoff teams.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:08 AM   #22
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would be much more inclined to believe in this team if they were competing with the top teams each meeting. Complete slaughter is hyperbole, but I can think of at least a dozen games where Mavs get beaten fairly easy to playoff teams.
I too would feel better if we looked more competitive against the better teams. I'm just so used to mavs teams, when struggling, throwing it down low to 41 and he will carry us till others get going. The ultimate security blanket if you will. Unless he is being saved for playoffs it really looks like that option is extremely limited due to father time. This flow offense that RC has modeled off of his days playing with celtics and all was great when we had a dominant go-to guy for when things broke down and to mask some deficiencies with the team. If monta is truly our new go-to guy then this team goes as far as he takes us... and nights like the one against memphis, where he pretty much was non existent till very very late, don't instill much confidence in me. I'm still holding out hope that he and/or dirk is preserving their body for playoffs and will go into attack mode and in some instances even seek contact for ft's. Call it denial but I'll hold out hope till we are eliminated... in which case I reserve the right to assume a fetal position and stop shaving for a few weeks.

I'm not blaming monta because I don't expect him to do what an all time great has been doing. Between this version of Dirk and monta and parsons and to a lesser extent even rondo, someone(or a group of someones) has to step up every night and we just aren't seeing that right now on a consistent level vs the good teams unfortunately.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #23
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

The only identity we have is get Dirk the ball on a possible mis-match and hope he scores or gets fouled. He has respect from refs, but he isn't fighting for positions and he isn't being agressive. Without him doing what he does, causing doubles and mismatches... we have no identity, it's just who's gonna get hot tonight lottery.

I would be running a lot more plays for Parsons. Idk why it's taken so long to get him more involved but we're running out of time. The coaching staff needs to figure it out.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:47 PM   #24
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Well 13 now. Final score says 6pt suns loss but mavs do their best to get down 20 and try the rest of the game to fight back.