Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-10-2003, 03:06 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

..i'm sure most do..what do you do?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2003, 03:07 PM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

This thread-gay or not gay? Answer: Semi-gay.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 03:16 PM   #3
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

i work out.
what do you mean "what do you do"?
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 03:19 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

what type of work out..lift weights..run.

it's probably semi dooby..but, oh well
Old 03-10-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

i lift weights.
i'll start running in a couple of monthes when i'll try to get into army shape and get into an Elite unite.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:03 PM   #6
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I slacked off a lot last year, but I'm getting back into the routine (except for last week, but going out 3 nights has got to count for a workout of some sort [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]).

36 mins on the life cycle
various weights
sometimes treadmill
Old 03-10-2003, 04:07 PM   #7
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I just started a couple weeks ago. I slowly gained a lot of weight after I graduated from college. I'm trying to get back to my high school weight. If thats possible.

I've been lifting, and trying to eat right. The watching party last Friday didn't help with that.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:09 PM   #8
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I'm a stairmaster and treadmill person. However, I added a Body Pump class today.

I suggest a lot of weights for you Murph. It may take years, but you could get a body like Najera. Then I would like you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:15 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

that's ok southern, you don't have to like me

..i just started running about a month ago or so..not even that long. but, i'm running 6 days a week or so.
most days, i try to run 3 miles before i go to work and 2-3 when i get off..sometimes my muscles are a litle too tired and i slack off a bit.

but, i'm trying to get around my high school weight of 185..plus, i plan on playing some baseball and basketball this summer and fall.

12 pounds down in 3 weeks and .. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ?? more to go
Old 03-10-2003, 04:28 PM   #10
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, the winter months always seem to put a few pounds on me...

but i started lifting 2-3 times a week again and do the elliptical machine thing as well (man is that heaven on the knees... i HATE running).

now that it is getting nicer outside, it's time to start playing ball again (there are really no indoor places in nashville to play on a weekly basis... it's kind of sad. but there's an outside court near my office that i hit after work. i love it).

hopefully i'll lose that winter weight.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:39 PM   #11
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

I run, run, run. It is totally cathartic. I am totally addicted.

I figure we've got only about a month until we're full-on into Dallas' infamous shorts/tank top/swimsuit weather. Truly scary.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

yeah, i played b'ball for a couple of hours yesterday..
always fun to get out there and lace up the hi-tops

the running thing, well, not much burns calories quicker..that's why i do it
Old 03-10-2003, 04:51 PM   #13
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i can run when i play ball til the sun goes down, but i can't just run around... too boring.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:53 PM   #14
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i work out 5-6 days a week.

i usually make a feeble attempt at playing basketball for about an hour or so just to work up a sweat. then i'll go lift for 30-45 minutes afterwards.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:00 PM   #15
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Totally agrees with BBL. I have to be doing something constantly. If its not working than its cleaning. When that is done than its onto sports.

You have to have that certain mindset to run, and I just don't have it. Something about the total quietness and all the thinking that you do.

Now, put me on a softball field and I literally can run/play all day. *played 13 games in a row once. Is it braggin, ya damn right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] *

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:12 PM   #16
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm lazy. I did play basketball each of the last two weekends (before the last) and my lungs didn't know what to do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] gotta get out of it and get back to doing stuff. I need a coach.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:18 PM   #17
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I try to get up and play basketball at 5:30 in the morning three times a week. The game has a pretty good group involved, but it's just to easy to go back to sleep after the alarm goes off, because of the early hours involved...
Old 03-10-2003, 05:25 PM   #18
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

where does everyone play ball at?

i usually play at the 24 hour fitness off 75 and royal.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:29 PM   #19
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I play at All Saints Catholic church three times a week (it is mostly guys in their 20's and 30's), and then during the Spring and Summer I try to find some good outdoor games...

While I was in Indiana until this Summer, it was basketball paradise. You could find games at they Y, the HPER (an 8 full court fieldhouse), the SRSC (6 more courts), and many outdoor games...

Dallas just isn't as basketball friendly (at least North Dallas)...
Old 03-10-2003, 05:35 PM   #20
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I need a place to play but I'm cheap. Growing up in Hamilton spoiled me. I had a key to the HS gym, even a couple years after I graduated. Basketball is like air; I shouldn't have to pay for it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2003, 05:40 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

growing up in baird, the H.S. gym wasn't locked
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2003, 05:47 PM   #22
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

<< I play at All Saints Catholic church three times a week (it is mostly guys in their 20's and 30's), and then during the Spring and Summer I try to find some good outdoor games.... >>

Hey evilmav!

I used to play basketball at All Saints during the summers... fond memories of getting my butt kicked on the court there.

I work out at Baylor/Tom Landry, and the Mavs used to practice there before AAC was finished. If I was sneaky, I could watch them practice... sigh.

And I don't want to hear any complaining from you guys-- I tried to sign up for the women's basketball league at my gym, and they only had two other women register. I don't have anyone to play against!
Old 03-10-2003, 05:51 PM   #23
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Hahaha S&amp;D... That's really funny... were you playing in the day, or did you actually become aquainted with the morning crew? I have been playing off and on at that morning game for years. That is where I first really learned to play back in high school ...
Old 03-10-2003, 05:51 PM   #24
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

I have a personal trainer once a week and go to gym at least one other day. Hopefully two, but not always. I do boxing, mainly and a lot of free weights.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:54 PM   #25
sturm und drang
Golden Member

I played during the day-- this was years ago, before I up and went to college. It's right down the street from where I lived at the time, and was a great place for basketball.

Contrary to Catholic doctrine, however, they (about 99% men) took no mercy on me. This is what happens to girls who think they can play with guys simply because they're 5'9&quot;. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2003, 05:58 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

i didn't know we were supposed to take mercy on girls regardless
Old 03-10-2003, 06:00 PM   #27
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Yup, I remember being pummeled by guys who outweighed me by a hundred pounds back in high school. I guess that is just what I got for thinking I could battle the old, experienced big men just because I was tall[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. There's no better way to learn the game though. I think a lot of the best female BBall players are ones who cut their teeth fighting to compete with guys...
Old 03-10-2003, 06:09 PM   #28
sturm und drang
Golden Member

Yes, agreed that the best way-- maybe the only way-- to improve dramatically is to play against those far superior to you; in my case, that was these guys. Unfortunately, though, I eventually decided I was just a &quot;soft white girl&quot;...

And the guys shouldn't have taken mercy on me; I didn't want them to! After a few rough games, though, I'd kind of changed my mind on that point... Let's just say that I should've stuck to games of HORSE.

Old 03-10-2003, 06:09 PM   #29
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

<< And I don't want to hear any complaining from you guys-- I tried to sign up for the women's basketball league at my gym, and they only had two other women register. I don't have anyone to play against! >>

Sounds like a good game of 21, to me.

<< i didn't know we were supposed to take mercy on girls regardless >>

Only if you're a manly man, murph, so I'm not surprised that you didn't know [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2003, 06:14 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

i think we've had a mod that did this before...take shots at members and then hide behind the smiley face..saying they were only joking
Old 03-10-2003, 06:17 PM   #31
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

hehe.. wasn't me, was it?

dish it, take it. that's how we roll. you know i'm playin.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:18 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

yeah, i know..
and i'm sure you know i'm just giving you a hard time
Old 03-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #33
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Giving Rhylan a hard time=semi-gay.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:34 PM   #34
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

there is nothing rock'n'roll about working out.
the thought has never even entered my mind. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:19 AM   #35
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

man, if there were a place around here to play every morning, i'd be up at 4 AM! but basketball is actually kind of scarce as far as pick-up goes.

ah, the old girls vs. guys thing. there used to be a couple girls back home that would play some pickup every once in a while. One ended up going to LSU. she was kinda tall, but i felt bad blocking her shot. then she was like, &quot;don't take it easy on me. how else am i going to get better.&quot; i respected that, so i continued to block her shot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2003, 10:39 AM   #36
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

The last time I played a game, I nearly got beat up by a guy with a serious temper. I shoot hoops now and then, but it doesn't constitue much of a workout.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:47 PM   #37
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

Until a couple of months ago I used to work out religiously we got an awesome weightroom here. I have completely given up on everything lately including running. My old roomate who managed the GNC moved away last summer ( so all the free crack-cocaine weight builder supplies are nearly gone). Until I feel a significant difference I will continue my boycott of all serious physical activity I highly recomend it.

The only drawbacks to this is that my little brother wrestles in college and every time I see him he gets a little bit more froggy, but might as well voluntarily relinquish the beatings, its just to damn tough anymore to keep up.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote