Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #41
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Not suggesting a trade....just a hypothetical question to see what Barnes is worth to other teams.
but why?

A basketball version of Gift of the Magi?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-22-2016 at 10:16 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2016, 03:36 AM   #42
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Not suggesting a trade....just a hypothetical question to see what Barnes is worth to other teams.
You were rather specific by saying draft picks. Not every NBA team has the ability to show through draft picks how much they would value Barnes. There is no need to lie to anyone that you would at least entertain the idea if the offer was made. Something that many here would not be interested of even hearing about.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #43
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't think anybody would give up a top 10 pick for him. I know I wouldn't. He is 24, with a low ceiling, can't make the three ball consistently, can't get to the line, he screams second option. That's not a top 10 pick in a strong draft.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 12-23-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:47 AM   #44
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
I don't think anybody would give up a top 10 pick for him. I know I wouldn't. He is 24, with a low ceiling, can't make the three ball consistently, can't get to the line, he screams second option. That's not a top 10 pick in a strong draft.
Yeah, the premise of the question is to see what his value would be to other teams in terms of draft pick value. I don't see a team giving up a top 10 pick either but Cuban would be stupid to not entertain offers. I'm not sure other teams would value him the same as we do though. Yes, he is a tremendous bright spot for us this year but I still see him as a tier 3 combo 3/4 who would be a nice 2nd option and a tier 2 ceiling.

I understand why others might consider Barnes untouchable based on his current play but unfortunately the Mavs will most likely get worse (if that is even possible) before they get better and Barnes is just starting his prime. The reality is that we'll probably be in the lotto at least 4 more years before we become relevant again and Barnes will be pushing 30 and starting to exit his prime.
Other teams like Boston and Lakers are a few years ahead of us in the rebuild process so who knows what they might offer to get a nice young 24yo entering his prime who might be more suited for their situation and goals instead of a 19 yo that would take several years to develop.

So IDK.....rebuilding from scratch with Fultz/Jackson wouldn't exactly be demoralizing to me if the opportunity happened to presented itself.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-23-2016 at 07:58 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #45
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Trading Barnes would be a fantastic way to ensure we NEVER sign a FA again.
What is your basis for that opinion? Players get traded all the time. One of the most frequent mantras in the NBA is "this is business". Every player understands this.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #46
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Other teams like Boston and Lakers are a few years ahead of us in the rebuild process so who knows what they might offer to get a nice young 24yo entering his prime who might be more suited for their situation and goals instead of a 19 yo that would take several years to develop.

I do not get the constant Boston hype. Excluding Bradly, how many minutes are the players getting that they drafted? They have retooled. I do not even consider them as having rebuilt something. They simply stayed relevant. They still need that star element and much of it will depend on how they use Brooklyn's pick this season.

I do not consider anyone ahead unless they have real number 1 option. Yes, Boston has Horford, who they did not draft, but his prime is reaching end year. It would not surprise me if in few years his contract actually looks bad. This will not matter much if Boston gets lucky in the draft though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
What is your basis for that opinion? Players get traded all the time. One of the most frequent mantras in the NBA is "this is business". Every player understands this.

I think that this was referenced towards marquee FA players. I am not claiming that Barnes is that, but you have to consider that many number 2 and even 3 options like to consider themselves as marquee, star players. Why would they include Mavericks in their road trips when they could look that Mavs traded their celebrated player in the first year of his contract?

Look at Nets, nobody even entertains the idea of signing there, even though they have not done similar thing. Nobody includes Kings or Philly. Even big market like Knicks have to resort to trades.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #47
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear god this thread has become a train wreck
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #48
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Funny thing is that Barnes was 8-8 from the line in this game because the refs finally blew that little silver toy of theirs.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote