Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #38
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Without the least hint of sour grapes, I'm nowhere near sold on Smith yet. I think he's been frustrating to watch, particularly with the over-dribbling and some poor shooting and shot-selection. Nor am I as sold on his vision (factor of height?), or his playmaking ability as a lot of voices here seem to be. The triple-double against Westbrook and the Thunder were nice, and can't really complain about the banked-3 for the win. But will be looking to see if this was an anomaly, or if he can produce consistently near this level, and if he registers consistently on the Horry-meter when the opportunity presents.

He certainly has time and opportunity to learn though, but for me, he's just not the natural he's made out to be. If he's the face of the Mavericks once Dirk leaves, my long-held interest in the Mavericks will have a short life.
I respectfully disagree. I think Smith has already shown more natural ability than any player the Mavs have drafted since Dirk. I think a lot of the issues you bring up can be chalked up to a young guy used to being the focal point learning to playing within himself and within an offense.

That being said, I don't know how you can watch these games and say Smith wasn't made to play point in the league. I've watched 75-80% of Smith's floor time in the NBA live and am constantly surprised by how organically he runs the offense on-ball and gets guys open looks. He relentlessly attacks (top-20 in the league in drives per game) and has displayed the ability to pass out, pull up, and finish. He changes our whole offensive dynamic, evidenced by the fact that we're 1 and 7 without him, and 12 - 18 with him.

Last edited by tap2390; 01-02-2018 at 09:11 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote