Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
Where’s Brunson? Unless he’s traded I’d say it’s very likely he makes the team.
Second rounders have no contract obligations. We can put him (as well as Kosta and Spalding) in Europe, ignore them, or sign them to minimum contracts which won’t impact the cap. Lots of moving pieces, but cap space really isn't an issue. We may just have to go to or above the cap before we sign any of our second rounders.

The only real issue with Brunson is room on the roster and I think they’ll make room for him on the 12 man roster. May walk away from Collinsworth and trade Barea or Yogi.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-26-2018 at 09:35 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Second rounders have no contract obligations. We can put him (as well as Kosta and Spaulding) in Europe, ignore him, or sign him to a minimum contract which won’t impact the cap.

The only real issue with Brunson is room on the roster and I think they’ll make room for him on the 12 man roster.

Oh ok. Do you think they are factoring in 2021 free agency into any contract they sign or trade for? That’s when Giannis is free and it’s no secret they regret trading away from him in the draft.
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
Oh ok. Do you think they are factoring in 2021 free agency into any contract they sign or trade for? That’s when Giannis is free and it’s no secret they regret trading away from him in the draft.
I'd be surprised if the FO offered more than 3 years to anyone who isn't an All-Star... But even if they did, we have Wes coming off the books next summer and Barnes expiring the summer after that... There's plenty of time to free up space for 2021.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-26-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Second rounders have no contract obligations. We can put him (as well as Kosta and Spalding) in Europe, ignore them, or sign them to minimum contracts which won’t impact the cap. Lots of moving pieces, but cap space really isn't an issue. We may just have to go to or above the cap before we sign any of our second rounders.

The only real issue with Brunson is room on the roster and I think they’ll make room for him on the 12 man roster. May walk away from Collinsworth and trade Barea or Yogi.
Yep. That's why they drafted him. He probably is an upgrade currently for either. I like JJB and Yogi, but you have to make decisions like this to get better.

The broader question, discussed elsewhere, is whether picking Brunson over bigger positions of need was worth it. Time will tell.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Yep. That's why they drafted him. He probably is an upgrade currently for either. I like JJB and Yogi, but you have to make decisions like this to get better.

The broader question, discussed elsewhere, is whether picking Brunson over bigger positions of need was worth it. Time will tell.
His minimum would be around 900k and wouldn't count against the cap, but a couple of people on Twitter are saying that we're trying to be generous and offering him something like a first-rounder salary of between 1.5m to 3.0m for his first year. That WOULD count against the cap as all non-minimum deals do.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His minimum would be around 900k and wouldn't count against the cap, but a couple of people on Twitter are saying that we're trying to be generous and offering him something like a first-rounder salary of between 1.5m to 3.0m for his first year. That WOULD count against the cap as all non-minimum deals do.
So as to get him signed to a longer term deal, 3 or 4 years?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Well if I put my tin foil hat on for just a moment... the mcbuckets thing is a little interesting because of the timing. It's either because of something that has changed, like the clippers trade for Gortat... or the fact that it's so close to the start of FA. And the only reason to do this imo is to make it easier to pursue a RFA. So imo this is either a move for Capela or Jordan.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Well if I put my tin foil hat on for just a moment... the mcbuckets thing is a little interesting because of the timing. It's either because of something that has changed, like the clippers trade for Gortat... or the fact that it's so close to the start of FA. And the only reason to do this imo is to make it easier to pursue a RFA. So imo this is either a move for Capela or Jordan.
Maybe they wanted to save the exception for Dirk but Dirk told him he is fine with taking the vet min if everything works out and that they can let the exception for re-signing Doug

Last edited by sefant77; 06-27-2018 at 03:35 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Is Cuban the only owner in the league who now seems to have a habit of paying people more than he should? Isn't this intentionally spilling powder on the ground? :-( It's not our fault he got drafted 'late'. A few hundred k extra probably isn't important, but $2M is. Frankly, its dumb. (and I believe, in general, in keeping your workers happy. But Brunson was just earning...$0. $900k is a huge raise.)

Last edited by BigDog63; 06-27-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #10
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Is Cuban the only owner in the league who now seems to have a habit of paying people more than he should? Isn't this intentionally spilling powder on the ground? :-( It's not our fault he got drafted 'late'. A few hundred k extra probably isn't important, but $2M is. Frankly, its dumb. (and I believe, in general, in keeping your workers happy. But Brunson was just earning...$0. $900k is a huge raise.)
He IS in that habit and my smart $ is on us about overpay again (Jordan for 25m per when the market say 18 may be an overpay).

I think in the case of Brunson though the extra $ can be used as leverage if they expect him to outplay his contract. They give him more $, he signs for 3 years and we keep him under our control for presumably longer. Both parties win.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #11
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I think in the case of Brunson though the extra $ can be used as leverage if they expect him to outplay his contract. They give him more $, he signs for 3 years and we keep him under our control for presumably longer. Both parties win.
That makes sense, then. Spending more money now to save money later (as opposed to simply spending more money now, as they did with Matthews).

I do think he'll outplay his contract. Even in a backup role. If you're a solid contributor on a team in the NBA, you're worth more than $900k.