Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-09-2021, 02:00 PM   #41
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

OK here's an update on KP and it looks like he's getting back closer to bubble KP but the Mavs defense as a whole isn't something KP is going to fix which is why I said keep him but find another big who can play with him to help out this defense. They have no Rim protection when KP sits and WCS who can rim protect seems to have taken a back seat to Powell who doesn't provide any rim protection.

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/02/...-25-twolves/5/
Do not look now, but KP is finally starting to hit his stride. He won the Defensive Player of the Game belt for the first time this season to go along with his standout offensive numbers.

The Dallas Mavericks need Porzingis playing at an All-Star level to make a deep playoff run this season. Fans are starting to see that KP again. Over his last five games, the Unicorn averages 22.6 points, 9.8 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks per game on 47.7 percent shooting from the field and over 41 percent on his 3-pointers.

The Mavericks need him anchoring the defense too. All six blocks came in the first three quarters. Dallas allowed too many easy shots at the rim in the fourth as the Timberwolves got back in the game.

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-09-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2021, 01:32 AM   #42
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I figure this deserves a bump after KP dropped 36 tonight. He still looks to me like he's struggling defensively, but he's playing with confidence once again, and perhaps most importantly, he's hitting his threes.

So far in the month of February before tonight's game (the stats haven't been updated yet in any of the sites I checked), KP is averaging 21.3 ppg, 8.8 rpg, off of .471 fg%, and a very, very nice, very crisp .389 fg%. Those numbers will look even better after tonight's scorcher.

My stance on him hasn't changed. I still don't think he's good enough to be a reliable #2 on a championship contender. But I'm a little less on the "trade him now, he's garbage," cliff. I don't think you can win a title with him as your second best player. But if he's the third best player? Then you've got something.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:53 AM   #43
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I figure this deserves a bump after KP dropped 36 tonight. He still looks to me like he's struggling defensively, but he's playing with confidence once again, and perhaps most importantly, he's hitting his threes.

So far in the month of February before tonight's game (the stats haven't been updated yet in any of the sites I checked), KP is averaging 21.3 ppg, 8.8 rpg, off of .471 fg%, and a very, very nice, very crisp .389 fg%. Those numbers will look even better after tonight's scorcher.

My stance on him hasn't changed. I still don't think he's good enough to be a reliable #2 on a championship contender. But I'm a little less on the "trade him now, he's garbage," cliff. I don't think you can win a title with him as your second best player. But if he's the third best player? Then you've got something.
That game where he had 6 blocks recently was nice.

I think if the Mavs perimeter defenders improved just a bit it would make KP look a little better.

Right now we can't stop anyone from getting to the rack which is a bit concerning because I thought once Maxi, DFS and Richardson all came back the Mavs would be improved defensively.

Boy was I wrong
Old 02-13-2021, 01:56 AM   #44
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Right now we can't stop anyone from getting to the rack which is a bit concerning because I thought once Maxi, DFS and Richardson all came back the Mavs would be improved defensively.

Boy was I wrong
Yeah... I'm really hoping that will just come with time and that they're still just getting re-acclimated/recovering from Covid. Because all three of those guys historically are capable defenders. There's no reason our perimeter defense should be this bad.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:12 PM   #45
Quantum

Quantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the rough

Mavs should try getting KP more shots super early in the game like this last one. He is probably one of those players that if you establish confidence early...he plays the rest of the game strong because he wants to have a big/good game.

Giving him a couple of looks in the first probably is not the best way to use KP. Give him the ball early...if he is hitting shots its going to help is confidence/rhythm and really help the outlook of the game.

Reworded...maybe he gets disinterested and doesnt play as hard if hes not scoring.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:23 PM   #46
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Mavs should try getting KP more shots super early in the game like this last one. He is probably one of those players that if you establish confidence early...he plays the rest of the game strong because he wants to have a big/good game.

Giving him a couple of looks in the first probably is not the best way to use KP. Give him the ball early...if he is hitting shots its going to help is confidence/rhythm and really help the outlook of the game.

Reworded...maybe he gets disinterested and doesnt play as hard if hes not scoring.
BINGO!!!!

I've been saying this all year, run him more plays or get him shots early.

Luka is going to eat regardless because he can create his offense but with KP you got to feed him and keep him engaged. I like when Rick calls set plays for him because on this team if Rick doesn't call set plays we have some players that will tend to for get about getting KP touches and go shot hunting on their own.

We need someone like J.KIdd on that unit who will run that flow offense as a true PG and set him up in his sweet spots when Luka takes a breather.

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-13-2021 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:28 PM   #47
Quantum

Quantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the rough

I keep hearing KP talk about getting in a rhythm but I always assume hes talking about multiple games to get back from injury ha.

Dallas41...Im sure you/someone more bball inclined than me has said this...but it jumped into my head after seeing KP hot early. I thought that maybe thats the best way to get the most out of him. Engaged is the perfect way to say it...get him/keep him engaged.

Last edited by Quantum; 02-13-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:21 PM   #48
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We need someone like J.Kidd on that unit who will run that flow offense as true PG and set him up in his sweet spots when Luka takes a breaher.
Not even a talent as elite as Kidd

JJ Barea from a couple of years ago would be ideal for this team
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #49
Quantum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Not even a talent as elite as Kidd

JJ Barea from a couple of years ago would be ideal for this team
Can I ask a question from an uneducated fans perspective?

If another team drafts someone(lets say Second round and a point guard) but looks decent from limited playing time...what is the NBA standard compensation for someone like that? He currently just rides the bench.

Im sure its difficult based on each teams needs, are they contending or not, is the Second round pick a long term project, potential, etc etc.

Would the team holding the player ask a lot based on the player being young and potential?(even though a second round pick) As in...is the price usually way too high when trading for a rookie?

Last edited by Quantum; 02-13-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #50
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Usually young players are never traded unless it is in a big trade. Every NBA team needs cheap talent to fill out the roster and you never know when a young player will blossom into rotation player
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:05 PM   #51
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Can I ask a question from an uneducated fans perspective?

If another team drafts someone(lets say Second round and a point guard) but looks decent from limited playing time...what is the NBA standard compensation for someone like that? He currently just rides the bench.

Im sure its difficult based on each teams needs, are they contending or not, is the Second round pick a long term project, potential, etc etc.

Would the team holding the player ask a lot based on the player being young and potential?(even though a second round pick) As in...is the price usually way too high when trading for a rookie?
It varies widely based on many factors. The Suns got a first round pick from Dallas for Steve Nash, who was buried behind Kidd and KJ on the depth chart. I think they used it to draft Marion.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #52
Quantum

I assume Dallas isnt interested in that kind of cost for an inexperienced PG that would only play 20 minutes a game?

Everyone seems to suggest we need a secondary playmaker and a 4 position. Brunson has looked good lately at secondary ball handler plus play making...but people seem to suggest he is up to get paid soon and we cant afford him...so trade him since his value is high right now. I assume he would be used to get a starting 4 position player or 2nd/3rd star ballhandler/playmaking scorer?

This leads me to think that if Brunson is used to acquire a 4 and we dont get a secondary ballhandler back...we would then have a need at secondary ballhandler. Would Mavs put themselves in that position again for a starting 4? Or has Brunson proved the secondary ball handler it too important? I get that our front court defense is in need of someone better than what we have...does that outweigh ballhandler having seen what Brunson playing more does?
Old 02-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #53
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Some updated #'s on KP defensively. It doesn't look good unfortunately and it brings up a good discussion in order to hide or reduce his defensive flaws should WCS minutes as a backup increase just a little bit more?

The Dallas Mavericks entered the 2020-21 season as a buzzy candidate to finish among the top four seeds in the Western Conference. Instead, they’re currently 13-15 and may have to survive the play-in tournament to earn their playoff spot.

Luka Doncic is playing like an MVP candidate, averaging 29.1 points, 9.4 assists and 8.6 rebounds per game, but he’ll need more help for the Mavericks to contend for a title this year.

Kristaps Porzingis is rounding into form after missing the first few weeks of the season to recover from a torn meniscus, although he’s still a step slow defensively. The Mavericks are allowing 119.5 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor compared to 108.7 per 100 with him off, which is the biggest defensive on/off split of any Dallas rotation player.

The Mavericks’ historic offense has cooled off a bit, too. After averaging an NBA-record 115.9 points per 100 possessions last year, they’re down to 112.9 per 100 this year, which ranks ninth league-wide. Meanwhile, they’re 27th in defensive rating, allowing 114.6 points per 100 possessions.

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-16-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:26 PM   #54
Super B

Super B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the rough

I don’t know how anyone at this point can justify keeping KP.

Seriously the Mavs need to unload KP for anything. If they can get anything of decent value at all for him, they need to do it. Dumping his salary is a huge plus. Dumping him even for spares (non-rotation players) would be addition by subtraction.

Super B

Last edited by Super B; 02-26-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Super B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:15 PM   #55
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super B View Post
I don’t know how anyone at this point can justify keeping KP.

Seriously the Mavs need to unload KP for anything. If they can get anything of decent value at all for him, they need to do it. Dumping his salary is a huge plus. Dumping him even for spares (non-rotation players) would be addition by subtraction.
I think they need to keep him and add another piece around him and Luka that can help shoulder the offensive load.

If they do a trade him as a salary dump as you mentioned would you happy with this team being one year removed from the playoffs to not even making the playoffs this year and not having a 1st round pick either?

I would consider that a year you wasted with Luka on your roster.

And sure people can say it's only one year things will get better.

But how do we really know things will improve around Luka under the FO?

IMO as things stand right now I'd say it's 50/50 the Mavs could potentially have Luka a very long time and still not have the right supporting cast around him based on their roster building over the last decade.

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-26-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #56
Super B

Super B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation

Quote:
I think they need to keep him and add another piece around him and Luka that can help shoulder the offensive load.
Like I said, I don’t know how anyone can justify keeping KP. Regardless of what pieces they add.

The ball is in your court. You must justify to me keeping KP. Not the other way around.

Quote:
If they do a trade him as a salary dump as you mentioned would you happy with this team being one year removed from the playoffs to not even making the playoffs this year and not having a 1st round pick either?

I would consider that a year you wasted with Luka on your roster.
The Mavs aren’t making the playoffs as things stand. With KP. Without KP. Either way, they won’t make the playoffs.

Unless the Mavs make some deals to bring in some scoring/creating help for Luka. And get some interior help, defense and rebounding.

Quote:
And sure people can say it's only one year things will get better.

But how do we really know things will improve around Luka under the FO?

IMO as things stand right now I'd say it's 50/50 the Mavs could potentially have Luka a very long time and still not have the right supporting cast around him based on their roster building over the last decade.
Sorry, I don’t know what “FO” is. But we don’t know anything. No one can predict the future. However we can use logic to determine what is plausible, probable or likely. We must remove emotion. That means letting go of attachments. Like Kristops Porzingus.

It is very likely Luka walks when his deal is done. His frustration gleams. Only a moron doesn’t recognize that. He is a born winner. Staying on a team with no hope and no future will drive him away.

Super B

Last edited by Super B; 02-26-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:52 PM   #57
Super B

Also, the Mavs need to make some changes.

Fire Donnie Nelson.
Fire Rick Carlisle.
Cuban needs to sell the team.

None of that will happen, therefore this conversation is irrelevant. They are doomed to fail due to mismanagement and incompetence.

Super B

Old 02-26-2021, 05:30 PM   #58
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

The Return of Super B.
Is there anything else you want to get off your chest? Please nothing positive though. I can feel your anger. It makes you strong!
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #59
Super B

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
The Return of Super B.
Is there anything else you want to get off your chest? Please nothing positive though. I can feel your anger. It makes you strong!
That’s cute.

Are you suggesting this Forum is a place for people who just want to praise the Mavs and deny any possibility there might be problems?

I only wish to be honest.

Super B

Old 02-26-2021, 07:40 PM   #60
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for keeping us all in check, Super B. I was hopeful about the direction the FO is taking and understood that it would some time for this to work. Not being able to count on KP has set us back.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #61
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas Mavericks star Kristaps Porzingis on his injury and the trade rumors
KP had this to say about his back injury.

“Today, I went full practice. Felt pretty good. I hope I can play tomorrow. It is always tough to sit out and not be able to play, but I just try to stay focused on the work I need to do to come back as soon as possible and feel good on the court. That’s most important. When I’m out there, I want to help my team and play at the level that I know I am capable of.”

Coach Rick Carlisle noted during his media availability that he expects Porzingis to play barring a setback in the morning. It is fantastic that the Unicorn is feeling better and should be ready to star in the team’s final three games before the All-Star break.

KP also had this to say about the recent trade rumors that were put out there.

“It came out. It is what it is. I don’t know what is going behind the scenes and I shouldn’t be too worried about it because it can only distract me at the end of the day. I try to focus on being in the moment and being here day-to-day. Putting in the work with my teammates and getting better. I’m just focused on playing, playing better, and getting wins now.”