Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #1121
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I see absolutely no scenario where the Thunder...a team actively tanking and rebuilding would trade for KP.
Why?

They will rebuild through the draft, only SGA will have a contract expiring soon, and it seems unlikely they will attract FAs in the next couple of years. It seems to me like this is the perfect time to trade one big salary for another, especially when there is a potential huge payday if KP regains his unicorn level of play. If not, they trade him when he has a year left on his contract when the market is perhaps a bit better. I would agree that it would seem likely that if they are expecting to trade Horford, they would find a better deal, but again it seems to me the time is perfect to take a gamble on someone like KP.

Last edited by purplefrog; 06-12-2021 at 05:07 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2021, 05:33 PM   #1122
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Why?

They will rebuild through the draft, only SGA will have a contract expiring soon, and it seems unlikely they will attract FAs in the next couple of years. It seems to me like this is the perfect time to trade one big salary for another, especially when there is a potential huge payday if KP regains his unicorn level of play. If not, they trade him when he has a year left on his contract when the market is perhaps a bit better. I would agree that it would seem likely that if they are expecting to trade Horford, they would find a better deal, but again it seems to me the time is perfect to take a gamble on someone like KP.
Id be surprised if they take that big of a risk after they spent all that time and energy tanking to have the first big move to rebuild be an oft-injured player who was a shell of himself. Imo, you gotta make the first step count.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:31 AM   #1123
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Id be surprised if they take that big of a risk after they spent all that time and energy tanking to have the first big move to rebuild be an oft-injured player who was a shell of himself. Imo, you gotta make the first step count.
I get it. OKC has multiple first round picks in the next three or four drafts and their focus will be to choose wisely and develop those players. KP could be (likely be?) a distraction to those efforts. Alternatively, Horford's salary + first round picks could come in handy if a superstar like Lillard demands a trade. Moreover, KP could hinder the development of Moses Brown, Darius Bazley, and Isaiah Roby. Part of the OKC equation is their timeline for a return to the playoffs. If management sees two, three or four years down the line is acceptable, then you develop your young players. However, if there is pressure to win now, then you make a trade given you are flush with young assets and draft picks. I agree, the timeline is more likely the former scenario (patience and build for the future), but I also wonder if the franchise will remain in OKC if progress is not made in the next couple of years. The mayor of Kansas City invited OKC to move and while that did not seem to gain any traction, I do not believe they can go too long without competing for a playoff spot. There will be pressure to have success in the draft and have at least one or two of their young talent develop into all-stars rather quickly. The advantage of a trade for KP would be the Thunder would not likely have to add any of their first round picks.

Last edited by purplefrog; 06-13-2021 at 08:37 AM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #1124
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Why?

They don't want Horford though. They literally sat him home so they could tank lol.

The only reason they even traded for Horford was to get the 1st round pick in return. They're trying to trade their overpaid star player so for them to bring in another guy who fits the bill not only seems redundant but makes no sense. If the Mavs offered a 1st rounder with KP then I could see it possibly.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:00 AM   #1125
Unicorn

Unicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really nice

Giannis injured Kyrie last night, in a similar way he did with KP`s knee in Garden. Coincidence?
Old 06-20-2021, 10:10 PM   #1126
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Interesting scenario

Would you trade KP for Ben Simmons and then play Simmons at the 4?

Sixers would probably want someone like Brunson included in the deal.....

Luka
THJ
DFS
Simmons
??????

Remember the system would most likely change under a new coach no more 5 out offense. Possibly more attacking the rim or more focus on pace and transition offense
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #1127
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Interesting scenario

Luka
THJ
DFS
Simmons
??????

Remember the system would most likely change under a new coach no more 5 out offense. Possibly more attacking the rim or more focus on pace and transition offense
We would need the ?????? in your scenario to have discernible basketball skills on the offensive side such as create his own shot and perhaps average 20 points per game otherwise Luka will have no choice but to put up 30 shots a night as Simmons is showing acute offensive regression syndrome. A syndrome which can be deadly to your NBA longevity. Think about the knock on effect his ineptitude on offense has on the rest of the team - Teams can simply sag off of him basically giving every team a double team opportunity. Simmons is an elite on ball defender and can block a 3 point attempt on you with ease.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:31 PM   #1128
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
We would need the ?????? in your scenario to have discernible basketball skills on the offensive side such as create his own shot and perhaps average 20 points per game otherwise Luka will have no choice but to put up 30 shots a night as Simmons is showing acute offensive regression syndrome. A syndrome which can be deadly to your NBA longevity. Think about the knock on effect his ineptitude on offense has on the rest of the team - Teams can simply sag off of him basically giving every team a double team opportunity. Simmons is an elite on ball defender and can block a 3 point attempt on you with ease.
Yeah I'm not sure there's a 4/5 that can play at Center and get you 20 that is available.

But it seems like a star that has slipped a bit like Simmons might be the type of move the Mavs could get for KP.

I think could thrive at the 4 as a Point Forward and be utilized as a post up threat and someone who could play in transition a little more for the Mavs.

I also like his defensive versatility for this team

I know it's just pipe dreaming but I wonder if the Mavs would consider him since his stock has dropped a bit now much like KP's
Old 06-20-2021, 10:52 PM   #1129
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure there's a 4/5 that can play at Center and get you 20 that is available.

But it seems like a star that has slipped a bit like Simmons might be the type of move the Mavs could get for KP.

I think could thrive at the 4 as a Point Forward and be utilized as a post up threat and someone who could play in transition a little more for the Mavs.

I also like his defensive versatility for this team

I know it's just pipe dreaming but I wonder if the Mavs would consider him since his stock has dropped a bit now much like KP's
I would bite if we somehow could flip KP for Simmons.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:35 PM   #1130
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Interesting scenario

Luka
THJ
DFS
Simmons
??????

It would take me about 3 seconds to say yes. Not happening though.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:55 AM   #1131
Stylistic
Golden Member

Stylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of light

Hard for me to want Simmons. He is too arrogant, prideful, and a mental midget. He doesn’t want to improve his game at all. He can give you defense for sure but when his offense is not on, even that is affected. That was a disgraceful performance by Simmons. Pass on him. The Sixer fans want to shop him out tonight.

The Sixers were effectively playing 4 on 5 on offense with Simmons on the court.

Last edited by Stylistic; 06-21-2021 at 12:57 AM.
Stylistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:27 AM   #1132
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylistic View Post
Hard for me to want Simmons. He is too arrogant, prideful, and a mental midget. He doesn’t want to improve his game at all. He can give you defense for sure but when his offense is not on, even that is affected. That was a disgraceful performance by Simmons. Pass on him. The Sixer fans want to shop him out tonight.

The Sixers were effectively playing 4 on 5 on offense with Simmons on the court.
Right which is exactly why the Mavs should make this move.

Simmons replaces KP he then fills several needs that people on here complained about with KP

Defense being primary he becomes a switchable defender from 1 through 4. In fact he instantly becomes the mavs best wing defender since S.Marion.

He also fills the secondary ball handler role and you could move him to PF which many feel is ultimately his best position.

Obviously if the Mavs move away from the 5 out offense he could be used more as a post up option at the 4 and someone who could attack more for this team in transition.

Both players are probably at their lowest trade value right now so swapping them for each might actually work knowing what each team needs how they benefit the other team moving forward.

Fans of both cities have clearly given up on each player lol
Old 06-21-2021, 02:01 AM   #1133
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

This is Morey we are taking about though. And KP doesn’t exactly fit with Embiid. I wish it could but it’s just not happening. Even if we throw in Brunson. They will have offers that are a better fit.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:01 AM   #1134
mac222b
Diamond Member

This is Morey we are taking about though. And KP doesn’t exactly fit with Embiid. I wish it could but it’s just not happening. Even if we throw in Brunson. They will have offers that are a better fit.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:28 AM   #1135
Unicorn

Unicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really nice

Luka and Simmons can`t shoot free throws, yes good combo boys
Old 06-21-2021, 02:58 AM   #1136
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

I want to trade Porzingis but my god, not for Ben Simmons. He's a complete disaster. Good defender but his defense does not make up for his offense. Teams could double Luka more and leave him on an island and he won't make them pay or send him to the free throw line and it's like a turnover.

That would be another trade like Curry/Richardson where a year from now people are bitching that we made it.

Last edited by JustJay; 06-21-2021 at 03:04 AM.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #1137
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Ben for KP = when Twitter hacks infiltrate dal-mavs.com

Old 06-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #1138
Zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Ben for KP = when Twitter hacks infiltrate dal-mavs.com
Twitter hacks probably would have had better 2019/2020 draft and player acquisition.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:21 AM   #1139
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Tim MacMahon: At this point, the sense that I get is that Kristaps Porzingis would not mind a fresh start. But his approach going into the offseason is, okay, I’ve got a healthy offseason, which has been rare for him. He needs to work on his body, he needs to work on his game. And that he is determined to to come back and prove that he is a star-caliber player. Whether he’s coming back to another franchise or not, that’s not within his power. But my understanding is he had very productive conversations with Mavericks player development staff. –
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #1140
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Tim MacMahon: At this point, the sense that I get is that Kristaps Porzingis would not mind a fresh start. But his approach going into the offseason is, okay, I’ve got a healthy offseason, which has been rare for him. He needs to work on his body, he needs to work on his game. And that he is determined to to come back and prove that he is a star-caliber player. Whether he’s coming back to another franchise or not, that’s not within his power. But my understanding is he had very productive conversations with Mavericks player development staff. –
Old 06-21-2021, 10:08 AM   #1141
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

If he was our 3rd best player making 20 million a year we'd be contenders (assuming he can stay healthy) but he's our 2nd best player making 30 million a year by far the most of any until Luka's extension.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:23 AM   #1142
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I'm starting to come around on Mosley if he can get it right with KP. I like a young hungry coach that is popular with the players. I mean, how many times has a player tweeted that a team should hire a coach the way Tristan Thompson did?

Obviously want the new GM to decide, but I'm starting to distance my thoughts on guys like D'Antoni and Stotts.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #1143
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'm starting to come around on Mosley if he can get it right with KP. I like a young hungry coach that is popular with the players. I mean, how many times has a player tweeted that a team should hire a coach the way Tristan Thompson did?

Obviously want the new GM to decide, but I'm starting to distance my thoughts on guys like D'Antoni and Stotts.
I’m torn on Moseley. While the players seem to like him how much different is his system going to be from Rick’s considering he is coming from his coaching tree? Also Moseley has been in charge of our defensive assignments for the last 2 years, and I don’t think anyone would argue we have been terrible defensively. Some of they might be due to personnel, but we have still been down right awful. It will be a step down for sure in experience, as Rick is one of the longest tenured coaches in the league. D’antoni intrigues me because you know he will figure out a way to get KP involved, but he’s never been defensive minded. Same with Stotts.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #1144
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I’m torn on Moseley. While the players seem to like him how much different is his system going to be from Rick’s considering he is coming from his coaching tree? Also Moseley has been in charge of our defensive assignments for the last 2 years, and I don’t think anyone would argue we have been terrible defensively. Some of they might be due to personnel, but we have still been down right awful. It will be a step down for sure in experience, as Rick is one of the longest tenured coaches in the league. D’antoni intrigues me because you know he will figure out a way to get KP involved, but he’s never been defensive minded. Same with Stotts.
Defensive scheme is concerning. Also, will he adopt Rick's offensive scheme? The extra boost you may get with a new voice and different motivation may be countered by the inexperience and willingness to continue to run things that aren't great. Its not hard to imagine a brand new head coach wanting to hit the ground running with some continuity and familiarity so he just keeps these systems in place. Imo the schemes need updating.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:25 PM   #1145
JustJay

What about Mosley as coach and D'antoni (if he would agree) as offensive coach? I want no part of D'antoni as head coach but I would be intrigued to see what he can do with Luka and KP as he's an offensive genius.

But he probably would want to be HC or nothing.

Last edited by JustJay; 06-21-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:28 PM   #1146
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
D'Antoni would be my second choice, but he and Stotts just don't win when it counts. No doubt they would give us a great regular season next year, but it's the Doc Divers dilemma.

No question though Mosley is a gamble. Just not a ton of choices.

Billups intrigues me a bit/.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:36 PM   #1147
JustJay

Also I believe there are 7 head coaching openings right now. Maybe Luka moves up towards the front but our front office might push us towards the back of most wanted available job so who knows.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:54 PM   #1148
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
D'Antoni would be my second choice, but he and Stotts just don't win when it counts. No doubt they would give us a great regular season next year, but it's the Doc Divers dilemma.

No question though Mosley is a gamble. Just not a ton of choices.

Billups intrigues me a bit/.
Billups and Hammon both have second interviews with Portland. I’m surprised Mark Jackson’s name hasn’t popped up as a potential coach with all the vacancies.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #1149
SMC0007
Guru

I'm interested in Hammons. She may not be at the top of the list but I hope she is interviewed here for sure. A pop branch who has great reviews from respected players about toughness, relatability and legit coaching chops is intriguing. Cuban always seems to push the envelope so it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear her name in the mix. The main thing I see holding us back from pulling the trigger on her is that it's an intensely crucial time to build around Luka and make the most out of it. We can hardly afford the word gimmick thrown around in our situation.

Last edited by SMC0007; 06-21-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:20 PM   #1150
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

After thinking about it more, I vote NO on Mosely.

Mavs need a complete break from previous dysfunction. That means both GM and coach need to come from outside the organization.

If this happens then I think the Mavs get at least a year or 2 of reduced Cuban if they are lucky. If not, buckle up for extended Jerry Jones 2.0 and Luka leaving in 3-4 years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by turin; 06-21-2021 at 05:22 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #1151
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
After thinking about it more, I vote NO on Mosely.

Mavs need a complete break from previous dysfunction. That means both GM and coach need to come from outside the organization.

If this happens then I think the Mavs get at least a year or 2 of reduced Cuban if they are lucky. If not, buckle up for extended Jerry Jones 2.0 and Luka leaving in 3-4 years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
HC will undoubtedly be decided by Luka imo. Whoever the GM is I'd be shocked if they don't ask for Luka to weigh in. If he wants Mosley it's his job. But a lot of players usually like coaches with some level of success, especially in a situation like this. If Mosley isn't given a HC job elsewhere he could stay here as an assistant in Luka's mind. A name I haven't seen used much is Kenny Atkinson. I actually rly think he got a raw deal in Brooklyn when KD and Kyrie came. He was a great coach I thought and got the most out of a mediocre Brooklyn roster. He's now one of a handful of assistants with Clippers(Udoka, Billups, Atkinson) who legitimately should be considered for HC positions. But does Luka view him like that or does he see KD and Kyrie wanted a bigger name to be the HC.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:24 PM   #1152
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth pointing out that regardless of who is hired as HC the staff is just as important if not more so. Going back to Rick's success it's debatable how much he benefitted from Casey and Stotts. Some attribute more of his success to them than others. And currently looking at the Clippers I personally think Ty Lue is an average at best coach but I can't deny the adjustments they have made in the playoffs. I personally attribute it more towards his excellent staff with the 3 great assistants I mentioned previously.

So I do think that whoever the HC is it will be more for Luka's benefit and could be a name to project stability or confidence. The assistants will be just as important though.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:08 AM   #1153
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Rumors: Dallas Mavericks interested in Kelly Oubre Jr. this offseason
Fischer made it known that the Mavs attempted to trade Kristaps Porzingis for Oubre Jr. before the deadline. The deal did not get done, and Dallas is changing leadership this offseason. It will be interesting to see how much the new front office values KP, and if they attempt to move him this offseason.

Kelly Oubre Jr. is set to be an unrestricted free agent. Fischer reports the Warriors, Nets, and Spurs as other teams with rumored interest in the 25-year-old wing. He made $14.375 million last season and will be searching for a raise in free agency. It will be interesting to see which team signs him this offseason. Fischer also notes Golden State could look into sign-and-trade scenarios with Oubre Jr. as they attempt to jump back into title contention.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:08 AM   #1154
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Fischer made it known that the Mavs attempted to trade Kristaps Porzingis for Oubre Jr. before the deadline. The deal did not get done, and Dallas is changing leadership this offseason. It will be interesting to see how much the new front office values KP, and if they attempt to move him this offseason.

Kelly Oubre Jr. is set to be an unrestricted free agent. Fischer reports the Warriors, Nets, and Spurs as other teams with rumored interest in the 25-year-old wing. He made $14.375 million last season and will be searching for a raise in free agency. It will be interesting to see which team signs him this offseason. Fischer also notes Golden State could look into sign-and-trade scenarios with Oubre Jr. as they attempt to jump back into title contention.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:25 AM   #1155
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:

This makes zero sense to me unless they just wanted to salary dump KP. They had to have been asking for Wiseman or that Minny luck with him.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:30 AM   #1156
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
HC will undoubtedly be decided by Luka imo. Whoever the GM is I'd be shocked if they don't ask for Luka to weigh in. If he wants Mosley it's his job. But a lot of players usually like coaches with some level of success, especially in a situation like this. If Mosley isn't given a HC job elsewhere he could stay here as an assistant in Luka's mind. A name I haven't seen used much is Kenny Atkinson. I actually rly think he got a raw deal in Brooklyn when KD and Kyrie came. He was a great coach I thought and got the most out of a mediocre Brooklyn roster. He's now one of a handful of assistants with Clippers(Udoka, Billups, Atkinson) who legitimately should be considered for HC positions. But does Luka view him like that or does he see KD and Kyrie wanted a bigger name to be the HC.
I’m all in on Atkinson! he’s an excellent coach and we have some young guys that he could help develop. They did a great job with that in his time in Brooklyn and they drafted well, which he presumably had at least some hand in. They did him dirty there, but to be expected from the likes of Kyrie and DeAndre.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:13 PM   #1157
sig

sig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the rough

If you salary dump KP then that opens up a lot of FA money, right? Not that it is good FA year but cap space for trades is good. How is the OKC salary space looking. They have Walker and a lot of low salaries. Maybe they could pair KP and Walker? If nothing else those 2 help them meet minimum salary while they hash out the infinite amount draft picks they have in the next 3 years. My target would be Suggs in the draft and OKC might be high enough to get him. They have no center and would rpobably lean towards drafting Mobley but as negative as everything is around KP, I believe 26 year old KP will still be a lot better for the next 3 years than Mobley and as mentioned they have a ton of draft picks.

Last edited by sig; 06-22-2021 at 06:14 PM.
sig is offline   Reply With Quote