Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the Mavs Fire Head Coach Rick Carlisle?
Fire Him 10 47.62%
Keep Him 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2021, 12:31 AM   #41
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Dallas Mavericks rumors: Rick Carlisle eying potential Bucks opening

Dallas has not won a playoff series since winning the championship in 2011. In Rick Carlisle’s 13 seasons as Mavericks head coach, the team has made the playoffs nine times. They have only advanced past the first round twice. Some fans thought the team would consider a coaching change this offseason, but owner Mark Cuban was quick to dispel those rumors following their playoff exit.

The Mavs want to keep Carlisle, but he may be looking to move on. Bleacher Report’s Jenna Ciccotelli reported the 61-year-old is eyeing the Milwaukee Bucks head coaching job if it becomes available this offseason. Get the latest here.

The Athletic reported (subscription required) on June 14 that there is plenty of front office dysfunction in Dallas. They noted that Haralabos Voulgaris “has frequently gone as far as scripting the starting lineups and rotations for longtime head coach Rick Carlisle”. The front office issues could be causing Carlisle to look elsewhere.

The Dallas Mavericks need to clean things up. They are at risk of losing one of the best coaches in the NBA in Rick Carlisle. Beyond that, superstar Luka Doncic could be on his way out if the roster around him does not improve quickly. The Rick Carlisle rumors should have owner Mark Cuban looking in the mirror and making changes.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2021, 08:16 AM   #42
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Dallas Mavericks rumors: Rick Carlisle eying potential Bucks opening

Dallas has not won a playoff series since winning the championship in 2011. In Rick Carlisle’s 13 seasons as Mavericks head coach, the team has made the playoffs nine times. They have only advanced past the first round twice. Some fans thought the team would consider a coaching change this offseason, but owner Mark Cuban was quick to dispel those rumors following their playoff exit.

The Mavs want to keep Carlisle, but he may be looking to move on. Bleacher Report’s Jenna Ciccotelli reported the 61-year-old is eyeing the Milwaukee Bucks head coaching job if it becomes available this offseason. Get the latest here.

The Athletic reported (subscription required) on June 14 that there is plenty of front office dysfunction in Dallas. They noted that Haralabos Voulgaris “has frequently gone as far as scripting the starting lineups and rotations for longtime head coach Rick Carlisle”. The front office issues could be causing Carlisle to look elsewhere.

The Dallas Mavericks need to clean things up. They are at risk of losing one of the best coaches in the NBA in Rick Carlisle. Beyond that, superstar Luka Doncic could be on his way out if the roster around him does not improve quickly. The Rick Carlisle rumors should have owner Mark Cuban looking in the mirror and making changes.
Pretty sure Rick already shot this rumor down.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:56 AM   #43
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

"They noted that Haralabos Voulgaris “has frequently gone as far as scripting the starting lineups and rotations for longtime head coach Rick Carlisle”

WTF???

Also wonder if there is any friction btwn Carlisle and Luka...or if by giving him free reign (something he usually doesn't do for PG's) it's creating any friction elsewhere.

Read the Athletic article...the friction is apparently between Voulgaris and Luka:

"Voulgaris has had a significant impact on the Mavericks over the past three seasons, from draft picks to playing style and lineup configurations. That impact includes a strained relationship with Doncic, which predates an incident in February in which the 22-year-old All-Star snapped back at a Voulgaris courtside reaction, multiple team and league sources said."

Well, if you're going to sign Luka to that $200M Max extension, and there is friction with Voulgaris...then Voulgaris is out. You don't waste a $200M investment to protect somebody making maybe $5M, and who is more replaceable. Further, I'm not sure his impact has been that positive (who feels we've done great drafting?). Maybe on the others...not sure. But is this why we used KP the way we did? If so, I'd say that's a negative, not a positive.

Also potentially some friction due to this between the team and RC:

"Via The Athletic:

"Doncic’s relationship with his head coach, Rick Carlisle, has "been publicly scrutinized since joining his team. It’s expected Carlisle will return next season, multiple league sources say.

During the season, it was believed Carlisle’s future could be reconsidered following the season, partly due to a belief Doncic had tuned him out.

Sources say some players have been frustrated with Carlisle after they lost playing time despite doing exactly what they felt he had asked of them, and for stiff rotation patterns."
Doesn't mention if there is any friction between RC and Cuban. If he's looking to go elsewhere, one would assume there is, at least a little...likely due to the above (being dictated the lineup).

That aside, which is the better opportunity? One could make the case its the Bucks. The Bucks might also benefit from new blood...as might the Mavs.

As for shooting it down...these rumors are ALWAYS shot down. Doesn't mean they aren't true.

Last edited by BigDog63; 06-16-2021 at 09:44 AM.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #44
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Going to revisit this this time next year
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #45
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

So much for all the rumors not being true

I suspect Luka and RC really did butt heads and moving forward it's best for the Mavs
Old 06-17-2021, 04:04 PM   #46
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I said after that knicks game the Mavs responded very well to Mosley

According to ESPN’s Tim MacMahon, there had been “simmering tension” between Carlisle and Luka Doncic. MacMahon also noted that Doncic is a fan of assistant coach Jamahl Mosley:

Luka Doncic is a strong supporter of Mavs assistant coach Jamahl Mosley. “He’s got the things that are needed for a head coach," Doncic said after Mosely's one-game fill-in for a win over the Knicks this season. "He can be the head coach, for sure.”

Last edited by Dallas41; 06-17-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #47
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
That helps but I also think sometimes players just need to hear a different voice

Too many fans think just because you don't want RC anymore it means you think he's a bad coach.

I personally don't....

I don't like his small ball lineups but mostly I just think the Mavs need someone else voice to be heard
I think that may be the case. Not sure if Mavs were at that state, but over time, particularly without continued success, that tends to be the case...and the Mavs may benefit from a different voice.

Last edited by BigDog63; 06-17-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #48
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I have to say that I am glad Rick is gone. I hope the Mavs do something radical and exciting. They are the Mavs. Could even be a female coach!
Old 06-17-2021, 06:50 PM   #49
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Jalen Rose and J.Will both like Mosely to get a gig somewhere this year
Old 06-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #50
BigDog63

FWIW.

I'd wager that Carlisle will have whatever team picks him up in the Conference Finals within his first 2 years. Part of that is having a choice of good teams, but teams that haven't made that leap. The rest, though, I think will be due to Carlisle.

Will the Mavs make similar progress? I would hope so, but not so sure.

Which isn't to say necessarily that this is a bad thing. Might work out for both teams. Might not have worked out for Mavs if he stayed---in fact, I suspect it wouldn't, and RC knew it, hence him leaving. But I do think he'll succeed to a fair degree wherever he goes. Not so sure on Mavs. Hope so, but not so sure. The whole let the gambler run things is not a good sign...if indeed that was really what was happening.

Last edited by BigDog63; 06-17-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #51
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

So organization may be standing by the core group of players. That's what I am getting from this. I don't think they're giving up on KP.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:36 PM   #52
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
FWIW.

I'd wager that Carlisle will have whatever team picks him up in the Conference Finals within his first 2 years. Part of that is having a choice of good teams, but teams that haven't made that leap. The rest, though, I think will be due to Carlisle.

Will the Mavs make similar progress? I would hope so, but not so sure.

Which isn't to say necessarily that this is a bad thing. Might work out for both teams. Might not have worked out for Mavs if he stayed---in fact, I suspect it wouldn't, and RC knew it, hence him leaving. But I do think he'll succeed to a fair degree wherever he goes. Not so sure on Mavs. Hope so, but not so sure. The whole let the gambler run things is not a good sign...if indeed that was really what was happening.
I think RC's personality wears on people, so he will have more success earlier rather than later in his tenure. Young NBA millionaires tend to not stay too long in unfun environments if they have options to play elsewhere.

I can see why some FA's may have avoided the Mavs because of Carlisle. The way he treated Salah was unprofessional to say the least. Relationships matter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by turin; 06-17-2021 at 08:36 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #53
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
So organization may be standing by the core group of players. That's what I am getting from this. I don't think they're giving up on KP.
With KP's current market value and contract, he's the 2nd most important issue after keeping Luka happy imo.

Don't underestimate the impact of wholesale changes on players and their attitudes providing real changes are made.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:51 PM   #54
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The excuse used by Carlisle supporters is that he won every series that he was favored and only lost when he was not favored

It would be a leap for him to take a franchise into the upper tier in 2 years since he won't be favored
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:48 PM   #55
BigDog63

Possible replacements

I kinda like Pablo Lasso. Mavs are, and have been for a while, the most Euro centric team. Both their top players are Euros. Lasso would certainly have a strong relationship with Luca. This is different than why this failed previously in Cleveland with David Blatt. He didn't have a relations with Cleveland's star(s)..and seemed to never get their respect. I think that would come quickly here. Could work.

Wouldn't mind seeing Hammon, but would like to know more about what she brings to the table that would specifically help here. Lasso seems to fit that bill better.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:52 AM   #56
Unicorn

Unicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really nice

Rick was fired because he couldn't figure out how to use Luka and KP more effectively against Clippers
Old 06-18-2021, 04:07 AM   #57
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
Rick was fired because he couldn't figure out how to use Luka and KP more effectively against Clippers
KP couldn’t figure out how to use KP more effectively.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #58
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
Rick wasn’t fired…
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #59
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
lmfao
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:58 AM   #60
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Rick is going to be just fine.

I could see him end up in any of the star-loaded teams waiting to pounce on a chance for a championship.

The future in Dallas looks cloudy though. There is a lot of pressure to put a championship team around Luka, which is good. But young coaches and executives might take a chance too many, waste round picks in search of the key trade, and hamper the future of the franchise.

I would have preferred one more "regular" season under Donnie and Rick before making big calls like these.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #61
taibumu

taibumu will become famous soon enoughtaibumu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Possible replacements

I kinda like Pablo Lasso. Mavs are, and have been for a while, the most Euro centric team. Both their top players are Euros. Lasso would certainly have a strong relationship with Luca. This is different than why this failed previously in Cleveland with David Blatt. He didn't have a relations with Cleveland's star(s)..and seemed to never get their respect. I think that would come quickly here. Could work.

Wouldn't mind seeing Hammon, but would like to know more about what she brings to the table that would specifically help here. Lasso seems to fit that bill better.
It's Pablo Laso. He and Obradovic are the most successful coaches in Europe. Probably better than the 80% of NBA coaches without doubt.

He have signed a new deal with Real Madrid a few hours ago.

I would like to see one of them in USA. His way to perform is clearly different from NBA coaches. Popovich style.

Enviado desde mi Mi 10 mediante Tapatalk
taibumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #62
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Random thought, if possible Mavs should trade Carlisle for a pick.

Carlisle was still under contract, therefore I believe it is possible.

Last edited by tap2390; 06-18-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #63
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
The excuse used by Carlisle supporters is that he won every series that he was favored and only lost when he was not favored

It would be a leap for him to take a franchise into the upper tier in 2 years since he won't be favored
The shit about him and Luka building up over the years

All that shit is coming out now about Rick

I'm glad his ass is gone and I'm sure his apologist on here will keep defending his ass no matter what.

Mavs could lose in the 1st round for 10 straight years and they'll keep saying Rick is a master at playoff adjustments he just didn't have the best teams

They'll say a team that comes out flat night in and night out showing no energy or effort isn't about coaching that's how much this dude was defended on here year after year.

I said it before all this happened what other sports organization have you heard of that keeps a coach after 6 straight 1st round exits. That's almost unheard of in today's professional sports.

Last edited by Dallas41; 06-18-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #64
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

I don't hate RC like the above poster, but I am not upset that he's gone. You don't get a lifetime pass for 1 championship when you had a top 20 player of all time. I'm not sure why he wasn't fired already and he was able to leave voluntarily. So the lifetime pass was still in play for some reason but he decided to end it.

Him and Doc Rivers are very comparable IMO as far as how good they are and Doc couldn't keep his job as a Clipper. He didn't get a lifetime pass for 1 championship many years ago, and that was after the Clippers beat RC.

Last edited by JustJay; 06-18-2021 at 12:11 PM.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #65
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
The shit about him and Luka building up over the years

All that shit is coming out now about Rick

I'm glad his ass is gone and I'm sure his apologist on here will keep defending his ass no matter what.

Mavs could lose in the 1st round for 10 straight years and they'll keep saying Rick is a master at playoff adjustments he just didn't have the best teams

They'll say a team that comes out flat night in and night out showing no energy or effort isn't about coaching that's how much this dude was defended on here year after year.

I said it before all this happened what other sports organization have you heard of that keeps a coach after 6 straight 1st round exits. That's almost unheard of in today's professional sports.
I guess it is somewhat impressive that although you say the same thing 6 times every day, at least you slightly change the wording each time. Some people would just copy/paste.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #66
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
ROFL!!!
Old 06-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #67
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
Doc couldn't keep his job as a Clipper. He didn't get a lifetime pass for 1 championship many years ago, and that was after the Clippers beat RC.
"Doc Rivers has stepped down as coach of the LA Clippers in what chairman Steve Ballmer called a "mutual decision.""

Sound familiar?
Old 06-18-2021, 07:19 PM   #68
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Doc couldn't keep his job as a Clipper.
Very possible that Doc just decided he couldn’t deal with the dude who did his daughter dirty.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #69
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I think RC's personality wears on people, so he will have more success earlier rather than later in his tenure. Young NBA millionaires tend to not stay too long in unfun environments if they have options to play elsewhere.

I can see why some FA's may have avoided the Mavs because of Carlisle. The way he treated Salah was unprofessional to say the least. Relationships matter.
I get the impression Rick is more from the Bobby Knight mold. Personally, I like that, but I suspect it does wear on people. It certainly doesn't work if he doesn't have full coaching control...which is probably a big part of why he left.

I do think he works well with those willing to learn, and various of his former players will say that. It's that last part that probably causes issues, and Rick's solution to that is simple. No listen, no play. The ones that really liked Rick were willing to listen, and say they learned a LOT from him, some even saying he revived their career.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #70
BigDog63

Quote:
Him and Doc Rivers are very comparable IMO as far as how good they are and Doc couldn't keep his job as a Clipper. He didn't get a lifetime pass for 1 championship many years ago, and that was after the Clippers beat RC.
Point to consider: Would the Clippers have beaten the Hawks if Carlisle were coaching?

One could certainly make an argument they would have. Despite his lack of consistent playoff success, it's hard to point to any team of Rick's that ever underachieved. Maybe the team before the championship...but Mavs/Spurs had a long history of big battles in the playoffs, ironically often with one as the 2 seed and the other as the 7. But, outside of that...

Rivers, on the other hand, has LOST more potentially series ending games in the NBA than any other coach. Can't get them over the hump. Clippers a huge case in point on that. And now the Sixer's as well.

Last edited by BigDog63; 06-23-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #71
tap2390
Diamond Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ch-sources-say

Carlisle's quotes:

"You never want to get to a point where you ever feel like you're overstaying your welcome, and I just felt like this is the right time," Carlisle said Thursday. "I just have such great respect for [Mavs owner Mark Cuban] and everyone there, and I'm fortunate to move on to another great opportunity."

"My hope is that Jason Kidd will be the next coach of the Mavs because he and Luka have so many things in common as players," Carlisle said. "I just think that it would be a great situation for Luka, and I think it would be an amazing situation for Jason. I'm the only person on the planet that's coached both of those guys and that knows about all of their special qualities as basketball players. To me, that just would be a great marriage, but that's just an opinion."

"I just sent [Doncic] a message thanking him for three amazing years," Carlisle said Thursday. "I learned many things from him, and I told him that I'm glad I'm only going to see him twice a year. I mean it in the most complimentary way, of course.

"I think he's the best young player in the world. I think these three years set up as a major springboard for the next 10 for him. I expect him to be an NBA champion. I expect him to be a multiple MVP winner. I just have an amazing level of respect for his abilities and his grasp of the game. He's truly a once-in-the-generation type player."

"He is a trusted friend and a basketball soulmate," Carlisle said of Cuban. "You occasionally come across people that change your life, and he changed my life, and he changed my family's lives. It's very difficult to come up with a simple statement to thank somebody for the 13 years that I've had with him.

"I just have an amazing amount of gratitude to the city of Dallas, the Mavericks organization, all the players and coaches that I've had an opportunity to work with. Dirk, J-Kidd, [Jason Terry], Luka, Tyson [Chandler], Shawn Marion, J.J. Barea -- there's just so many. It would be very emotional to just try to express all the feelings that I have about it."