Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-07-2021, 10:28 AM   #1
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Things to work on

FT shooting for Luka
Why do we never see Luka and KP in a pick and roll situation? They should work on that. I think it would be unstoppable.
Get a veteran pg. Get veteran presence in the locker room.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
FT shooting for Luka
Why do we never see Luka and KP in a pick and roll situation? They should work on that. I think it would be unstoppable.
So your solution is for Luka to improve from a top 5 (All NBA player) to MVP. Ok. How about this horrific roster?:
- need another very good 3 and D type player - Saddiq Bey type but gee how could we ever get that
- Another primary ball handler that can actually play alongside of Luka
- A more consistent 3 point shooter (THJ type but actually better)
- Anyone who can consistently create their own shot - other than Luka there is nobody
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
Jayinem
Banned

Jayinem will become famous soon enoughJayinem will become famous soon enough

Trading for Kevin Durant would be a big help.
Jayinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:25 AM   #4
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayinem View Post
Trading for Kevin Durant would be a big help.
KP for KD straight up?
Old 06-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #5
Jayinem
Banned

Jayinem will become famous soon enoughJayinem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
KP for KD straight up?
They can have Powell too, should make it even.
Jayinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:09 AM   #6
MariaTurner

MariaTurner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayinem View Post
They can have Powell too, should make it even.
I think they do not pursue these goals! : D

Last edited by MariaTurner; 06-19-2021 at 01:25 PM.
MariaTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #7
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
So your solution is for Luka to improve from a top 5 (All NBA player) to MVP. Ok. How about this horrific roster?:
- need another very good 3 and D type player - Saddiq Bey type but gee how could we ever get that
- Another primary ball handler that can actually play alongside of Luka
- A more consistent 3 point shooter (THJ type but actually better)
- Anyone who can consistently create their own shot - other than Luka there is nobody
That's an odd characterization of what you quoted.

Last edited by Some Guy; 06-17-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #8
Zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
That's an odd characterization of what you quoted.
That's an odd response to my response that Luka improving should be at the bottom of everybody's list. That was my point.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it’s a no brainer that Doncic needs to improve on his FT shooting. There are many things that need to be improved upon… many of these require assistance in some capacity from other teams and/or players outside of the Mavs organization. But one thing that can be improved that is completely within the control of someone in the organization is Doncic’s FT shooting.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #10
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I think it’s a no brainer that Doncic needs to improve on his FT shooting. There are many things that need to be improved upon… many of these require assistance in some capacity from other teams and/or players outside of the Mavs organization. But one thing that can be improved that is completely within the control of someone in the organization is Doncic’s FT shooting.
Holger
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:53 PM   #11
Zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Holger
It's the only thing that Trae does better than Luka, being lucky enough to have a good team assembled around him in 1 years time not withstanding
Old 06-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #12
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Well I wouldn't call it lucky... their front office actually spent their money signing guys like Bogdan in free agency even if they were not absolute perfect fits. Ours had wet dreams of Giannis for 2 years. After they had wet dreams of <insert every superstar for over a decade here>.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:28 PM   #13
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Well I wouldn't call it lucky... their front office actually spent their money signing guys like Bogdan in free agency even if they were not absolute perfect fits. Ours had wet dreams of Giannis for 2 years. After they had wet dreams of <insert every superstar for over a decade here>.
It helps when running a 5-out, 3-pt centric offense to not trade your best 3-pt shooter for... whatever that was we got...mostly crushing disappointment.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:46 PM   #14
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
FT shooting for Luka
In regards to Luka's free throw shooting, I think he just needs to come up with something that works and is totally unorthodox. Remember Nick Van Exel's 18 foot free throw?
Old 06-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #15
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
In regards to Luka's free throw shooting, I think he just needs to come up with something that works and is totally unorthodox. Remember Nick Van Exel's 18 foot free throw?
I feel like sometimes it looks like he just chucks it up there, like he has no process. Luka seems like a rhythm shooter, that benefits from making moves. Kind of like how Shaq had such a soft touch around the rim while making post moves, but just threw up bricks while taking the set shot from the ft line.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #16
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Got to give it up to Atlanta....

As you stated they didn't waist time chasing big fish

They simply went after the best FA's available

Dallas either waited on a BIG fish or they declined to go after certain guys because they didn't fit the system

To make matters worse Atlanta did all of this despite having a midseason coaching change.

The way those players have responded to McMillan is just awesome.

I'm be honest I never thought Trae Young would have more post season success than Luka this early especially with this being his 1st go at it

Last edited by Dallas41; 06-20-2021 at 09:47 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:55 PM   #17
Zeus

Quote:

Dallas either waited on a BIG fish or they declined to go after certain guys because they didn't fit the system

To make matters worse Atlanta did all of this despite having a midseason coaching change.

I'm be honest I never thought Trae Young would have more post season success than Luka this early especially with this being his 1st go at it
You got to give it up to Trae. In a game 7 he was unselfish enough to go 5 for 23 and 2 for 11 from 3 so he could build confidence in his teammates. That is unselfishness for you. No in all honesty good for the Atlanta organization and Trae. Even though the Mavs hands down got the best player in the draft in in the past 10 years we managed to do absolutely nothing in terms of team building. Of course the delusional Mavs fans including many here think its just a matter of time and experience and working on stuff. Dallas41 said it many times, the Mavs always dreamed for the big fish and ignored building with quality mid level type guys and of course famously whiffed in the 2020 draft with 3 all NBA Rookie team guys going after Josh Green not to mention Tyrese Maxey. So bottom line: Atlanta's team was good enough to have Trae have a horrible shooting night yet still beat a quality team in a game 7. Thanks a lot Mark, Donnie, Rick...

Last edited by Zeus; 06-20-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:21 PM   #18
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hawks have an actual GM who ever since getting to Atlanta has executed a plan. The Mavs have an owner who depending on the day will listen to a different source as to what move to make for roster building. It's like building a house with 6 different blueprints mixed together- If it wasn't for Dirk and then Luka the place would have fallen apart long ago.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #19
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

The Hawks success this post season is more to do with playing in the East and having a competent front office to build a better team to surround their young star quicker. Absolutely no merit to any Trae vs Luka talk based on this postseason.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #20
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
FT shooting for Luka
Luka and KP had, I believe, the highest pick and roll efficiency in the league. Which REALLY makes you wonder why it disappeared in the playoffs.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:45 PM   #21
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:

Yep. Pretty much no one did.

I look at this way. Who would have thought that Luka would turn out to be as good as he is, and Atlanta would STILL have no regrets about that trade at all.

Similar, I think, to Dirk and Paul Pierce.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:49 PM   #22
BigDog63

This really belongs in a Jason Kidd thread (which I am going to start), but...

How is Jason Kidd going to help make all these needed changes better than Rick Carlisle would have? I'm looking at Kidd's past work as a coach...and not seeing it. Who or what did he make better at the places he coached?
Old 06-25-2021, 05:32 PM   #23
Zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Yep. Pretty much no one did.

I look at this way. Who would have thought that Luka would turn out to be as good as he is, and Atlanta would STILL have no regrets about that trade at all.

Similar, I think, to Dirk and Paul Pierce.
If both stay healthy I don't think there will be any doubt who is a top 8 all time player when we look back circa 2037.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:46 AM   #24
matteberry58

matteberry58 is on a distinguished road

Just watched game 4 of Suns vs Clippers and I'm wondering if KP is capable of being the Mavs DeAndre Ayton. Right now I'm leaning toward a negative opinion due to KPs limited mobility and less eager to mix it up in the paint. I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
matteberry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:57 AM   #25
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteberry58 View Post
Just watched game 4 of Suns vs Clippers and I'm wondering if KP is capable of being the Mavs DeAndre Ayton. Right now I'm leaning toward a negative opinion due to KPs limited mobility and less eager to mix it up in the paint. I hope I'm wrong.

I think that's a big discount to Ayton and his abilities and age. Injuries aside, KP can certainly incorporate more of what Ayton does, but the latter is a much better rebounder and physical presence in the paint. I think Ayton is one of the top young bigs in the game...and that maybe be a captain obvious statement.

Who would you take, Ayton or Bam?
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:32 PM   #26
matteberry58

matteberry58 is on a distinguished road

Gotta go with youth and athleticism. Ayton even has a lot of up side.

matteberry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:47 PM   #27
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Well seeing as how KP can't back down Reggie Jackson I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he will never have the paint presence as Ayton. Hell he doesn't have the paint presence of Powell right now for me.