Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-26-2022, 04:42 PM   #881
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
How would Dragic fit into the rotation here? I'm not seeing where I'd poach minutes. If anything maybe from SD and JG, but then again, the 8-man has been solid, albeit for one series.
As much as SD has been disappointing in the playoffs, I don’t think we want/need Goran now.

Before the trade, I’d have penciled him in for that third ball handler spot
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #882
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Despite hating Beverly it’s actually fun to cheer for the Wolves. They play with a ton of passion and they’re giving the Grizz all they can handle
Old 04-26-2022, 09:03 PM   #883
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Despite hating Beverly it’s actually fun to cheer for the Wolves. They play with a ton of passion and they’re giving the Grizz all they can handle
I weirdly want Minn to win. I think it’s because Ja has been crowned as a superstar who some think is better than Luka. Him getting upset in the first round might pump the breaks on that a bit. They do play with a ton of passion which is fun to see. Minn giving it away here though. KAT needs to demand the ball on every possession.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:12 PM   #884
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Trae Young was awful this series against Miami.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:15 PM   #885
BPo001
Diamond Member

Minn down 1 has the ball with 26 seconds. DLo brings it up the court. Doesn’t pass it. No screens set. Drives and takes a terrible shot. Not sure what he was thinking.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:13 AM   #886
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Trae Young was awful this series against Miami.
He is literally terrible 50% of the time which is a weird phenomenon because it goes from AMAZING to TERRIBLE at the drop of a hat. And it happens in the same game, too.

Oh and the worst defender I've ever seen. Yes, worse than Nash or Harden.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:20 AM   #887
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

As much as I liked the Wolves, it was satisfying that they lost because Ja torched P-Bev
Old 04-27-2022, 09:21 AM   #888
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
He is literally terrible 50% of the time which is a weird phenomenon because it goes from AMAZING to TERRIBLE at the drop of a hat. And it happens in the same game, too.

Oh and the worst defender I've ever seen. Yes, worse than Nash or Harden.
given what we've seen up until this point - how valuable is Trae? Can he ever be the best player on a championship team? does he just need more time to improve or is he what he is at this point?
clearly a gifted offensive player but a huge negative on defense. Just so limited on that side of things i don't know that there's any possibility of improvement really...
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:35 AM   #889
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
As much as I liked the Wolves, it was satisfying that they lost because Ja torched P-Bev
He did, but the refs definitely missed some obvious calls in the 4th. One where Ja pushed Pat (I think it was him) out of bounds, and the dunk was a charge. Defender was clearly there before Ja took off. TWolves gave this series away because they should have already sent Memphis packing.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:40 AM   #890
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
given what we've seen up until this point - how valuable is Trae? Can he ever be the best player on a championship team? does he just need more time to improve or is he what he is at this point?
clearly a gifted offensive player but a huge negative on defense. Just so limited on that side of things i don't know that there's any possibility of improvement really...
He has the speed to be a waterbug guard that can at least keep up with his man, but he can't keep up with slower players to save his life. It's so weird. Lack of effort.

I think Atlanta needs a better coach. That would go a long way.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:44 AM   #891
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I mean Nash was like that and he was fairly successful but never won anything.

I still think Nash was 100x the creator, though. His ballhandling and court vision was maybe 2nd or 3rd all-time.

Trae? NBA is trying to make him a star, but he's Stevie Francis at best and without Yao, Francis flared out quick.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:48 AM   #892
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
I mean Nash was like that and he was fairly successful but never won anything.

I still think Nash was 100x the creator, though. His ballhandling and court vision was maybe 2nd or 3rd all-time.

Trae? NBA is trying to make him a star, but he's Stevie Francis at best and without Yao, Francis flared out quick.
I just had a back and forth with a Hawks fan on twitter. I commented on a Statsmuse tweet showing Trae's awful series and how we can put to bed any remaining arguments that Hawks somehow won the trade and if Trae is even in the same atmosphere of Luka.

I also stated I would take SGA straight up over Trae and I don't think I would hesitate.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #893
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I just had a back and forth with a Hawks fan on twitter. I commented on a Statsmuse tweet showing Trae's awful series and how we can put to bed any remaining arguments that Hawks somehow won the trade and if Trae is even in the same atmosphere of Luka.

I also stated I would take SGA straight up over Trae and I don't think I would hesitate.
35% shooting
22% from three
20 field goals made, 24 turnovers

Hard to argue that he didn't have one of the most inefficient series in modern history

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-27-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:38 PM   #894
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:

Well their argument is that he is 6'1. So is Brunson who is averaging 28 ppg in the postseason so....

Old 04-27-2022, 01:04 PM   #895
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well their argument is that he is 6'1. So is Brunson who is averaging 28 ppg in the postseason so....
right... so would you take Trae over Brunson at this point? Since they've been drafted i've wondered what Brunson would be able to do if given the same opportunities that Trae has.
They've both had 4 years to grow and adapt to the NBA game.
no question the hawks should be looking for a better coach, but interesting how things have flipped compared to this time last year when the hawks were headed to the ECF and Brunson had struggled vs. the clips again...
Old 04-27-2022, 09:42 PM   #896
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Trying to take the Third seed was a good idea

Suns are tough, but Nuggets are also trash
Old 04-27-2022, 09:52 PM   #897
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://streamable.com/wf62kq

Crazy home cooking

Dray grabs Gordon’s leg to pull him down/injure him. Refs call Gordon for the tech.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:53 PM   #898
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Brothers screws the pels
Old 04-29-2022, 08:00 PM   #899
BPo001
Diamond Member

The Philadelphia 76ers have reached the second round, but at the cost of the MVP candidate.

Sixers star Joel Embiid is out with no timetable to return after sustaining a right orbital fracture and mild concussion in the team's series-clinching Game 6 win over the Toronto Raptors in the first round.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:15 PM   #900
Scoobay
Golden Member

tpups doing a good job shutting Ja down tonight - 3-10 shooting, 5 TO's
Old 04-29-2022, 10:31 PM   #901
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://official.nba.com/l2m/L2MRepo...eId=0042100146

Refs admit they screwed up and have the game to the Suns
Old 04-29-2022, 10:40 PM   #902
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
tpups doing a good job shutting Ja down tonight - 3-10 shooting, 5 TO's
Morant was trash but Grizz just feasted on the boards

Almost +20
Old 04-30-2022, 09:50 AM   #903
Scoobay
Golden Member

Quote:
Morant was trash but Grizz just feasted on the boards

Almost +20
Let's not forget KAT "best shooting big man ever" coming up huge with the 6-19 FG performance when it mattered most, including 0-3 from 3 and 6-9 FT.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:17 PM   #904
BPo001
Diamond Member

StatMuse: Desmond Bane averaged 24 PPG on 50/48/90% in the first round. pic.twitter.com/8jdHQUmHqD – via Twitter statmuse
Old 05-02-2022, 12:13 AM   #905
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Warriors closing lineup

Wiggins
Thompson
GPII
Poole
Curry
Old 05-02-2022, 08:54 AM   #906
Scoobay
Golden Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDTrUdGRUvA

Is Rudy Gobert valuable in the playoffs?? - Thinking Basketball
Old 05-02-2022, 09:21 AM   #907
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Warriors closing lineup

Wiggins
Thompson
GPII
Poole
Curry
Context here is that Green was ejected, but yea, pretty much their m.o.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #908
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDTrUdGRUvA

Is Rudy Gobert valuable in the playoffs?? - Thinking Basketball
Great video. So of course Gobert is good at defense, but it's what he costs you that is the main issue. You can't pay him like he is a superstar because he isn't one. And the cost of that, like what happened with the Jazz, is perimeter defense.

Perimeter defense>around the basket D. And it's generally cheaper (DFS, Bullock, Green).

And what happens if Mitchell or Clarkson go down? The value of big men like that plummet which is why we traded KP. That's why the Mavs were able to weather Luka going down because we had Dinwiddie as insurance.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-02-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #909
Scoobay
Golden Member

Quote:
Great video. So of course Gobert is good at defense, but it's what he costs you that is the main issue. You can't pay him like he is a superstar because he isn't one. And the cost of that, like what happened with the Jazz, is perimeter defense.

Perimeter defense>around the basket D. And it's generally cheaper (DFS, Bullock, Green).

And what happens if Mitchell or Clarkson go down? The value of big men like that plummet which is why we traded KP. That's why the Mavs were able to weather Luka going down because we had Dinwiddie as insurance.
https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-offseaso...son-interviews

It's interesting to read the Jazz fans' perspective.
There are certainly Gobert apologists and also Gobert haters.

The answer to how the Jazz can fix their issues is probably somewhere in between. No question that the video shows how often the mavs' plethora of on ball dribble drivers were able to get past their man forcing Gobert to collapse. The Jazz have poor on ball defenders who couldn't stay in front of the Mavs 3 headed PG trio. So for the Jazz to be more successful, they need better defenders in general, especially on the perimeter.

The other side of that though, is that Rudy doesn't bring enough offensive game to punish teams for going 5 out. as we saw, the mavs would switch literally anybody to just put a body on Gobert and the Jazz wouldn't pass him the ball or even look his way. When your 5 man is not a threat in the post then it's a lot easier for teams to go 5 out and punish you. So for a max player type of contract, Rudy doesn't bring enough offense to make up for his defensive prowess.

i think this whole analysis is fascinating for Mavs fans clamoring for a big (myself included). Is it enough to have someone in the mold of Gobert (we have the mini version who's not as good at rebounding or defense in Powell)? or do we need someone with better mobility, better outside shooting, enough low post game to punish teams going small, etc?

In that regards i was very interested in EJ Liddell who should project to be at least an average 3 point shooter. At only 6'7" or so he'd be a small ball big man type and my hope for a poor man's Draymond which everyone and their mother is looking for the next one. Would it be good enough for the mavs to get a traditional center?
Old 05-03-2022, 11:21 PM   #910
Scoobay
Golden Member

nasty nasty foul by Brooks on GP2
completely clobbered his head with his elbow/forearm. so dangerous. hope he's ok
hope brooks gets multiple games for that - stupid man.

update: fractured elbow for gp2 - return timeframe unknown - that sucks. bad bad

Last edited by Scoobay; 05-04-2022 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:34 PM   #911
Scoobay
Golden Member

Bucks playing dirty - Bobby Portis throwing elbows and Mess Matthews doing a slide tackle taking a guy out.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:00 PM   #912
Scoobay
Golden Member

Holy…
Gsw shot 63/53/90% en route to 142 points
Coulda been more - they were sloppy with 17 TO’s
Ridiculous
Old 05-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #913
BPo001
Diamond Member

Adrian Wojnarowski: Denver Nuggets center Nikola Jokic has been voted the NBA’s Most Valuable Player for a second consecutive season, sources tell ESPN. A formal announcement is expected this week. – via Twitter wojespn

StatMuse: First 2000/1000/500 season ever. First to average 25/13/6 in a season ever (he’s averaging 27/14/8). First player in top 10 PPG, RPG, APG, FG% in last 50 seasons. Highest PER ever. A worthy MVP -via Twitter statmuse
Old 05-09-2022, 11:22 PM   #914
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Kyle Anderson with a truly legendary FT line

2-7 right now
Old 05-09-2022, 11:32 PM   #915
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

And the Grizz are done
Old 05-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #916
saclare
Platinum Member

Just get through the Suns. I have a really good feeling about this Mavs squad and feel this is the series that decides it all.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:27 PM   #917
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

52 points up for the Grizz
Old 05-11-2022, 10:41 PM   #918
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Three blowouts in 2 days. NBA is weird.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:40 PM   #919
BPo001
Diamond Member

Man what happened to Harden? Awful series for him, and hinestly he just didn’t take that many shots. He took 18 shots in game 4 which was his highest for the season. Is he worthy of a max deal?
Old 05-12-2022, 09:38 PM   #920
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

The redhead ref calling EVERY touch foul on us. We are getting none of those.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote