Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 06-04-2022, 11:07 PM   #121
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I think Jalen?s dad worked under Thibs before, so I don?t know that I?d read too much into it. End of the day I think JB remains in Dallas.
Depends on what others (Knicks?) offer him. If its over $25M/year, I don't think he's worth it. I like him, but he's not a superstar. Can be taken out of games...we saw that too in the playoffs. Plus, no amount of working on his game will ever make him 6'5"
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2022, 12:04 AM   #122
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Yep! Especially agree on Kessler...seems like a great fit. When you pick late in the first round in the NBA draft, you are getting 5th or 6th tier guys...they're all going to have weaknesses. His seem ok given what we need, and his plusses are what we REALLY need. He's big enough, think his rebounding can improve---it's mostly want to.
Well he would be a perfect compliment to Kleber. Kessler is big and slow-ish, so bigs like that have limitations in today's game. Kleber comes in with smaller lineups.

But you still need a big like Kessler at some point and against plenty of teams. Boban once played that role, but he is obviously unplayable now.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:38 AM   #123
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Depends on what others (Knicks?) offer him. If its over $25M/year, I don't think he's worth it. I like him, but he's not a superstar. Can be taken out of games...we saw that too in the playoffs. Plus, no amount of working on his game will ever make him 6'5"
He's not a superstar, but the way I see it, losing him and getting nothing in return is catastrophic. So pay him whatever it takes, even if it's an outrageous overpay. You can always move a bad contract. Overpaying him is a much lesser evil than losing our second best player (which he is) for nothing.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:15 AM   #124
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

After cementing himself this season as Dallas? second-most reliable player behind Luka Dončić, Brunson is expected to command a contract in free agency that meets or even exceeds Fred VanVleet?s recent four-year, $85 million deal with Toronto. 19 hours ago ? via Marc Stein @ marcstein.substack.com
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #125
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
If Stotts doesn't get the Charlotte job, then I'd like to have him back.
I?d take Stotts back real fast, but I believe he turned down an assistant job with the Lakers because he doesn?t want to be an assistant.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:26 PM   #126
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

If JB isn't smart enough to shun any Knicks move then that is on him. What a dead end gig that would be as the 1 guard on a non playoff caliber team in that market. Good luck with that.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:31 PM   #127
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Reminder - in no world do the Mavs let him walk as they are already over the cap. Not like they can use that money elsewhere.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:01 PM   #128
BPo001
Diamond Member

Adrian Wojnarowski: The Utah Jazz requested permission to interview Dallas Mavericks assistant Sean Sweeney for the franchise?s head coaching job, sources tell ESPN. Sweeney also interviewed for Charlotte?s opening in this cycle. ? via Twitter wojespn
Old 06-10-2022, 10:20 AM   #129
BPo001
Diamond Member

Great breakdown of Brunson potential co tract and how sign and trades work with the salary cap.

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/6...BrPM&fs=e&s=cl
Old 06-10-2022, 11:37 AM   #130
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Question: Could Mavs use the Josh Richardson TPE without otherwise reducing their team salary total (waiving players, etc.)? I realize it would increase their luxury tax but am wondering if it is even a consideration under the salary cap rules.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:25 AM   #131
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of things I haven't heard people mention that could swing our cap situation.

1) Kleber can be waived with either no cap ramifications or a $100k penalty before July 3rd. Ntlikina can similarly be waived. We could also use those contracts as so-called trade exceptions if we ID someone that we like.

2) Trey Burke has a player option of $3.3m. I think it's about 50-50 whether or not he exercises that.

3) If Nets don't retain Claxton, they have a trade exception that would fit Dwight Powell's salary extremely well.

In my ideal world, we get rid of Kleber, Powell, and Ntlikina. Go after Isaiah Hartenstein. Draft BPA at #26.

Last edited by tap2390; 06-11-2022 at 10:30 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:32 AM   #132
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Touched on this above, but I am in LOVE with Isaiah Hartenstein's game. He is the perfect center for us.

Here is a great article that touches on his strengths:

https://www.basketballnews.com/stori...-secret-weapon
Old 06-11-2022, 11:48 AM   #133
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
A couple of things I haven't heard people mention that could swing our cap situation.

1) Kleber can be waived with either no cap ramifications or a $100k penalty before July 3rd. Ntlikina can similarly be waived. We could also use those contracts as so-called trade exceptions if we ID someone that we like.

2) Trey Burke has a player option of $3.3m. I think it's about 50-50 whether or not he exercises that.

3) If Nets don't retain Claxton, they have a trade exception that would fit Dwight Powell's salary extremely well.

In my ideal world, we get rid of Kleber, Powell, and Ntlikina. Go after Isaiah Hartenstein. Draft BPA at #26.
I can?t imagine they dump Maxi for nothing. I?d like to have Frank back. He played meaningful minutes for us in the playoffs. If he can work on his corner 3?s this offseason and shoot 37% or above he will be a rotational piece.

Considering Burke was out of the league before we picked him up (I think) I can?t imagine him not opting in.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:59 PM   #134
Zeus

Quote:
I can?t imagine they dump Maxi for nothing. I?d like to have Frank back. He played meaningful minutes for us in the playoffs. If he can work on his corner 3?s this offseason and shoot 37% or above he will be a rotational piece.

Considering Burke was out of the league before we picked him up (I think) I can?t imagine him not opting in.
Letting Maxi go is a bad idea. Trading him for something more useful making the trade math work is more logical. Or just keep him as he is a useful piece of the rotation.
Old 06-12-2022, 01:01 PM   #135
Zeus

I encourage you all if you havent to lisent to Mavs Party: The CBA explained with Kirk Henderson and CBAMavs that posted on the Mavs Moneyball podcast network this past Tuesday. Our cap vice is more constraining than you can imagine.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:53 PM   #136
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Touched on this above, but I am in LOVE with Isaiah Hartenstein's game. He is the perfect center for us.

Here is a great article that touches on his strengths:

https://www.basketballnews.com/stori...-secret-weapon
I've really warmed up on Hartenstein too.
The more I watch his game on video, and the more I read on him, I think he'd be a great fit for our system.
If we can somehow sign him, I think it will be at least as successful as Bullock but maybe even better.

He checks a lot of the boxes, and would finally give us some legit size and presence in the middle with enough skills to stay on the floor.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:03 PM   #137
tap2390
Diamond Member

Thunder trade #30 and 2 future 2nd Rounders for JaMychal Green (1 yr., 8m), '27 Protected 1st Rounder.

These are the sort of deals we should be looking for with our 1 year contracts -- Kleber, Powell, Brown, Ntlikina, Green, etc.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:11 PM   #138
Zeus

Quote:
Thunder trade #30 and 2 future 2nd Rounders for JaMychal Green (1 yr., 8m), '27 Protected 1st Rounder.

These are the sort of deals we should be looking for with our 1 year contracts -- Kleber, Powell, Brown, Ntlikina, Green, etc.
The Nuggets now have picks 21 and 30. Will be their last chance to add to their core most likely. Gee 21 and 30.. I remember when the Mavs were in a better position in 2020 with picks 18, 31 and 36. Look how that influx of talent helped the Mavs

Last edited by Zeus; 06-13-2022 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #139
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Yea, we know. You keep posting about it.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #140
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Latest from Jake Fischer saying that the Pacers are still shopping Myles Turner. Interesting if true.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-chicago-bulls

Old 06-14-2022, 09:42 AM   #141
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Latest from Jake Fischer saying that the Pacers are still shopping Myles Turner. Interesting if true.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-chicago-bulls
Scroll a little further and you?ll find this:

The Dallas Mavericks, picking No. 26, and Golden State Warriors, picking No. 28, are motivated to find deals for their late-first round selections, sources told B/R. Dallas and Golden State have expensive rosters that feature players such as Brunson, Jordan Poole and Andrew Wiggins who are due for paydays.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:48 AM   #142
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Scroll a little further and you?ll find this:

The Dallas Mavericks, picking No. 26, and Golden State Warriors, picking No. 28, are motivated to find deals for their late-first round selections, sources told B/R. Dallas and Golden State have expensive rosters that feature players such as Brunson, Jordan Poole and Andrew Wiggins who are due for paydays.
Yeah I hope not. Last year's 26th pick averaged 10 ppg for Denver. The idea that you just give up and think you need to develop anyone that lands at 26 is just lazy. Bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

No if they get a ready to play guy like Holmes, fine. Just don't squander it because of cap issues.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:32 PM   #143
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah I hope not. Last year's 26th pick averaged 10 ppg for Denver. The idea that you just give up and think you need to develop anyone that lands at 26 is just lazy. Bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

No if they get a ready to play guy like Holmes, fine. Just don't squander it because of cap issues.
I was about to respond to you in the other thread, but here will do lol

I think a move such as trading this year's 26th for something next year that could realistically be projected as an earlier pick isn't punting this draft. It would be more about opening up several options and a move that the FO only really does if they don't get the sense the impact type of players will fall to 26. A higher pick in a deeper draft next year could be much more valuable as would the idea we could then be open to trading future draft picks if that move was made. I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up to chasing superstars, more to obtaining flexibility and potentially more value down the line.

It wouldn't break my heart to not pick at 26, I would just need to see the future potential in doing so. Looks like the Mavs FO is doing the same and gauging the market for such a move. Unfortunately, draft night likely brings the most value for a pick so late in the 1st round.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:33 PM   #144
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I was about to respond to you in the other thread, but here will do lol

I think a move such as trading this year's 26th for something next year that could realistically be projected as an earlier pick isn't punting this draft. It would be more about opening up several options and a move that the FO only really does if they don't get the sense the impact type of players will fall to 26. A higher pick in a deeper draft next year could be much more valuable as would the idea we could then be open to trading future draft picks if that move was made. I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up to chasing superstars, more to obtaining flexibility and potentially more value down the line.

It wouldn't break my heart to not pick at 26, I would just need to see the future potential in doing so. Looks like the Mavs FO is doing the same and gauging the market for such a move. Unfortunately, draft night likely brings the most value for a pick so late in the 1st round.
It wouldn't break my heart if we didn't desperately need a center. Like I would start basically any decent big in this draft over Powell. The current climate for getting one is one of the worst in years either through trades or FA. Holmes is the most realistic trade target, but again, such things are just theories until they actually happen. And FA has maybe Biyombo for what we can afford?

Powell has been on the team for 8 freakin' years. Every summer we think we're moving on from him only for that to not happen. Until we upgrade, I'm gonna be on about it because it's untenable.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:36 PM   #145
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we could move back into the 2nd round AND get a future pick.
Then we could maybe pick up someone like Kamagate, Koloko, or Robinson.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:43 PM   #146
rimrocker
Diamond Member

I still think Hartenstein would be a decent move to help address our front court situation.
Just seems to be on the verge of a breakout season.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:06 AM   #147
BPo001
Diamond Member

Mavs TPE broken down

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/6...PdiU&fs=e&s=cl
Old 06-15-2022, 08:11 PM   #148
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

WE GOT WOOD!!!!

For Boban, Chris, Burke and the 26th pick. No way Donnie ever pulls a move like that off. What a steal.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-15-2022 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:12 PM   #149
BPo001
Diamond Member

Luka Doncic has a new pick-and-roll partner, while the Houston Rockets are once again retooling for the future.

The Dallas Mavericks reached a deal to acquire center Christian Wood from Houston in exchange for Boban Marjanovic, Sterling Brown, Trey Burke and Marquese Chriss and the No. 26 overall pick, according to The Athletic's Shams Charania.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:17 PM   #150
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Think about getting Deandre Ayton production for basically the 26th pick. Wow.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:26 PM   #151
BPo001
Diamond Member

I thought you can?t trade 1st round picks in consecutive years though, so how does that work? Do we have to draft a player for Houston before the trade goes through? Isn?t Wood due for a pretty large extension?
Old 06-15-2022, 08:28 PM   #152
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Think about getting Deandre Ayton production for basically the 26th pick. Wow.
Can?t be mad about that! Curious to see who we find to fill out the bench now too. Deal came out of left field.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:39 PM   #153
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I thought you can?t trade 1st round picks in consecutive years though, so how does that work? Do we have to draft a player for Houston before the trade goes through? Isn?t Wood due for a pretty large extension?
Trade probably doesn't go through till draft night.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:45 PM   #154
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
WE GOT WOOD!!!!
I love it!
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:02 PM   #155
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

FUCK YES! Offseason is off to one hell of a start.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:06 PM   #156
Zeus

Quote:
Yes and Yes but who cares on contract. We got him and if he plays well then more luxury tax
Old 06-15-2022, 09:38 PM   #157
BPo001
Diamond Member

I was just looking at mock drafts today to read about prospects who might be available around the 26th pick. Now I?m watching C Wood highlights. Hell of a move! Can?t wait to see what other moves we make this offseason.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:42 PM   #158
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Yes and Yes but who cares on contract. We got him and if he plays well then more luxury tax
He is eligible for a 77/4 extension 6 months after the trade. No brainer if he plays well.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:50 PM   #159
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

In: Wood
Out: 26th pick, Boban Marjanovic, Marquese Chriss, Trey Burke and Sterling Brown

Nothing too significant lost either. All expiring.

Last edited by JustJay; 06-15-2022 at 09:54 PM.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:03 PM   #160
BPo001
Diamond Member

A starting caliber center on an expiring contract for a bunch of bench guys and the 26th pick. Nice work, Nico.