Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-19-2003, 06:40 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Phoenix is holding their own against SA. The Spurs are being shut down....of course, the Spurs are also playing good defense.

63-62 Spurs in the fourth as I type this. If they don't watch out, the Spurs will amke an early exit from this NBA playoff season. Phoenix is gaining confidence. We'll see how they play att he end of the game...where champs and chumps are separated.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2003, 07:16 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Going down to the wire. It looks like SA will win, but Phoenix has put the fear of god into them.

85-84 with 17.6 secs left.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Amare "The Phenom" Stoudamire nails a three off the glass to tie it at 87 with 7.9 secs left. Too much time.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:20 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

OVERTIME!!!!!!!!!

GO SUNS!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2003, 07:44 PM   #5
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

MURBURY FOR 3....

THAT WAS AMAZING

GREATEST FINISH IN A LONG TIME.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:44 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Spurs win game one, but they knew they were in a dog fight.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:46 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what a shot by Marbury to win the game at the buzzer.

Man, go Suns!!
Old 04-19-2003, 07:47 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

HOLY CRAP! I thought it was over when Duncan got that rebound...HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Where are the spurstard...eh...Spurs trolls now?
Old 04-19-2003, 11:08 PM   #9
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Looks like season series do mean something. What a huge game for the suns.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:59 AM   #10
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...amp;xlc=983839

Admiral doubtful, Willis suspended

By Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

For all the triple-teams, zone defenses, one-too-many bank shots and every other small-ball dilemma Phoenix presents, the Spurs have clung to the simple belief that size matters.

Now the Spurs hope they've been wrong.

With the Suns leading the teams' best-of-seven series 1-0 and more confident than ever, the Spurs learned Sunday that David Robinson likely will miss tonight's Game 2 after injuring his left knee. Later in the afternoon, the NBA also informed them Kevin Willis is suspended after elbowing Phoenix center Scott Williams in the throat Saturday.

The Suns, meanwhile, have done their best to erase the Spurs' only other 7-footer, effectively reducing Tim Duncan to a catch-and-pass distributor.

At the beginning of the series, the Spurs had hoped to exploit their height advantage, with coach Gregg Popovich preaching, "The bigs need to play big."

Now, more than ever, the Spurs need their littles to come up big.

"We can't be scared just because we lose one," guard Tony Parker said. "It was a big win for Phoenix. Now we have to concentrate. Me, (Stephen Jackson) and Manu (Ginobili) are ready to take that challenge.

"We fine. We fine. We fine."

The same can't be said for Robinson. Already periodically troubled by soreness in his right knee, he banged his left knee while taking a charge from Stephon Marbury in Saturday's fourth quarter.

Robinson continued to play, but his knee stiffened overnight. He underwent an MRI on Sunday afternoon and was given a therapeutic injection. He will be evaluated this morning, but team officials do not expect him to play.

In addition to likely losing Robinson's services, the Spurs also will be without Willis, who received a one-game suspension Sunday after being ejected at the end of Saturday's second quarter for his flagrant 2 foul on Williams.

Players receive an automatic one-game suspension after they accumulate three flagrant points in the playoffs. Though Willis, who did not want to talk about the incident Sunday, earned two points for the foul, NBA officials decided he deserved further punishment because he hit Williams above the neck.

With both Robinson and Willis out, Malik Rose is expected to move into the starting lineup. Steve Smith and Danny Ferry, who have both played sparingly the past three months and did not play at all Saturday, could get some minutes off the bench.

"I hope if one of us gets the opportunity, we can go in there and knock down shots and loosen things up for Tim," Ferry said.

Duncan could use some help. The Suns have aggressively double- and triple-teamed him the past two games, limiting him to a total of 20 shots, including 12 Saturday. He averaged 17.2 per game during the season.

"I'm filling my role," Duncan said. "If they're going to take me out of the game, we're going to find somewhere else to go to hurt them."

Unfortunately for the Spurs, Robinson may have hurt the Suns the most. He and Rose frequently cut to the basket for layups and dunks when Duncan was double-teamed in the first three quarters. Phoenix created more problems in the fourth quarter when it switched to a zone and let Bo Outlaw roam.

"I wouldn't be surprised if Tim forced it a little more," Phoenix coach Frank Johnson said, "and said, 'Hey, just tell the other guys to crash the boards.'"

The Spurs will do well enough to simply knock down their open shots. They aggressively drove to the basket but made only 26 of the 41 free throws they earned. They also missed 19 of the playoff franchise-record 24 3-pointers they took.

Parker clanged all six of his threes and made just 2 of 13 shots overall for seven points in one of his worst shooting performances of the season. Privately, the Spurs are worried that Parker's energy waned on offense because he spent much of the game guarding Marbury. In five games against Marbury this season, Parker has averaged 9.6 points on 26.2 percent shooting.

"It was a bad shooting night," Parker said. "It happens sometimes. I just have to concentrate and knock those shots down (today).

"I have another game and I'm going to come back strong. My teammates trust me and they know I'm going to react."

More than any strategic adjustments, Popovich said he was concerned about making sure Parker and his teammates maintained their confidence after Saturday's heartbreaking defeat. The Spurs built two double-digit leads, only to watch Amare Stoudemire bank in a game-tying 3-pointer with 7.9 seconds left in regulation. They appeared to have the game won in overtime but missed three free throws in the final 6.6 seconds, allowing Marbury to throw in a running 3-pointer off the backboard at the buzzer.

"That keeps you up all night long after watching the film," Popovich said. "That was tough. But what's great about the NBA is you play Monday and the last game doesn't mean much."

Tonight the Spurs will learn whether size also means much.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:59 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i've heard alot of talk by spurs players and fans talking about how they were beaten by two lucky shots..

well, unfortunatly for the spurs..luck counts.

Phoenix is a poor road team...that makes the game 1 victory absolutely huge
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:04 AM   #12
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

<< Where are the spurstard...eh...Spurs trolls now? >>

Probably hugging their Tim Duncan bobble head dolls in tears.
As much as I dislike 'em trolls, I still hope and think the Spurs will come back and win the series.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:07 AM   #13
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

If the Spurs don't win this next game, they are going to have an extremely difficult time of winning this series. Tim Duncan is going to need to do a Dirk performance to pull this next game out with both Robinson and Willis out.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:57 PM   #14
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

MRI reveals torn cartilage in Robinson's knee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO -- David Robinson had an MRI that revealed torn knee cartilage, forcing him to miss Game 2 of the Spurs-Suns playoff series Monday night.

He is listed as day to day, but the 7-footer expects to play Friday night in Game 3 in Phoenix.

The San Antonio center tore cartilage late in regulation of Saturday's playoff opener, which the Suns won 96-95 in overtime. Robinson was hurt when he drew a charge on point guard Stephon Marbury.

&quot;I fell back on my knee a little bit and tweaked it,'' Robinson said at Monday's shootaround. He did not practice, and had his left knee tightly wrapped.

San Antonio also will be without backup center Kevin Willis, who was suspended for one game by the league for his flagrant foul on Scott Williams.

Willis, going for a defensive rebound, leveled Williams with an elbow to the throat just before halftime. He was immediately ejected, and on Sunday NBA vice president Stu Jackson suspended him.

With Robinson and Willis on the sideline, 6-foot-7 forward Malik Rose most likely will start and play most of their minutes. Rose started most of the 18 games that Robinson missed during the regular season because of lower back and right knee injuries.

Robinson is confident his teammates will rise to the moment.

&quot;The guys don't get their heads down and they keep playing, and that's what will happen,'' he said.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 05:24 PM   #15
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

If the Spurs don't learn how to play common sense ball, they will lose this series. Both there starting and back up center are not able to play, they are relying way too much on their rookie, and instead of doing the smart thing in playing Duncan at center, they put Malik Rose at center.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 05:33 PM   #16
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I like the upset. But I want to play san antonio in the wcf. The mavs just can't beat LA in LA period.
That was extremely lucky two bank shot threes and one by stoudamire. Amare is going to be a top flight player in this league, most people thought he would hit a playoff wall. Far from it. Season series do mean something phoenix the only team to beat them in a season series.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:22 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

The mavs just can't beat LA in LA period.

What a load of horsepoo.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:40 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Anyways...Game 2 is on.....and it's close in the third.

51-49.....Amare has 0 points and is 0-7.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:55 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

63-62 Spurs after three periods. Looks like another barnburner of a finish in game 2.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:03 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

GO SUNS!!!! I was such a Penny fan. To see him healthy and playing like this is a blessing while other guys like Mcdyess and Grant Hill can't get off the cruches. The only problem if this is a upset is that the Suns will not give the Lakers a hard time and the Lakers will just breeze right through them without a sweat. If Mavs were to play them in the WCF the Mavs would be all winded while the Lakers would be ready to go. I always go for the upset in a series so go SUNS!!!!! I also like Marion, Stout, Penny and Joe. Voskul is a pretty good player. He is always hustling.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:17 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Spurs are starting to roll.....
Old 04-21-2003, 09:26 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

I called it early in game one and got burned, but there is no way that the Suns come back tonight.

SPURS WIN.

Series tied 1-1 going to Phoenix.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:51 AM   #23
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Not having Robinson and Willis definitely hurt them yesterday... Parker's really playing like thrash right now.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:08 AM   #24
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Mission accomplished from the Suns' end of things. They stole homecourt.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:28 AM   #25
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

For all you Suns supporters (or Spurs haters)....

Old 04-22-2003, 09:40 AM   #26
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

That is just so funny. hahaha
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:36 AM   #27
Drbio
Banned

<< For all you Suns supporters (or Spurs haters)....

>>

HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA.....touche'
Old 04-22-2003, 06:38 PM   #28
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

The Spurs have now just exposed themselves. You can see how tired the Spurs are, especially Duncan, that's why if you pay close attention, he didn't really make attempts to get to the hole and didn't play his post game well unless he was already in the paint. That's why he didn't have a high score in the Game 1. They tried so hard to get that #1 seed, and now it's doing them no good.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:53 PM   #29
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I think Suns will win this series. They are playing better ball than Spurs. We can know the result of the series in the third game. If the suns dominate the spurs in the 3rd it all over.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:14 AM   #30
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

<< That is just so funny. hahaha >>

Very funny guys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Not exactly original, but cute...