Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-28-2003, 12:39 AM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Woman Gets 50 Years for Windshield Death

How can anyone leave somebody to die a slow death? Its just sick.

FORT WORTH, Texas - A jury sentenced a former nurse's aide to 50 years in prison Friday for leaving an accident victim to die a slow death while lodged in the broken windshield of her car.

Chante Mallard, 27, could have received anywhere from five years probation to life in prison for murdering Gregory Biggs. She and her family cried after the sentence was read.

"There's no winners in a case like this. Just as we all lost Greg, you all will be losing your daughter," Biggs' son, Brandon, told Mallard's family in a statement he read in court after the sentence was announced.

Brandon Biggs told Mallard he accepted the apology she tearfully offered on the witness stand, "but in return I hope that you will accept my forgiveness and I hope you will accept the forgiveness of Jesus Christ."

Both families declined to comment afterward.

"My heart is heavy, truly heavy," said Norma Carethers, who counseled Mallard in jail as part of a chaplain program.

It took the jury less than an hour Thursday to convict Mallard, who after a night of drinking and using drugs struck Biggs, 37, with her car about 3 a.m. on Oct. 26, 2001. She drove home with the man crumpled in the windshield and left him in her garage to die.

Medical experts testified that Biggs was alive for one or two hours after being hit and probably would have survived had he received medical help.

Defense attorney Jeff Kearney said he was disappointed with the length of the sentence, which was announced after jurors deliberated about 2 1/2 hours. He said an appeal is planned.

"We certainly knew it would be a significant prison sentence based on all the evidence but we were hoping it would be somewhat lighter," he said.

Mallard told the jury Thursday that she was sorry, adding that she didn't call for help because she was scared and didn't know what to do. But prosecutor Richard Alpert said Friday that the case "is all about selfishness."

"Some people lack the moral fiber to do the right thing," he said. "A man is lying in her car moaning and bleeding and she needs someone to tell her what to do? Any decent person would call for help."

Kearney told jurors that Mallard would not have left the man to die if she hadn't been under the influence of alcohol, marijuana and Ecstasy.

Alpert, who had told jurors that Mallard deserved life in prison, said he was pleased with the sentence. "We just wanted to point out that this was a serious case and it needed a serious punishment," he said.

Brandon Biggs testified earlier in the week that his father took medication for bipolar disorder and mild schizophrenia. He said Biggs had been homeless for a couple of years after loaning a girlfriend money and then losing his truck and home.

Biggs' battered body was found in a park the day after he was hit. Authorities had no leads in the death until four months later, when one of Mallard's acquaintances called police and said she had talked about the accident at a party.

Officers went to Mallard's house and found the bloodstained, dented car. They also found the passenger seat burned in the back yard.

Before her trial began Monday, Mallard pleaded guilty to tampering with evidence by burning the bloody car seat. On that charge she was sentenced to 10 years in prison, to be served concurrently with the murder sentence.

A friend of Mallard's and his cousin pleaded guilty to tampering with evidence by dumping the body. Clete Jackson and Herbert Cleveland received prison sentences of 10 years and nine years, respectively.

Old 06-28-2003, 09:11 AM   #2
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

she deservs everything she gets,this is sickening.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 05:52 PM   #3
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

If this doesn't prove it's a bad idea to get drunk and high and then drive I don't know what does.

This is really sick, but I heard she engaged in "romantic activities" with her boyfriend when she got home while the guy she hit was still in her windshield in her garage.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 06:13 PM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: southern_sweets
If this doesn't prove it's a bad idea to get drunk and high and then drive I don't know what does.

This is really sick, but I heard she engaged in "romantic activities" with her boyfriend when she got home while the guy she hit was still in her windshield in her garage.

How can a human do that? How can one make love or engage in romantic activity when you know someone is dying. I am sure most of us will try to save even if a bird was stuck in the wind shield.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:03 PM   #5
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

good post MFF,it looks like this women has no value of humen life,like i said,she deserves everything she gets.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 07:28 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Not long enough.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:19 PM   #7
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

I was hoping she would get life in prison. She makes me want to vomit. I can't believe she worked in a hospital as a nurse's aide. This story totally creeps me out.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:02 AM   #8
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

i've worked in hospitals before and you'd be surprised what kind of people have jobs there. it was sad... even some doctors... definitely some of the aides.

and raefformvp... thanks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 07:50 AM   #9
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
and raefformvp, i'd really appreciate it if you had a little more respect for raef than use a signature like that.
Smiles, I have A LOT of respect for Raef! In my opinion, he has potential to become an all star. However, I started using the name "raefformvp" at dallasbasketball.com and no one took me seriously. So many people would reply to my posts by saying that my username indicated that I had no basketball knowledge. That is why I include my signature. He is my favorite Mav due to a combination of his looks and his play. I will change it so that it doesn't sound so negative, as that was never my intention.

Edit: Update signature.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 09:44 PM   #10
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Woman Gets 50 Years for Windshield Death

that story is just horrible.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:41 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Not long enough.

Her sentence should have been shorter - just long enough to cycle through death row.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:45 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Not long enough.

Her sentence should have been shorter - just long enough to cycle through death row.

Excellent point and a great correction!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote