Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-08-2003, 09:37 AM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Anyone else get the feeling that Zo is not exactly

thrilled with the prospects of playing for the Mavs? Every quote I see, he is talking about trying to stay with the Heat or go somewhere else. He never talks about the "wonderful opportunity available in Dallas. For christ's sake, Cuban is offering him THREE years with the whole MLE, and a chance to be the MISSING piece on a team that went to the Western Conference Finals a year ago. What is there to think about???

He is such a risky proposition with his health, I hope we are not dropping the ball on this one. Cuban needs to find out soon (i.e. today) if Mourning is coming. If he is not he needs to get on the phone to other FA's.

GP's agent has been trying to work on a sign and trade for him, but the Lakers don't have anything that the Bucks like. Would they be interested in NVE (with Cassell gone)?

Unlike Zo, Malone has stated that he would like to come to the Mavs, and he might be going to the Lakers for 1.5 million. Have we at least offered that?

Hey, I'll take Rasho even, but I have a scary gut feeling that the Mavs are going to come out losers in this free agent market. I just don't think this group of guys is one many NBA players want to play with.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2003, 09:42 AM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Zo is trying to get the best possible contract situation for himself. Can't blame him for that.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

I agree. Even with the signing of Mourning, I think the Mavs lose ground on the other powers in the West, except maybe the Kings, who are strapped from making any moves (thank you Keon).

The Spurs look to improve and the Lakers look like there going to sign atleast GP and maybe even Malone to the 1.5

Plus, teams below the mavs, like the Rockets, will only improve.

So I'm hoping Cuban has somehting else up his sleave other than hoping Zo has no other option then signing with Dallas. If we only come away with Zo and a couple of scrubs to fill out the bench then I will be very dissapointed in this offseason.

The question is..what do the Mavs do if Zo decides to sign back with Miami, then it may be to late to get Malone here. A once promising offseason may turn bleak very quickly.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 09:49 AM   #4
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Yep...I'm getting that feeling...but ya never know. Cuban could be smokescreening...but I feel that Zo is still the target. We'll see whether the top FA's want the ring or the money.

I'm just praying that we don't spend this off season chasing wild geese again. We could lose some awfully big ground.

Again, for the record, Zo's health scares the hell out of me.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:52 AM   #5
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Anyone else get the feeling that Zo is not exactly

I'm concerned about that kidney. I'm also concerned about the bench. We are definitely the third best team in the West starting next year unless we get zo AND another impact player, not Malone's old ass either, but somebody young with a FUTURE.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:53 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
Zo is trying to get the best possible contract situation for himself. Can't blame him for that.
You can't blame him for that, but Zo's recent actions and comments make it clear to me that he just wants to land one more big contract for the most money possible. Is that the guy you really want to concentrate all of your efforts on, or do you want a guy like Malone who will sign for next to nothing as long as he feels like he's got a good shot at a title?

Give me Malone.

Old 07-08-2003, 09:55 AM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dallas_esq
I'm concerned about that kidney. I'm also concerned about the bench. We are definitely the third best team in the West starting next year unless we get zo AND another impact player, not Malone's old ass either, but somebody young with a FUTURE.
Who? O'Neal isn't coming here. Maggette isn't coming here. Young talented players don't make it to free agency - only players with some warts on them.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:55 AM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I am scared this is going to be a repeat of last year also. None of the top free agents, the ones we are supposedly pursuing, are coming here? The only one that kinda makes sense for it Kidd, because he lived here. But I am not sure I buy that. Like he has never been to San Antonio? He is a veteran. He lived here and San Antonio is only a 5 hour drive (4 if you floor it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ). I am scared that when this is all over Kidd and Mourning will be in San Antonio, Malone and Glove will be in LA, JO will be a Pacer, and PJ will be in New Orleans.

Then what are we left with?

The same thing as last year.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:55 AM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
I'm just praying that we don't spend this off season chasing wild geese again. We could lose some awfully big ground.
Have no fear, OP. I hear that Raef has re-dedicated himself to becoming a quality NBA center.

Old 07-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #10
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
You can't blame him for that, but Zo's recent actions and comments make it clear to me that he just wants to land one more big contract for the most money possible. Is that the guy you really want to concentrate all of your efforts on, or do you want a guy like Malone who will sign for next to nothing as long as he feels like he's got a good shot at a title?

Give me Malone.
I would love to have Malone but would he sign as cheaply with the Mavs. I doubt it. The Mavs do not have the mystique of the Lakers.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:59 AM   #11
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

He will/would have taken the MLE from Dallas. He will/would have been a bargain for the MLE. At least the Mavs come away with a guy who really wants to win it all.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:05 AM   #12
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

My gut feeling is that this offseason was scuttled when Cuban joy-rided to Miami instead of Salt Lake City on July 1...

We foolishly offended the pride of a Karl Malone who was dying to play here in favor of chasing after the reluctantly churlish Mourning. Even if we do sign Mourning, I doubt he will have close to the impact that Malone would have had on this squad. Just thinking about Big Karl running the pick and roll with Nash, turning us into a dominant defensive rebounding team battling alongside Dirk, utilizing his passing skills to turn us into an even deadlier half-court offensive team, and increasing the level of respect that we garner from the refs is enough to make me angry...

A Mavs' signing of Malone would have also ensured that the Lakers would be talking about signing the likes of PJ Brown or Juwan Howard right now, and their commensurately lowered championship prospects would be far less alluring to Payton. This potential Malone-Shaq-Kobe-Payton juggernaught would have been still-born, and we fans would probably have been none the wiser...

I have always thought that a Mavs signing of Malone would have been an incredible coup for us, and it is beginning to look like not signing him could be a disaster. I actually think that even if the reluctant Mourning can brings us 15 pts and 8 rbs next year, his biggest impact on this team will be his disastrously preventing our potential aquisition of Malone...
Old 07-08-2003, 10:13 AM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Have no fear, OP. I hear that Raef has re-dedicated himself to becoming a quality NBA center.
KG..where did you hear this, I expect that raef will be a big improvement.

I also would still take malone in a heartbeat. They both have the same beef on them and malone is a big mean dude. If mourning starts to balk, I turn to malone immediately.

And we don't really need "young" players here right now. We need the "right" players and they need to toughen us up. That's why if either mourning or malone show up it's all "butter" baby.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 10:14 AM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
We foolishly offended the pride of a Karl Malone who was dying to play here in favor of chasing after the reluctantly churlish Mourning. Even if we do sign Mourning, I doubt he will have close to the impact that Malone would have had on this squad. Just thinking about Big Karl running the pick and roll with Nash, turning us into a dominant defensive rebounding team battling alongside Dirk, utilizing his passing skills to turn us into an even deadlier half-court offensive team, and increasing the level of respect that we garner from the refs is enough to make me angry...
It makes you angry. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Quote:
A Mavs' signing of Malone would have also ensured that the Lakers would be talking about signing the likes of PJ Brown or Juwan Howard right now, and their commensurately lowered championship prospects would be far less alluring to Payton. This potential Malone-Shaq-Kobe-Payton juggernaught would have been still-born, and we fans would probably have been none the wiser...
A very underrated point.

Quote:
I have always thought that a Mavs signing of Malone would have been an incredible coup for us, and it is beginning to look like not signing him could be a disaster. I actually think that even if the reluctant Mourning can brings us 15 pts and 8 rbs next year, his biggest impact on this team will be his disastrously preventing our potential aquisition of Malone...
No doubt about it.

The ONLY way that Mourning makes us forget about Malone is if he comes in and is the dominant inside defender that he once was. That's absolutely the only thing he can bring that Malone couldn't. He doesn't have Malone's scoring or passing skills, and he doesn't have Malone's court intelligence or veteran savvy.

I'm gonna go puke.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:15 AM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Quote:

I also would still take malone in a heartbeat. They both have the same beef on them and malone is a big mean dude. If mourning starts to balk, I turn to malone immediately.

And we don't really need "young" players here right now. We need the "right" players and they need to toughen us up. That's why if either mourning or malone show up it's all "butter" baby.
The Raef quote was a sarcastic reference to a post a few weeks ago (I think by MFFL) saying that the Mavs would be talking about Raef re-dedicating himself after we missed out on all the big FAs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I think Raef could have turned into a really nice player under Malone's tutelage. Oh well.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:17 AM   #16
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Quote:
KG...I just got back last night...please, no jokes until noon...you know the rules !!!

I'm pretty underwhelmed by what I've come back to. We all need to pray REAL HARD.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:17 AM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad you hadn't heard it. I still expect him to get a lot better, I'm still confused as to his play last year. I'm hoping that it was the confusion of getting hit with so many unexpected fouls that he just played tentative all year. That's also why I really want a guy with skins on the wall that will put the hammer down on our big guys. I still think raef will be a keeper.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-08-2003, 10:24 AM   #18
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Raef quote was a sarcastic reference to a post a few weeks ago (I think by MFFL) saying that the Mavs would be talking about Raef re-dedicating himself after we missed out on all the big FAs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I think Raef could have turned into a really nice player under Malone's tutelage. Oh well.
ACKK! I didn't say that about Raef. I expect him to rebound and have a better year but that's it. I would LOVE to see Raef and Bradley spend a couple of years under Malone "tutelage"
Old 07-08-2003, 10:26 AM   #19
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ACKK! I didn't say that about Raef. I expect him to rebound and have a better year but that's it. I would LOVE to see Raef and Bradley spend a couple of years under Malone "tutelage"
Someone jokingly said it. They weren't serious. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2003, 11:10 AM   #20
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Anyone want to bet on who between Mourning and Raef will rack up more minutes, points, rebounds, and blocked shots next year? I think the safe bet is on Raef.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:11 AM   #21
dude1394
Guru

I will agree with that, won't bet against raef.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:13 AM   #22
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Anyone want to bet on who between Mourning and Raef will rack up more minutes, points, rebounds, and blocked shots next year? I think the safe bet is on Raef.
Sadly, you're probably right.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:19 AM   #23
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Mark and Nellie are just too confident,so im pretty sure there's a deal already being set,but i do think that with Malone,we would have been favorites to the title,even if Kidd signs with SA,and GP with LA.
Malone gives us depth we never had before,a player that can generate plays from the post with his great passing abileties,and yet be a deadly offensive threat from Mid-Range.
he will instently become our best offensive rebounder,and on a good night he can get his share of the boards.
combining Dirk with Malone gives us a rebounding adventage we never had before.
besides,i just likes his attitude,its not all about the money.
he could add sooooo much entausiasem and experience to our roster,its just a shame to to hear about him wanting to come over here, and we dont give him the time of day.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:14 PM   #24
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I really think the Mavs are doing the same thing as last year. Going for a FA that's out of their reach and not targeting the correct one. The Mavs could have had Redd if they gave him more money. Lewis was a longshot. Mourning doesn't seem to interested in coming here. Malone wants to play in Dallas. Why not go after Malone. I feel that at the end of this summer, the Mavs are going to be a holding a bag of nothing.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:02 PM   #25
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I feel that at the end of this summer, the Mavs are going to be a holding a bag of nothing.
I'm afraid that the Mavs are going to be having a bag of OTHER nothings.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:19 PM   #26
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

I am getting a feeling that there is a sign and trade in the works that will magically appear on July 16th or shortly thereafter. I think we got Zo wrapped up, and Miami is not making an offer to Zo because they are waiting for the sign and trade proposal that will be official on the 16th. Miami, will then make the offer for us and trade him. This will allow him to make more than the MLE and in return Miami will get someone, which is better than no one. On the other hand, Miami might not want to use the cap space so they can land some high dollar FA, but that looks improbable to me at this point with O'Neal most likely staying in Indiana.

If this deal with Miami is not the sign and trade that happens, then there will be one with someone else, because the FA situation does not seem to be shaping up nicely for Dallas with Malone almost committed to the Lakers. Nellie has said that there needs to be changes in our front line for us to take the next step.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 09:20 PM   #27
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

Ever since this FA period began I have not read where Zo openly talks positively about the Mavs. I am not saying that he dislikes Dallas, but we don't seem to be 1st on his list. Maybe I have missed something somewhere, but, it seems to me that Zo's 1st option is to stay in Miami. It is for this reason that I think Zo will not sign here. If this is true, then the Mavs may have also cost themselves a chance at signing Malone because of their (seemingly) lack of attention given to him.

We may be relegated to the 2nd tier of free agent big men, such as Rasho, Brad Miller, Derrick Coleman, etc.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 AM   #28
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: roadrunner
Ever since this FA period began I have not read where Zo openly talks positively about the Mavs. I am not saying that he dislikes Dallas, but we don't seem to be 1st on his list. Maybe I have missed something somewhere, but, it seems to me that Zo's 1st option is to stay in Miami. It is for this reason that I think Zo will not sign here. If this is true, then the Mavs may have also cost themselves a chance at signing Malone because of their (seemingly) lack of attention given to him.

We may be relegated to the 2nd tier of free agent big men, such as Rasho, Brad Miller, Derrick Coleman, etc.
Norm rumor: NJ has stepped into the bidding for Mourning in order to make it easier to resign Kidd. Kidd can actually end up with more "take home" money now by signing with SA because of the lower cost of living and state income tax, but if Mourning will be willing to take MLE with Mavs, then he would with NJ.

Mourning and Demkembe share Center spot. NJ has been to the finals and this would definitely make them stronger.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:45 PM   #29
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i think i read on a spurs forum that they are actually offering kidd a lot less than the max so that they could sign mourning, too. they were saying that he would end up with more money in nj, regardless of the income tax there.

don't forget collins in the center spot for nj. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2003, 12:59 PM   #30
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Another issue here, unfortunately, is that with LA again becoming so formidable so quickly, the top FAs are bound to look towards the East as a more realistic place to win a championship soon. I'm afraid we're a less alluring destination than at the beginning of the FA period. With the way things are shaping up, we're less of a potential contender. Pair that with our lack of money to spend, and we're going to have a hard time getting any quality FAs.

Here's another little tidbit that makes me ill:

"The Knicks received terrific news yesterday as Real Madrid granted 7-foot teen sensation Maciej Lampe permission to play for the Knicks' summer-league team, sources told The Post." NY Post

Ugh, ugh, ugh. I have that same gut-wrenching feeling of inactivity dread that I did last summer.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:03 PM   #31
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
regardless of the income tax there.
The state income tax thing is SOO overrated. Most basketball players can afford to buy a home in a state where there isn't a state income tax and say that it is their primary home.

Candy man is buying a house in Florida for that very reason.