Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-23-2003, 03:28 PM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stepania

Does anyone know his contract status? At d-b.com they are discussing him. Would you try and sign him? Personally I think he would be a decent bench player. He rebounds very well, and is a pretty good banger.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2003, 03:35 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default Stepania

This is my position with Stepania and even Drobnak. These guys come to the Mavs they will have to start soem games. These are not the guys who need to be starting and that puts us into a situation similiar to last when starting Lafrentz at the center position. Now bringing them here to play with us on the bench isn't so bad but you know what we have about 3 big men who a serviceable centers to come off the bench. I don't think we should bring in another until we get rid of some of them. Now if Mavs can pull of a KT for Bradley trade or anything to get rid of Esch and/or Bradley than we can talk Stepania. I just don't think Mavs should just load up on centers who can't start for teams in this league. I think if you would've grabbed Mourning or Brad Miller than a guy like Stepania makes sense. But when you have Bradley and Esch as your starting centers I think you have to be cautioned on what you bring in here at the 5.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Stepania

i'd like to grab him, if Cubes can somehow get toronto to do the Esch/ LaF for A. Davis deal. Stephania would make a great 3rd center.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:41 PM   #4
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default Stepania

For what we need I would prefer Coleman over Stepania at this point.

I would even consider trying to trade for Calvin Booth instead of signing some of the other centers left in FA at this point. We don't need another bench player at the 5, we need someone to start.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:52 PM   #5
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all
Default Stepania

Status of Esch.....I thought I heard that he's got a serious knee problem that will continue to keep him out of the line-up for quite a while. On top of being overpaid, he's got bad knees. Stepania would only come in to give Bradley a breather...

Yikes...we're down to Coleman, Stepania, Drobnjak and some mystery undrafted foreign center...Not looking good!

I would rather go with Drobnjak out of the group...He's got a dependable mid range jumper and if needed...a 3 pt. shot.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
uberfan
Golden Member

Default Stepania

I didn't think Drobnjak was a FA, or were you suggesting trading for him?
Old 07-23-2003, 04:05 PM   #7
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stepania

Drobnjak is the Fred Flintstone version of Raef. No thanks. I want someone who can rebound and defend.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 04:17 PM   #8
uberfan
Golden Member

Default Stepania

Quote:
[i]Yikes...we're down to Coleman, Stepania, Drobnjak and some mystery undrafted foreign center...Not looking good!
There is always Jelani MCoy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 11:31 AM   #9
uberfan
Golden Member

Default Stepania

I think now is the time to seriously consider Stepania if he can be signed to a reasonable contract. especially with Eschmeyer being out for quite some time.

He is a Center, not a person playing out of position, and at 7' 0" and 255-260 pounds, he gives us some size in the paint. He does have long arms to go with his height and he can rebound.

PG: Nash/NVE/AJ/Daniels
SG: Fin/Bell
SF: TAW/Howard
PF: Dirk/Raef/Najera/Powell
C: Shawn/Step/EE

Pretty weak bench, huh? But we would then have the trade deadline to look forward to [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]